cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stale session fault

drcl92
Dabbler

Stale session fault

Last night my broadband simply stopped.   I tried another router, same thing. apparently syncing fine and getting atm but not making a ppp.  Left the router off for an hour and hald while I watched match of the day. Still same.

This morning still the same but now not even getting ATM activity.
decided I would try a chat with Plusnet
You are now chatting with Dan H.
Dan H: Good morning, I'm Dan H. How can I help you today?
DUNCAN LEWIS: hi Dan
DUNCAN LEWIS: I'm having problems connecting to my ADSL
Dan H: sorry to hear that
DUNCAN LEWIS: It was working fine then suddenly not. I get a line synch but the thomson modem says there is no ATM actiity
Dan H: lets start with the router. Can you confirm what the broadband and internet lights are doing
DUNCAN LEWIS: sure. the broadband light is static
DUNCAN LEWIS: internet is off
Dan H: ok - that usually indicates an issue with the credentials in the router or some sort of auth fault on our side.
Dan H: I would say that the best bet to diagnose the issue would be http://faults.plus.net
Dan H: this will ask you to check the basic things and will test the line for a fault
DUNCAN LEWIS: are you able to confirm my PPP login details?
DUNCAN LEWIS: maybe something has changed?
Dan H: I need to access your account. Can I ask you to confirm the username of the account and could I ask you to confirm the 1st and 4th characters of your password please?
DUNCAN LEWIS: a/c username@plusdsl.net
DUNCAN LEWIS: password e, n
Dan H: ADSL username
Dan H: username@plusdsl.net
Dan H: [password redacted]
Dan H: is the password
DUNCAN LEWIS: yup that is what i have been using
Dan H: they are correct then
DUNCAN LEWIS: yes
DUNCAN LEWIS: nothing is indicated on my account? Maybe my bill wasnt paid or something?
Dan H: The account is all up to date from what I can see. Based on what I can see, it is a possible stale session fault
DUNCAN LEWIS: not heard of that before, what would cause that?
Dan H: basically, it is where the exchange thinks you are connected, but the router knows it isn't. It happens sometimes but can usually be resolved by completing some checks - it involves test usernames and such. All the details are in the faults link above
DUNCAN LEWIS: ok then, thanks for your help. have a good day
Dan H: It's been great chatting with you today. Plusnet really values your feedback. Please click the "End Conversation" button at the top right of your screen to answer a few questions about your experience with us today. Enjoy the rest of your day!
I try the fault checker thing but its not working at all: "Broadband Troubleshooter - Error.   There's been a problem.   Please try using the Broadband Troubleshooter again in a short while. If you continue to have problems please contact our Support Team for help"
Anyone any ideas what a stale session fault is and how long it will take to correct?.
dick:green Username removed from a public forum.
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Stale session fault

We've seen this a few times recently - I thought it could be killed at the Plusnet end.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

jelv,
You are correct, PN can kill stale sessions - I think that the chat agent ought to have done this especially given that they suggested it.
Stale sessions remain a significant issue which I do not feel have been adequately addressed - especially in the circumstances of a major outage as in the loss of one or more gateways!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

drcl92
Dabbler

@jelv and @Townman
Got back on with another chat agent.  explained the problem, mentioned the advise of the other agent, and your comments and he did a quick ppp kill and I'm back online.
Thanks for your advice or I wouldnt have bothered the chat agents again and wouldnt have my connection back on now.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I'm glad to hear your back online.
I've made sure the agent in question is aware of what to look for in future.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team