cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds still around 40Mbit/sec after changing products to 80/20 Extra Fibre

xyfer117
Dabbler

Re: Speeds still around 40Mbit/sec after changing products to 80/20 Extra Fibre

Both my upload and download speed have increased but the download speed is still quite a way off my estimated speed (69mb)

Is it likely to take a few days to increase to its full potential?
I dont mind waiting I'm happy to have any increase, just wondering what to expect.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It's not normally something that does take time to increase although I have seen it happen in the past. Are you using a wired or wireless connection?
xyfer117
Dabbler

I have a wired connection and the modem and router are both right next to the connection point.
cutglass

Mine is on a wireless connection. Still no further change.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Wireless is likely to be your limiting factor, can you try a wired test?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
flaminmoses
Grafter

what about mine???
im on the 72mbs 20mbs service and get 6o odd mbs but now only 4mbs upload.
it went upto 16mbs upload for 1 day!!!!!
cutglass

Quote from: dvorak
Wireless is likely to be your limiting factor, can you try a wired test?

Ah yes. That has improved it. It's still slightly slower than I thought I'd get but perfectly reasonable.

I've never had a connection fast enough to worry about the wireless being a limiting factor before! Though considering that my master socket is in a hard to access cupboard in the corner of the house, I should probably have thought to try this earlier. The wireless signal has to get through several doors and a wall or two. It does mean that I'm effectively limited to about 40 meg, by the sounds of things. Oh well. Still better than the 3.6 meg I was getting before.
cutglass

Quote from: cutglass
I've never had a connection fast enough to worry about the wireless being a limiting factor before! Though considering that my master socket is in a hard to access cupboard in the corner of the house, I should probably have thought to try this earlier. The wireless signal has to get through several doors and a wall or two. It does mean that I'm effectively limited to about 40 meg, by the sounds of things. Oh well. Still better than the 3.6 meg I was getting before.

As a further thought on this, is there any way round this problem that doesn't involve me stringing a lengthy ethernet cable through my house?
Would a different router improve matters? What about a wireless repeater? Something else I've not thought ot?
xyfer117
Dabbler

In my personal opinion wired connections are always the best way to go and guarantee you a good quality connection, you could use some cable management to disguise your cable or run it underneath your carpet (depending on the layout of your house).
If you do want to stick with wireless though a repeater is a good idea as I dont think your problem can be fixed just by getting a better router.