Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable rate changed

DavidJ
Rising Star

Stable rate changed

Hi James
Looking at the page on the Plusnet website that shows my stable rate (http://www.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate) I noticed that it is now 6500 Kbps. When I first got upgraded to 8MB broadband I'm sure this showed 8000. I know that 8MB broadband adapts its speed over time depending on line conditions so I used to check this every week or so to see if it changed but it never did. My router syncs at 8128 kbps and always has. If my router always syncs at the maximum speed why would this stable rate setting drop? Should it be reset to 8000?
Dave
47 REPLIES 47
James
Grafter

Re: Stable rate changed

Hi Dave,
You probably had a fractionally lower sync blip overnight.  I would check when but unfortunately BTs system just died on me.
It should pick up again in the next 2-3 days.  You shouldn't really notice that much difference in the speed.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What results do you get from http://test.speedtester.bt.com/ ?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DavidJ
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh
You probably had a fractionally lower sync blip overnight.  I would check when but unfortunately BTs system just died on me.
It should pick up again in the next 2-3 days.  You shouldn't really notice that much difference in the speed.

Thanks James
If it sorts itself out that's fine. If it hasn't changed after a few days can you have another look if I get back to you?

Quote from: jelv
What results do you get from http://test.speedtester.bt.com/ ?

The results were:
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5791 kbps
I realise that this is pretty good. But if it can be better with a quick fix then why not?
Thanks for your help.
Dave
James
Grafter

Sadly there's no "quick fix".
Give it 2-3 days and if it hasn't changed, give me a shout.
DavidJ
Rising Star

Thanks James
DavidJ
Rising Star

Sadly there's no "quick fix".
Give it 2-3 days and if it hasn't changed, give me a shout.

Hi James
Waited a few days as suggested but no change. Rate still showing as 6500 kbps. Can you give it a kick in the 8000 direction?
Cheers
Dave
James
Grafter

Hi Dave,
You're currently syncing at 7680Kbps, so you are on the correct profile.
DavidJ
Rising Star

Thanks James
I thought the rate shown on Plusnet's stable rate web page (and also shown by BT's speedtester) was the maximum rate at which broadband would sync. I guess I'm wrong here. How come my line syncs at 7680kbps when the stable rate is 6500?
Cheers
Dave
James
Grafter

Hi Dave,
As per:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/faqs_and_guides/dslmax_guide.shtml#Sync
You sync speed should be assigned a profile of 6500Kbps.
The stable rate is the same as the IP Profile, ie: the highest theoretical speed at which you can download at.
(We no longer use an 8000Kbps profile as the highest offered by BT is 7150Kbps)
DavidJ
Rising Star

You're currently syncing at 7680Kbps, so you are on the correct profile.

Hi James
My mistake - I didn't realise you were talking about my sync speed with the exchange as I didn't recognise the 7680 figure.
I've often checked the sync speed (and line stats) shown by my router and it's always been 8128 since I was upgraded to 8MB (it was 8128 when I first posted this message). Right now it's showing 7456 and yesterday it was 77something. I've checked the line attenuation and noise stats and they haven't changed. Why would my sync speed be dropping if the line quality appears not to have changed?
Cheers
Dave
James
Grafter

Hi Dave,
You probably wouldn't notice any changes to (especially) attenuation and noise margin.  With more noise being present on lines in your area, it's not uncommon for gradual sync decreases.
It's really one of those things I'm afraid.  It's a drawback of the copper telephony system in this country.
DavidJ
Rising Star

Blimey, you're quick! If you get any faster you'll be answering questions before they're posted. Is there a Christmas hamper going for the quickest response?
Dave
P.S. Back to the sync thingy... is it something that can get better or do things generally get worse over time?
James
Grafter

No hamper Sad
Synchronisation speeds do fluctuate, especially on mid length to long lines.  Yours might go up and down on reboots of your router.  If you're bored, you could reboot it a few times and see what sync speeds you get.
Mine generally fluctuates between 3.8-5.1Mbps. (Which is a pain)
DavidJ
Rising Star

Hi James
I just checked my IP profile and my router's sync speed. The router is now syncing in the low 7000's (down from mid to high 7000's) and the IP profile now shows 6000 (down from 6500). I know this is still a good speed for 8MB broadband but what worries me is that there seems to be a continuing slow but steady decrease in sync speeds over the last couple of weeks. Bearing in mind my sync speed was always 8128 until a few weeks ago is there something that needs looking into here? I just want to avoid things continuing to slow down until it does make a real difference to broadband speeds.
Cheers
Dave