Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start of third day with no internet

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Start of third day with no internet

That's great news and thanks for the link to the BBC story.

Hope the upgrade goes well. Thumbs_Up

David
Cerberos
Rising Star

The upgrade must not be going well. It is now 16:10, just rebooted the BT modem and still no internet. It's been off since 8am. Eight hours, so much for the one to two hours suggested in the email telling us about the upgrade!
Cerberos
Rising Star

Very annoyed now. Still no internet. Since We got service back after the three day outage line speeds have fallen as low as 4 Mbps. I put up with this on the promise of an upgrade today. All that has happened today is that the internet was disconnected promptly at 8am and has never come back. Not good enough PlusNet!
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

But it isn't PlusNet's fault, whatever provider you were with you would be having the same problem due to Openreach messing up the upgrade.

Cerberos
Rising Star

But forty five minutes on the phone to plusnet technical support. To be told we've run tests and there is no fault detected with the BT network. Check customers equipment.

BT switched off my connection at 8am did not reconnect it. Tech Support tell me no fault detected. I ask for it to be raised with fault team and I am told it will be up to 72 hours before they get back to me. I ask to speak to a manager because I am now entering my forth week of no or very slow connection. I am told someone will ring back tomorrow. Very very dissatisfied with the current level of customer service. BT/Openreach have failed again by cocking up the upgrade, rather than plusnet agreeing with that, tech support respond with no fault found.

They treat their customers like idiots. Initially they told me there was a"fault" causing the original three day outage. It the transpires it was planned work in preparation for the upgrade today. Today's upgrade failed and they tell me there is no fault it must be my equipment.
Cerberos
Rising Star

Just tried a PlusNet 2704N router, set in fibre mode. Still no connection. All three lights, including DSL light lit on BT modem. Conclusion, today's upgrade has not been done correctly!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Oh dear, very disappointing for you. Sad

Speculation is wonderful, but I wonder if what's happened is your modem connects OK, then the router sends "hello i'm Jack4583" which gets routed to ISP1. ISP1 replies "sorry, don't recognise that name, connection refused". Meanwhile after a phone call ISP2 do an end-to-end test which ends up in another property and results in "no fault found".

I think you might need an engineer out to resolve this including accepting risk of charge should the fault be in your property (most unlikely). The cabinet work is probably signed off as complete.

David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

It’s wortg doing a quiet line test and check out that you have YOUR number. Dial 17070.

Alternatively phone your number from a mobile and phone your mobile from the home phone. Cross connected lines after work such as this are legion. Check out your phone call history as well. It’s wise to be cautious.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cerberos
Rising Star

I tried the line test and confirmed that we are still assigned the correct line/number.
I have an engineer booked for Monday morning to look at the problem.

If any one from Plusnet customer service reads this; I have recently spoken to my neighbors at number four (same postcode). They too are Plusnet customers and have been without service since Friday morning, just like me. Perhaps the engineer on Monday can sort the both of us out at the same time?
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Cerberos hopefully the engineer gets this resolved for you.

Depending on where the fault lies and the work completed by the engineer to fix your issue, there is a possibility it could fix your neighbors too. Otherwise, unfortunately, they would have to raise a fault of their own I'm afraid.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Cerberos
Rising Star

Hi Lauren
My neighbors have an engineer booked for Tuesday. Seeing the route of the problem would seem to be the planned migration of internet services to a new cabinet in the village form cab 24 to Cab 34. The work has been completed successfully for the Sky customers in the village, they did after all go to the press and TV after a prolonged outage. But on this occasion plusnet customers have been left without services.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Cerberos wrote:
The work has been completed successfully for the Sky customers in the village, they did after all go to the press and TV after a prolonged outage. But on this occasion plusnet customers have been left without services.

In the above does "they" refer to "Sky" or "Sky's customers"?

If the first, then that's the effect of Sky treating the impact on all of their customers as (in effect) a class case against BT Openreach - something one would hope all ISPs would seek to do in the name of (if nothing else) proficiency to get as many circuits fixed as possible during one engineering 'visit'.

If the latter, then that's the effect of people power.

That said, why does any ISP individually, either collectively for their customers or (as it appears Plusnet is doing) customer by customer, need to raise fault cases to the people who are responsible for this male-fowl-up in the first place?

BT Openreach created this mess, they ought to have a team on the ground 24x7 sorting it out ... without the need for each ISP to need to raise either collective or individual fault reports.  Shambolic does not even begin to describe it, yet even then no one seems willing to report such poor performance to Ofcom to drive improved performance.

BTOR management seem to care not about the everyday damage being done to their brand and the reputation of the BT group as a whole.  May be it is time that the whole shooting match was handed over to Richard Branson? 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cerberos
Rising Star

"They" refers to the Sky customers who were featured on both the local BBC news and in the local press after being left without internet for twelve days.

Openreach on the other hand. I am unable to deal directly with them or there management. The impression I have of them is a disorganised, dishonest shambles. Back in 2011 they took £31k from the local government to upgrade our village to fibre broadband. They self certified that the village had 35Mbps when in actual fact no one could achieve anything like these speeds as they had terminated the fibre a mile outside the village. Despite involvement from the sitting MP at the time they refused to rectify the situation as they had spent the money. To me, this seems fraudulent.

Seven years later under another rural broadband scheme their ineptitude continues. As a user of the Openreach infrastructure I have no direct comeback on them. Like the Sky customers who resorted to going to the press I have to rely on PlusNet to fight on my behalf.

The current situation in the village is Sky customers were upgrade on Friday to fast broadband. Myself and my neighbor were also promised an upgrade on Friday. Instead we were disconnected and left with no internet what so ever.

Customer services have told both my neighbor and I that the upgrade has been signed off as complete by Openreach and suggested it is our equipment that is at fault, where we both know Openreach have either not completed the job or are simply inept.

Either way, having finally spoken to someone willing to listen at Plusnet, I have an engineer booked to come on Monday. (And my neighbor Tuesday).

Now who do I send the bill to for the 4G modem I have had to buy so the student in the house can carry on with the research for her masters degree?
Cerberos
Rising Star

Engineer arrived promptly this morning. He said he has spent a lot of time in the village recently. To cut a long story short. He said there was no point looking at my equipment as it would be an outside fault. He then sat in his van and made a phone call.

My line was migrated from cabinet 24 to cabinet 34 on Friday as promised. However the service was not configured at the exchange to move the service to the new cabinet. The exchange still thinks I am on cab24. Apparently there is a man sat at a computer doing it now. Should be. Back up in about half an hour.

This is appalling customer service from Openreach, a complete disregard for the end user. I have had six days of no service and many more of degraded service.

Communication between Openreach and Plusnet seems to be farcical. I have been told there is a fault, my equipment is at fault, it will be fixed later today/this evening/ tomorrow.

I pay my money to Plusnet for what this last few weeks has been a poor or none existent service. Rather than fight my corner, when I have spoken to customer services I have been met with a metaphorical shrug of the shoulders "it's out of our hands, it's Openreach". What do I expect from Plusnet. Well I expect you to get off your collective [-Censored-] and challenge Openreach for the appalling lack of respect they have for your customers not shrug your shoulders and give the impression that you either don't care or have no interest in challenging Openreach for their poor levels of service.

Openreach are not fit for purpose, they have a virtual monopoly and Plusnet and other ISPs are allowing them to get away with incompetence - and we, the customers are paying for it!
Cerberos
Rising Star

The good news - I have some internet service

The Bad News - Download speed exactly the same as previously at 15.4Mbps

The BT engineer plugged his tester into the master socket and acheived 38Mbps where as on the BT Wholsale speed test and on Speedtest.net I can only achieve 15Mbps.

His conclusion, either the BT modem is faulty or my ISP has capped my download speed.

Would someone at PlusNet please check my line profile? The BT engineer is arranging for a new modem to be posted out to me in case that is where the problem lies.