cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP?

Not applicable

Static IP?

Have I missed something? Just signed into Connection Settings on the portal and found a couple of extra icons:
Data Transfer Watch and Static IP. Apparently I now have a static IP but am warned that this can expose me to vulnerabilities and I should use a firewall (linky to Zone Alarm). I use the PN firewall plus router and software ones.
How come I now have a static IP?  Nobody told me!  Huh
4 REPLIES 4
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Static IP?

Hi
you should be able to switch between static and dynamic, click the icon and see if you are able to switch.
Ian
Not applicable

Have been informed by CS that this is due to the change to Value. Don't know why this should be. Perhaps this could be explained? Most people wouldn't have known or understood so they should be informed IMO.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm not sure of why you've been told that Value will automatically add a static IP, as this isn't actually part of the package. http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/value_pro/value_faq.shtml#value7
I'll raise the reply to the CSC management for educational purposes.
I can see that you should now be on a dynamic IP again, let me know if you have any problems.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply and the link Chris. It is now back to dynamic but can't understand why it was changed in the first place as I have had no dialogue with PN about needing a static IP (as I have said, I have no use for it).