cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP on an IP camera

Anderzander

Static IP on an IP camera

Can anyone help please ?
I have a wireless IP camera with a fixed IP that I'm trying to join onto my network. My router defaults to the 192.168.1.xxx subnet, whereas the camera is fixed to 192.168.0.xxx. which is presumably why when I enter the WiFi details it isn’t showing up on my device list …?
I tried adding an IP range on the router to include the camera - though wasnt sure if I needed to alter the dhcp pool too ? Either way what I tried didn't seem to work. Could anyone point me in the right direction please ?
Any help very gratefully received.
17 REPLIES 17
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Static IP on an IP camera

You must be able to change the IP address of your camera on the camera settings.
Anderzander

That's what I initially tried - and I don't know if its a firmware issue but it won't let me change the IP as it hangs each time I try .... So was looking to see what I could do on these router .........
NedLudd
Grafter

Did you try to access the camera with the new IP address?
Geoff,
York.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What's the make and model of the camera?
You either need to move the camera into the same subnet as the router, or move the router (and the rest of your network) to match the camera...
Anderzander

Thank you for replying !
I did try to access it through the new IP address and the browser just times out. Once I've made changes on it I lose access. Only a reset seems ton get me back in.
The camera is a wansview nc541w - how would I move the network to match the camera ? Could you point me at a guide or help with what to do at all please ?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Do you have UPNP enabled on the router?
Have you looked at http://wansview.net/products/wansview-nc541w-wireless-ip-camera.html

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Anderzander
Thank you for replying !
I did try to access it through the new IP address and the browser just times out.

You are remembering to change your PC's IP address as well aren't you? 
1.  Put your PC on 192.168.0.xxx
2. Go to the camera admin GUI and change its address to 192.168.1.yyy (where yyy is outside the range of DHCP addresses given out by the router
3.  Reboot the camera if necessary
4. Change your PC back to 192.168.1.xxx (or DHCP if that's what you use)
5. Connect to  the camera admin GUI
NedLudd
Grafter

If you're accessing the camera by wifi then your router will need to allow the camera access to itself. It will have to redetect the camera and be granted access by you on the router. IP changes are best done by ethernet!
I went through all these hoops with my IP camera when I switched to PN from Sky.
Geoff,
York.
mushy
Grafter

Seems as though you are going to have to connect via ethernet cable and change your IP range in the router to be able to access it first, alternatively you could just connect direct to the camera with a crossover ethernet cable and temparery change the network settings on your PC/Laptop.
This link might help if you are still having difficulty
http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/f23/%5Breview%5D-wansview-nc541-w-security-network-camera-16042/
Anderzander

Thank you!
I've made some progress  Grin
I have managed to change the IP subnet on the camera to match the router - I think it must be a browser issue...I changed to Firefox, and then switched the IP details and rebooted the camera as before - changed the direct Ethernet connection IP and logged in under the new IP - only this time it worked.
At the moment it still isn't showing up on the router for the wireless connection though - And I've read it may be that it doesnt work on 802.11n - only on b/g. Is that something I can define on the router does anyone know ?
NedLudd
Grafter

Wifi 802.11n is backwards compatable to all previous standards!
If the router doesn't see the camera on wifi, then the router needs to redetect the camera and be allowed to connect to it. You do this through "Search for wireless devices" in "Home Network" >> "Interfaces" then select your wifi interface!
Geoff,
York.
kmilburn
Grafter

While the protocol for Wireless N is backwards compatible with Wireless B/G,  implementations may not be.
I have seen several Wireless G devices that refuse to connect to a Wireless N router  (unless set to B/G only).
What's worse,  one of them also refuses to connect if someone else within range is using a Wireless N router!  Angry
Anderzander

That seems to be born out ..... I dug out an old netgear router and it connected straight away.
The issue is that for some reason that router drops connections all the time .... So I used telnet to change the plusnet router to just b/g - but strangely it still won't connect ..... It's the same encryption and now the same protocol so I'm baffled again .....
dick:quote
Anderzander

Oops ! Sorry about the quote !