cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps before requesting a line cease

Lurker
Grafter

Steps before requesting a line cease

So, I'm likely to be moving home shortly (i.e. moving out in four weeks) so I need to cancel my PN account.
Obviously my webspace will disappear, so I'll need to move my avatar image, but thats about the only thing that is in my webspace that is still relevant/used.
I have a registered .co.uk domain registered with PN, which my wife uses alongside PNs mail service.
I also have a separate account with 1and1.
Today, I've gone onto the 1and1 portal and requested via their wizard that they become registrar for this domain, and that they are to use their nameservers for this domain too.
Have I done the right thing? Will this domain now be released by PN and moved across to 1and1 without me needing to do anything else?
I've created a mailbox for her on my 1and1 portal in the assumption that the domain transfer will occur ok, and am aware that at some stage email addressed to her domain named email addy will stop arriving via her PN mailbox, and will start to arrive via her new 1and1 mailbox.
Have I missed anything out anywhere here?
10 REPLIES 10
csogilvie
Grafter

Re: Steps before requesting a line cease

I think if it's a .co.uk, you need to request that Plusnet update the IPSTAG to be 1and1s rather than the other way around...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: James_G
Obviously my webspace will disappear, so I'll need to move my avatar image, but thats about the only thing that is in my webspace that is still relevant/used.

You can upload rather than link your avatar image on these forums.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Hi James,
Where are you moving to? Anywhere nice?
As Colin mentioned, you'll need to change the IPSTAG on your domain to move the registration to a different registrar.
Obviously, you'll need to submit a cancellation request with us if you're completely cancelling and not requesting a house move (if you want us to supply your broadband at a new address).
Lurker
Grafter

I can't figure out what the 1and1 IPSTAG is!
I couldn't find it on their site, nor could it find it on the list on PNs site. Does anybody know if they use a different business name/division for domain registrations?
Hoping to move to Guiseley, and fingers crossed we'll be in before Xmas, but we do have to be out of our current home by the end of Sept, hence the house move thing isn't an option.
So, we will be living closer to the exchange, but sadly it means I am moving out of the reach of my current exchange, which is rolling out the FTTC trial.
The law of Murphy etc!
A certain ISP with a horrible website might be calling me in now we are close enough for it to make a difference, who knows though? - I haven't given it much thought yet.
More a case of stopping/cancelling everything, then worrying about what the best deal is from scratch once we get into our new home.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Does this help http://faq.oneandone.co.uk/domains/how_do_i_transfer_my_existing_domains_to_11/5.html
1&1 has a Nominet IPS Tag of "SCHLUND".
http://faq.oneandone.co.uk/domains/how_do_i_transfer_my_existing_domains_to_11/4.html gives more detail
csogilvie
Grafter

Lurker
Grafter

Many thanks chaps - 'tis done!
PS, anybody want to buy blinds/light fittings/sideboard/curtains/curtain poles? Crazy
Lurker
Grafter

As an aside, I presume I can request the cease at almost any stage, so long as I acknowledge that I still have to pay for 30days notice?
Don't want to burn my bridges too before I have to!
James
Grafter

Yep.
Lurker
Grafter

Just to update, all completed last night, with mail client reconfig sorted and tested too.
Mortgage approved.
Ready to go!