Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP question related to rDNS

Wulfy
Grafter

Static IP question related to rDNS

Hi folks,
New customer moved over from Sly, and so far 10/10 great customer service (calling me back when Skype was playing up etc etc) now over to the question.

I'm a Linux server admin and often end up having to vpn into remote servers to carry out maintenance, now with a static ip a vpn isn't really needed but the rdns will be username@plus.net ( i think) but id like to set that to  something a bit more professional i.e staff.uk@companyname.com, as this is a home line is this acceptable?
Obviously just jumping on a vpn and doing work that way would be easier (i'd be in control of the rDNS then) but hoping on and off vpn's is a pain especially ordering stuff online causes huge headaches with fraud detection lol.
So really boils down to professional domain name or do i have to use one of my own personal ones.
Best regards,
Chris
7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Static IP question related to rDNS

Quote from: Wulfy
I'm a Linux server admin and often end up having to vpn into remote servers to carry out maintenance, now with a static ip a vpn isn't really needed but the rdns will be username@plus.net ( i think) but id like to set that to  something a bit more professional i.e staff.uk@companyname.com, as this is a home line is this acceptable?

That's fine. You can request rDNS is set to <ip_address>.plus.com or alternatively a hostname of your choice. With the latter, the domain either needs to be hosted with us, you need to be listed as registrant when checking WHOIS or you need to set up a PTR A record to prove ownership of the domain.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Wulfy
Grafter

HI Bob,
Thanks for the response, i'll get the PTR set, what's the format required?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Just set up an A record pointing whatever you want your rDNS to be to the IP address assigned to your connection.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Wulfy
Grafter

Request submitted.
One question i noticed my phone number has been provisioned but with my old Sly on, trying to call this from my mobile results in a dead tone any thoughts?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Not sure what you mean by the above I'm afraid, perhaps there's two phone sockets and you just need to unplug your phone from one of them and into the other?
Wulfy
Grafter

Hi Matt,
Basicly my old phone number from Sky is on my member center page (incorrect) and Plus net have provided me with a new one (which isnt listed on my members center)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah, got you - sorry about that. Should now be corrected, please advise if not?