Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed way below IP profile.

woodsider
Grafter

Speed way below IP profile.

ADSL "Downstream line rate = 6240kbps".
plusnet "Current line speed = 5Mb".
BT download speed (beta) = 0.11Mbps.  broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk "Download Speed = 0.125Mb/s".  Etc. (All about 0.12Mbps.)
Quite used to this, but need to do some serious downloads soon. Any advice?
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed way below IP profile.

Try running the diagnostic  BT speed test and report the result http://217.35.209.142/
woodsider
Grafter

Sorry!
Looks like yet another case of temporary weather problems dropping the IP profile only as the line speed is back up.
And, yet again, plusnet being several days behind, so still registering the pre-drop speed - and me taking that to be the re-established speed.
I guess, for serious downloads, I just need to wait until we have over a week of calm dry weather beyond the end of MBORC.
For info, 10.00 this morning:
Plusnet still gives
Estimated line speed:
    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
    5 Mb
BT full test gives
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.1 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6.24 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Any idea how long ago the Exchange DLM dropped the IP profile for the line, and how long you've been back at 6240?
WSF

After a few days of the family complaining about slow internet I managed to get some time today to look into it and do some tests. We seem to be suffering the same issue as the OP, albeit not quite as extreme. Router syncing at 8128, line speed per PN portal is 7.15Mb, but the IP Profile from the BT tester is 2Mb.
Nowhere near unusable but its certainly noticeable when everyone is on it, hope it sorts itself out soon!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It can be typically 3 days from the last downward profile change on 20CN. DLM Changes to 20CN made sometime a year or so ago seem to be making all profile changes take longer  Sad
x47c
Grafter

WSF
Keep a very close eye on it
Why?
there is a history on 20CN of 'stuck BT profiles' - and it happens seemingly most of all on lines sync'd now at the full 8128 sync when the BT profile has for some reason got down to 2MB
....as your currently is.
If you stay at 8128 sync continuously and it hasn't moved after 3 days then you may need to taken action to get PN to 'give it a kick'
WSF

Thanks for the info, I was wondering how long I should leave things before getting in touch with the PN guys, I'll keep checking it.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If the router says the current WAN up time is more than 72 hours you've already waited long enough!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi WSF,
Looks like both our side and BTs have now jumped up to 7150kbps which is the best speed you can get on ADSL1 - hope that's improved things for you.
WSF

Hi Matt, no improvement yet, and the BT speedtest still shows the IP profile as being 2mb. We've not quite had 3 days uptime yet after rebooting the router over the weekend (currently 2days 10hrs), will continue to check things.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Looks like there might be an IP Profile mismatch across BT's system. Hopefully the Digital Care Team will check this tomorrow.
David
woodsider
Grafter

OK here. Download speed now 40 times what it was. Can live with that!
After an uninterrupted fast line for a little over 72 hours.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@WSF
How are things today?
Tests aren't showing me an issue with a profile mismatch so we might need to look at this as a fault if you're still having issues.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
WSF

Hey Adam, unfortunately things are still the same as of 7pm tonight and BT test is still showing a 2mb profile. I actually raised a support request this morning as I got the feeling it probably wasnt going to fix itself...