cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static ip address

jojojo63

Static ip address

Hmm gonna keep this short and simple, is there any possible way your isp can set which static ip you have?, I currently have dynamic at the moment and if i want static then lets just say the static ip isn't the right combination for me  Wink
10 REPLIES 10
puddy
Grafter

Re: Static ip address

It depends some accounts its standard like mine others you may have to pay.  I thinks its about £1 extra a month
puddy
Mark
Grafter

Not sure where you got that info from puddy. Static IP's are free on the relevant accounts.
Jojo.
If we assign you a static ip we will only change it if you have a very good reason for doing so.
jojojo63

Basically some online games i play are effected by an ip, Every person related to Computer Technology that ive spoke to don't understand how this can effect a game but for one example in a capture the flag based game whenever the flag gets dropped everyone who clicks flag to pick up first, no matter who clicks this flag first whoever has the best Ip useing a certain formula will always get the flag, The formula used to determine which Ip is best is to do with the 3rd and 4th octet of the ip with it being best if the 3rd section is divideable by 8 with the 4th octet as low as possible e.g. - 8.0 or 16.0 etc etc, This is a well known fact throughout the games i play and basically i want to be able to get a divideable by 8 3rd octet with a .0 as the 4th octet on a static Ip so i won't have the constant headache of loseing out on a game were it's caused by the Ip that i currently have. I only really use the net these days to play these games and would like to know if this is even possible?. Thanks Jo.
cp:quote
petejackson
Grafter

Hi Jo Jo.   I've never heard of any game where your IP number gives any advantage over any other player.  Latency, yes.. lag yes but not your IP address.  Some players prefer Static IPs because the servers can 'remember' you.. but the format of the number itself shouldn't matter.  Our IP addresses are given from 'pools' and we can't provide specific numbers in the way you suggest I'm afraid.  Which games are they that you are playing?  Perhaps our other gamers here may be able to provide some tips?
jojojo63

As i said, no one who deals with computer tech can see how it is possible but everyone knows it effects the game (From those who play it) Heres a link from whatismyip forums and basically on this topic the tech admin thinks it doesnt effect it at all but many people that play the game have posted stateing how it effects heres the Url - http://whatismyipaddress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=13407&mode=&show=20 Hope this helps.
Edit: I have been playing this game for 3 years now and i can 100% guarantee that an Ip effects this game server, For example - I have 88.9 Ip at the moment and used to get flag everytime when my mate was there aswell, his Ip is now 8.0 and he always gets the flag.
cp:quote
geewizz
Grafter

I'm a technician and I say that all technical experts know nothing about Runescape, it's mini-games, IP addresses, flags and internets. Listen to the young chap who has spent three years researching this subject and then tell me that he can't have his java ip changed. You experts make me mad sometimes. Grrr!
itsme
Grafter

I believe that the Java IP is the LAN IP of the PC and therefore in the hands of user and not of the ISP.
Unless you know differently
paulh
Rising Star

i think the problem is they're using lps when they ought to be using cds or even mp3s ...
geewizz
Grafter

Grin Top answer!
Not applicable

I think the problem is that people who understand networking tend to get carried away with thinking that its a question about networking.
The plain answer is that its nothing really to do with networking, the issue comes from the way that certain mini-games on Runescape are coded - specifically the way that they decide priority of clicks when multiple ones are received at the same time.
If Runescape uses IP addresses to determine an order to place clicks in when multiples are received simultaneously, then changing IP addresses might be useful - however, I would have expected coders to realise that such an arbitrary method of assigning priority on a permanent basis would be a little unfair - how do we know that they don't change the formula periodically to give everybody a fairish chance over a longer period of time?