cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed...

chrisoldinho
Grafter

Speed...

Hi all, is there anything I can do to improve my speed?
Previous ISP AOL 2800-3200kbps regular with real 250-270kb/sec download speed.
PN - Initially connected at 2800kbps (all good), after a bit of messing around choosing which router I wanted to use (making the network think i couldn't handle to speed - yes I know in hindsight it was stupid of me!) it dropped to 1000kbps, gradually it's increased to 1806kbps downstream, 100kb/sec download speed at best (BT IP Profile currently 1500kbps).
Even if it goes to 1500kbps it's still slow compared with AOL. Not sure if the Router will make any difference?
The worse part is I play a lot of online games hence why I signed up for the Pro package and I struggle to get into any game for about 5 minutes compared with seconds before and lag in games is unbearable.
I am still in DLM (2 days left), but I cannot see things improving...1st thing I need PN to match BT's IP profile and 2nd I really need the DLM resetting.
Can anyone oblige please?
Thanks, Chris.
9 REPLIES 9
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Speed...

Hi Chris,
Your profile at this side is now set to 1500kbps, you might need to disconnect/reconnect (probably an idea to do this via the router console instead of physically rebooting the device). Unfortunately resetting the DLM isn't very easy for 21CN circuits Sad
Your downstream SNR is currently at 9db. If it does drop another 3db on its own accord then you might get another 800kbps or so out of your sync speed. Your line does look to be pretty long though. Depending on the errors your router's reporting it might be worth switching interleaving off (assuming it's on at the moment of course).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

chrisoldinho
Grafter

Thanks Bob, is it not possible then to have the DLM reset?
I can't see how I can reduce the SNR margin without tweaking it using a different router? DMT tool won't work with V7 so no use there either...
Yes my line is pretty long, nearly 3 miles from the exchange.
Interleaving is currently on. Here are my latest stats...
Link Information

Uptime: 1 day, 23:18:29
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 1,806
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.0 / 53.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.0 / 9.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 12,738
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 543
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 488
chrisoldinho
Grafter

Bump...
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Please don't bump threads as it is against the forum rules http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_bump
Bumping of posts
"Bumping" is the act of adding to a thread just to get your topic back to the top of the list in a forum and should not be done.
Users who keep bumping their topics face action that may include the locking of the topic and / or removal of forum access.

There are unlikely to be any Digital Care Team members on the boards before Monday so you will need to be patient
chrisoldinho
Grafter

Changed to a DG834G with DGTeam FW on it last night.
Initially connected at 1965kbps downstream which is an improvement on the Thomson, turned it off when wasn't needed and when I turned it back on again....
800kb downstream with an IP profile of 0.5MB  Sad and BT speedtester shows max my line can now support is 500kbps.
This is a joke. I'm not saying it's PN's fault by any stretch but the BT network for me anyway is absolutely terrible. AOL (LLU) never had anything like IP profiling or any of this, it just gave you the fastest connection you're line could sync at.
I think im going to have to leave PN as I can't see how the BT network can match my expectations having used an LLU ISP before.
defiant
Grafter

Hi sounds like you have got into a habit of turning your router off because you were on LLU. On BT's kit  turning your router off over night is probably fine.  On the other hand turning it off for a short period will make the dynamic line management  take action.... And not in the direction you would like.
by the looks of it your on 21CN.
your currently using DSL Type:  (G.992.3 annex A)  which is ADSL2 modulation.
i would try DSL Type: (G.992.1 annex A) which is adsl1 modulation
leave it connected

based on your line attenuation you should be getting more like 3mb-4mb
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
Dont pull your hair out  im in a similar situation with almost identical line stats unless things improve i cant see me sticking around much longer either.
Good luck with it -Defiant-
chrisoldinho
Grafter

Thanks for the reply, yes I turn it off too much I know that however when I leave it on my downstream will always stick at a low speed, occassionally by rebooting it increases.
Can you explain why I should try ADSL1 as opposed to ADSL2?
Thanks, Chris.
defiant
Grafter

It all boils down to compatibility or lack of it, whichever the cases maybe.  Undecided  ive just thought of a good a analogy to explain what i mean.
Two people from england having a conversation in english with the same accent & dialect will understand each other and communicate very efficiently.
on the other hand a person from scotland speaking to someone from england both still speaking english but with different accents and dialects will communicate less efficiently and possibily misinterpret what the other is saying.

the people being the router/modem at your house & exchange
the accent/dialect representing different adsl modulations
the efficiency of the conversation represents your sync speed / throughput

awrite if ye dinny ken whit a mean noo a cannie help
later defiant

ramidoodle
Grafter

Hi chrisoldinho
Looking at your connection logs, one can concluded that the speed problem is caused by the intermittent connection. Can you get a dropping connection fault raised at all? and can you try to keep the router at the test socket for a day or two after raising the fault? The current Mean Time Between Errors Downstream ( Seconds ) is 442 so the best way to get this resolve is by addressing the root cause of the problem (the dropping connection).