cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Rate - What do we do?

Innovations
Grafter

Stable Rate - What do we do?

My stable rate has collapsed again. This time it's 500k. I can't think why and I switch it off every night to allow renegotiation. It seems Plus can change this setting - is there a way for us to do it or do we have to raise a ticket every time?
11 REPLIES 11
sophos9
Grafter

Re: Stable Rate - What do we do?

Your MSR is set via a delta report from BT, have you ran the BT Speedtester to see what your BT Speed profile is?
James
Grafter

Hi Innovations,
If you read the speed sticky in this forum and also the speed link in my signature, this should help to explain why this is happening.
It is actually the BT profile (of which we have no control over) that is being changed and then subsequently mapped on our platform.
This has happened because you reconnected at a very low speed at 7pm on the 5th.  It should pick up again in the next 24 hours.
Innovations
Grafter

This is what you said last time:
I've just manually mapped BTs profile of 1500Kbps against your account, so if you reboot you should see an improvement in speeds.
I'm not sure what that means but I guess it was supposed to make things better quicker. What are we supposed to do - raise a ticket?. Can we do a similar thing ourselves? Thing is - I've been stuck on 500K for at least 2 days. No doubt it will build up at its own leisurely pace but this is 2008 and there really should be a way to override the stupid Max process.
James
Grafter

Hi,
Our profiles are mapped against BTs on a twice daily basis.
BTs profiles are generally recalculated once every three days, so your having waited for two days is within the design of the product.
I do appreciate it is annoying and it is one of the most frustrating areas of the IPStream Max product.  If you have a look at the link I've referred to, this is described in detail.
Innovations
Grafter

Thanks for that. I've just tried the BT Speedtester and it keeps rejecting me. It asks for a login id but I can't work out what it's getting at. I've tried <username>@<username>.plus.com and <username>@plus.net. Neither of these it accepts. Any idea what it thinks my login email address is?
[Moderator's note by Peter (PJ): Removed username and e-mail address for privacy reasons and to prevent spam bots gathering them]
James
Grafter

Have you tried <username>@plusdsl.net?

[Moderator's note by Peter (PJ): Removed username for privacy/anti-spam reasons]
Innovations
Grafter

Didn't work either. Huh
Innovations
Grafter

I must have caught a rogue character when I typed it in.  Any way now I get this :
  IP profile for your line is - 1750 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  2368 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 447 kbps
That suggest BT are trying to give me closer to me 2.3G but Plus are choking it. Does this have to wait for a periodic update to your systems? Is this the process you overrode before?
James
Grafter

Actually it doesn't.  Again if you read the speed faults troubleshooting guide that I've posted, it will explain that:
DSL Connection Rate:  This is the speed at which you are connecting with the exchange at.
IP Profile: This is the speed at which BT are restricting your line speed to.
IP Throughput: This is your download speed.
I've had a look at your account and our profiling hasn't vaught up with BTs.  I've since amended this and if you reboot your router, you should see an improvement in speed.
Innovations
Grafter

Thanks James, I'm back to 1.5M. I assume that is an average of the 0.5 and the current achieved 2.3, so if I keep 2.3 it will drift up to that figure over a few days?
Maybe you could comment on why Plus has to set it's own rate? I would have thought you stream data at the maximum line speed. BT are throttling it to reduce error packets - or something like that - but I don't understand why you want to set limits on speed.
Can you not make representations to BT to allow IP profile speeds to be user-controlled more?
James
Grafter

Hi Innovations,
You are back on 1.5Mbps because BT have set a profile of 1.75Mbps, which after overheads, leaves your 1.5Mbps.
We set our own profile as there is less packet loss on our network than there is on the BT network.  This means that we are able to optimise your speeds against the IP Profile more efficiently than BT.
In short, PlusNet > BT.
Regarding BT allowing user implemented IP Profiling, this will never happen as it would lead to a subsequent increase in faults from the less clever ISPs randomly tinkering around.  It's part of the reason that BT started charging for engineer callouts in the first place after various ISPs would merely raise faults without doing any form of diagnosis work and in some cases BT would send an engineer to fix a fault to find that the modem wasn't even plugged in!