cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP address

zayn1001
Hooked

Static IP address

I have received my  static ip address and no information on what to do with it. I don't see any change when I go into preferences and internet , all the numbers are same as before . Do I have to put this new ip address somewhere or have plus net done that for me and I don't have to do anything.

Thanks for any help I received. as I have no clue about this.

16 REPLIES 16
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Static IP address

You don't have to do anything, it just means your IP address will not change after a disconnection or router reboot, whereas when you had a dynamic address it may have done.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

If you haven't already done so, you should reboot your router - it will be allocated the new static ip address when it reconnects. It may be best to switch it off for a while rather than just a reboot to make sure both ends forget the old address.

zayn1001
Hooked

Thanks to both for this information .You know when I go into the net preferencens and then to network and then into advance and click on tcp/ip the address at ipv4 changes sometime it is 192.168.1.8 and other times the last no 4 or 11 but the static ip no is no were to be seen.Does that mean I have to go into my touter and see if my static ip is working.I mean how do I know or find out if it has changed to static ip or not.

Thanks once again in advance.

zen100

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Try https://www.whatismyip.com/

Do you have reference to a static IP here.

PS Don't post your IP in the forum.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
corringham
Seasoned Champion

The static IP address is the address your router has with respect to the outside world. It will be visible somewhere in the router's settings.

Any devices connected to your router will be allocated a local address by your router - these are typically 192.168.1.x where x is different for each device and may change each time a device connects. The router use NAT (Network Address Translation) to allow multiple internal devices to share the single external IP address - it keeps track of the internal devices and makes sure any replies get sent back to the correct device.

If you want a particular device to be visible from outside, then you will need to use port forwarding. There is a whole range of potential issues with that, so if you don't need to access a computer from outside you should ignore port forwarding altogether.

So basically, the address your computer is seeing is allocated by your router, and will not have any relationship with the external static address.

zayn1001
Hooked

Yes the static ip is on that site. thanks

zayn1001
Hooked

Thanks you for all this information and I have learned more from this site then reading on the internet . Thank you.

Thank you so much but I am afraid I must likely will need more help from  you on this site because I am on to my next thing and that is port forwarding , with which I am having lot of trouble. I am trying to put my security cctv cameras on the internet .

My system is analog  and I am on Mac computer and they  work on PC. So you can see the problem.But I have salved the  thing out and please tell me if what I am doing is possible or not. 

I am using  a program APPs called SECURITYSPY.APP which is for mac  for this cctv security.

I have to buy a decoder and set this up. I am almost there but the port forwarding is the thing That I am busy finding out about , which just by reading on the internet seems to be going to be difficult. That is why I had to get static Ip address. so I think I can rely on this  site and people on it for more help which is most appreciated

Thanks once again

corringham
Seasoned Champion

Do take care - there is a serious security risk in exposing any internal devices to the outside world. Cameras are a particular target for criminal hackers - they tend to have poor security, and once compromised it can give scary access to your life. They can watch you, they can probably hear you, if you have internal cameras they can identify anything worth stealing, can see where you keep valuables/car keys, and they can know when you're out.

I can access my internal network including cameras remotely, but I have a secure set-up involving incoming VPNs, with professional level routers/firewalls (I've been working in the IT industry for 37 years). There are multiple attempts to access my systems every day.

At the very least when you set up port forwarding check your system using ShieldsUP! from Gibson Research (you can find the link from Wikipedia or search engines) to ensure only the ports you expect to be open are open.

zayn1001
Hooked

My static ip address is showing up now,I did what you said yesterday by turning my router off for a while.

Now for this new information has put me in doubt if I should go about this all the way,like port forwarding. Please tell me if I don't do port forwarding but keep my static ip address will my system be safe. I understand i will not be able to watch or see my camera on the internet while i am away from home. Or  Will it be better to drop the static ip address and go back to normal as before and will there be a chance i could see the camera when away from home on the internet. I know the ports may change and then it will not show up on the internet. This security thing you have pointed out is serious and I don't want  to be worrying about it and I am not able to handle all the complicated work that is involved.

Thank you very much for the information you have given me it has put a new light to what I was going to do.I would appreciate it very much if you could let me know about what I have said above, just go back to my original system.

Thanks and kind regards

zayn1001

corringham
Seasoned Champion

There's nothing wrong with a static address per se, and dynamic addresses aren't any safer - hackers will try all addresses anyway.

I don't want to scare you unnecessarily - it is possible to set up remote access in a way that is fairly secure, but you do have to be careful to get it right, and to use trustworthy equipment and software. And double check everything.

If you follow the SecuritySpy guide on setting up remote access carefully you should be OK. Do choose obscure user name and a strong password. Use HTTPS only - a self-signed certificate is OK. It can be worth using a non-standard port number, as some bots just check the standard ports. Log all accesses, and look at the logs from time to time - you will see if there are any failed login attempts.

Good luck!

zayn1001
Hooked

Thank you so much for your help

zayn1001
Hooked

If one has VPN on their computer would that not solve the security problem for the cctv system on the internet with static ip address and port forwarding.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

You can use an incoming VPN in order to access the internal network, including the cctv system. That is what I do, which only exposes the VPN ports to the outside world, while allowing full access to the internal network once you are connected to the VPN from outside. However, I have a router which supports  incoming VPNs which makes it easier. A software VPN on a PC/MAC still needs port forwarding etc. to be set up for the VPN, so you swap one set of open ports for another set. That may or may not be more secure.

zayn1001
Hooked

Thanks for that. Is getting VPN worthwhile ,they make claims that no one can trace you or your ip address so would that not stop the hackers going on to the cctv system on the internet.Does VPN gave that protection or not.