Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP address on LAN - dhcp ip reservation

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Static IP address on LAN - dhcp ip reservation

I've just got my 582n out of the box and can see the Always Use The Same IP Address tickbox on any connection that shows the IP Address Assignment is DHCP.
Your server is showing as 'Unknown' so you can't see the setting...
Try looking at all the devices on the Home Network page (or perhaps easier, plug the server into a LAN port directly) to make sure the server doesn't appear elsewhere in the list as well.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes, unless the router is assigning an IP (via DHCP) the setting "always use the same IP" is meaningless - so the box doesn't appear. See screen-shot for the configuration page with a DHCP assigned IP.
David
MathewRB
Grafter

OK so the tick in the box is real this is great news.

So it wuld appear that the settings on my router need to change or on my server ?
pwatson
Rising Star

If your server is set to get an address by DHCP and the router is the only DHCP server on your network, you're not looking at the correct instance of the device in the 'Home Network' view. 
Try the other devices in the list one by one until you find a corresponding entry that shows the current address for your box and that the assignment has been via DHCP.
MathewRB
Grafter

Iam getting a little confused.
I have looked at all the devices with a wired connection and none of them have the magic tick box.
Has this got something to do with the attached screen shot?
pwatson
Rising Star

The screenshot is unrelated to this issue. 
Do all your devices show 'unknown' against 'IP Address Assignment'?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
For clarity - have you configured fixed IP addresses in the PCs?  To confirm this, launch a CMD window and type 'ipconfig /all' (without the quotes) and look for a line which reads 'DHCP Enabled=Yes' (or similar).  If this states "No" then in the first instance there is a problem at the PC end as it is not using DHCP.  Confirm / fix that first.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MathewRB
Grafter

Hi,
Ok it looks like I can fix the IP address on my laptop but not my server take a look at the attached screen shots.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The screen shot of the server configuration makes no reference to lease time.  I think I can therefore confidently conclude that your server's address is not being allocated by DHCP.  Please check the IP configuration details as per my previous post.
PS there is no merit in obscuring the 192.168.1.xxx IP addresses - we all have those addresses in our private networks.  It is the external IP which correctly should be obscured.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MathewRB
Grafter

Hi All,
It would appear that it was a setting in the server config and this has been changed which has allowed me to FIX the IP. See attached screen shot.
Thanks for all your help!!

The next part of this problem is the IP address that I have it fixed to is .66 and I would like to switch it back to .68. Does anyone know how to change the IP address?
MathewRB
Grafter

Hi does anyone know how to change the IP address on a device via the router?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

You need to use cli commands (telnet) to do this. I've given you the link to the commands needed in my previous post.
MathewRB
Grafter

Hi,
Yes just played about with it and got it all sorted thanks for all your help guys.