Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds not very good

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Speeds not very good

Hi there, checking before you changed anything - no problem.
Well there are two sets of wires on both those extension sockets, so on one socket - one set of wires will go back to the master and the other will goto the next socket. On the next socket, one set of wires comes from the previous socket, but as there is another set, it must go on to another socket. So there must be another socket hiding somewhere.
bluesamboy
Grafter

I really don't know where else there could be one. I'm in an 2 bed house with an open plan living/kitchen area downstairs. I have a socket in the living room, nothing in the kitchen or hall way and a socket in each bedroom. The only other room is the bathroom. I've checked all walls in the house I just can't see another socket.  Shocked this is rather odd! Can I not just disconnect the wire going to the next extension? I have no use for any of them as I don't even have a phone to use ha
The green and white wires we already disconnected in the second socket, if that makes a difference.
Anotherone
Champion

It shouldn't make a great deal of difference. It's just a case of being tidy from an "electrical" and "visual" point of view.
The situation certainly is rather odd, and as you can see, I'm rather suspicious that whatever is going on is somehow related to your speeds being below what they ought to be. Have a look around outside and see where the cable enters the house. See whether you can spot the general route it may take and where there may be any boxes on or in the house that the engineer ought to take a look at.
I'll post back later on this evening.
bluesamboy
Grafter

The only thing I can find is where the BT cable comes into the house, it's housed in a gray tube coming from the ground, with a small box covering the actual hole, my master socket is on the other side of the wall inside the house. No other cabling I can see.  Undecided
Would a filtered faceplate like this http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html not resolve everything internal anyway? Bt might give me one when they come but if not would it help?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
I note one of the sockets still has the bell wire (orange terminal 3) connected.
Personally given that PN have offered to get an engineer to fix this, I'd be tempted to accept their offer.  If on attendance the engineer says "actually it will be chargeable" you have the option of declining it.
I have known BTOR engineers go more than the extra mile and sort out internal wiring issues FOC.
A filters face plate would not (typically) facilitate the router being located any where other than at the master socket.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bluesamboy
Grafter

Hi Townman,
I removed the bell wire after taking the photo, I wanted to show what it looked like before I started removing stuff.
I'm happy for the router to be at the master socket, it's actually the most convenient place to put it as there are shelves next to it.
I did not know I could decline chargeable visits, I just assumed once it was booked and they arrived it was chargeable, as I say tho PN have put me at ease over being charged anyway.
Cheers
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ah,
As you kept returning the router to one of the extensions, I presumed (always unwise ;)) that there was a reason of necessity for not using the master socket.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bluesamboy
Grafter

Sorry Townman that is probably me not using to correct terms. I've always had my router in the master socket. I've only been moving between the test part and the normal part of the master socket.  Cheesy
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: bluesamboy
The photo with the orange circuit board is the other extension I found before I removed the bell wire

Quote from: plusnettony
Townman  / Anotherone,
I understand what you are both saying here, and in this case I have assured the EU that there will be no charges to him for the engineer visit.

I wouldn't worry about any charges bluesamboy, Tony has assured that there won't be any.
Would a filtered faceplate like this http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html not resolve everything internal anyway? Bt might give me one when they come but if not would it help?

To a great degree yes, but it's still wise to have unnecessary wiring disconnected. Indeed the engineer may fit on for you, but you really need the Mk3 plate, it has a better common-mode filter (REIN filter) than the Mk2. This will help to minimise any external interference.
When the engineer comes, tell him you have done what you can to ensure that there are no problems on your internal wiring when the faceplate is put back on the master socket, but there is a cable from one extension socket that disappears you know not where. Is there any chance he can fit the Mk3 SSFP (service specific filtered plate).
But  tell him, what does concern you, that you can't check, is that nothing is star-wired before the master socket.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I did not know I could decline chargeable visits, I just assumed once it was booked and they arrived it was chargeable, as I say tho PN have put me at ease over being charged anyway.

Were any chargeable visit to occur, BT Wholesale would bill the ISP and in turn we'd / they would choose whether to bill you our customers or not. This is why I am confident that you won't get billed, because ultimately it's down to me. Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
bluesamboy
Grafter

Hello,
Engineer has just left, no faults found but he replaced the master socket, fitted a MK3 faceplate too. My router is now synced at 10,970 which is just over 1Mbps improvment from before he came and 3Mbps from when we first started.
He says he is going to request a SNR reset (I think thats what he said)  and then 10 days training will kick in. So speeds might improve over this time.
I've attached the stats.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@CRT,
Is this line speed banded?  If yes will the SNRM reset (if it happens) also remove the banding or does that require separate intervention?
As things stand, a SNRM change to 6dB might deliver 14Mbps based on the current synch speed, but that is way short of the expected 18Mbps for a line of this attenuation (as reported by the modem).
Kevin

Anotherone
Champion

That is not a banded speed Kevin! In any event an SNR reset would remove banding. BUT it would be a good idea for a CRT member to make sure that the Upstream is/gets uncapped after the reset.
My guess, sadly, is that this may be a poorer quality line and will likely achieve similar speeds to that seen on the previous Sky connection.
What were the BTw estimates?
@bluesamboy - if you check your Current Line speed (Login required) the information is there. Did mention this before but didn't see any info (don't post your phone number).
If you pay your line rental to Plusnet, then seeing the full detailed CLT results may help explain your line under-performance.
bluesamboy
Grafter

Hi folks,
Estimated line speed:
13Mb (This may vary between 7.5Mb and 17.5Mb) - Checked on 2014-09-05 21:06:55
Current line speed:
9.4 Mb Huh
The engineer said my line was performing well with no errors or loss, he wasn't worried about speeds. He said to ask plusnet to look at the PPP if I was still having problems?
I do pay my line rental to plusnet, do I get CLT or will plusnet have to do that?
Anotherone
Champion

Hopefully one of the CRT guys (Tony) will do it for you and post it up here. PPP won't affect the achievable sync speed.
The Current Line Speed will go up when the BT IP Profile goes up.