cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed throttling?

geewizz
Grafter

Speed throttling?

My usual excessive speeds of 0.5mb along the internet superhighway have been curtailed today. I had to boot the old lady into life this morning, something which is happening more and more frequently over the last month.
I used to be connected all the time. I recently moved from aBroadbrand Premier Option 1 to BBYW. I can't remember if the disconnections started before or after that. It's possible they started at the same time.
It takes me lots of tries to get reconnected. This morning I spent about 15 minutes trying to get online. When I finally connect there's a distinct slowdown and sio I head off for a speed test.
It shows that I'm connected at less than 250kbps
I shudder to think what it would be like to come down to that sort of rate after having 3Mbps or something.
I tried to find out if I had overstepped the mark on usage this month but I spent half an hour on that and gave up researching it.
I thought I would post here and ask if anyone could help me understand what was going on.
But after thinking about it and putting it in perspective (8mb-250kb v 500kb - 250kb) I realised that I was spending time on something quite insignificant. Smiley I'm going off to enjoy the rural splendour outside my house and ponder the marvels of technology that allow me to connect to the world at all from out here in the sticks.
I'm 40 years old and I'm turning hippy.
9 REPLIES 9
James
Grafter

Re: Speed throttling?

Hi there,
I've had a look at both your line and your usage and there's certainly no reason why we would be throttling your connection at all.
I do suspect though that you speed issues are related to the fact that you are suffering from disconnections on your line.  To help to resolve this, I would strongly suggest trying the following:
- Replacing your microfilter
- Ensuring that you're are connecting to your master socket via a filter
- Trying to use a different modem or router if that is at all possible
Please let us know how you get on.
geewizz
Grafter

Thank you for looking into it James Smiley
I appreciate that I've probably posted this in the wrong part of the forums and it really belongs in some general chat area because I'm not too worried about my connection speed now. I started off typing the post as a request for help and then changed my mind as realisation struck home that I'm lucky to have broadband of any speed.
I reckon my filter is ok because it's in the BT box on the wall and I can't remove it to change it.
The modem (or router? The flashy lights box anyway) may be the culprit but I would need to borrow my neighbour's one to check because he has my spare.
It's probably my PC that's at fault. It's two years old now and is showing signs of age.
But thank you for confirming that there's no throttling due to usage. That was my real concern originally, having recently changed package. I couldn't remember what my allowances were and I had difficulty in finding out what was what on the ISP portal.
James
Grafter

Hi again,
Are you saying that you have a BT Faceplate on your master socket that allows you to connect both your phone and modem?  If so, that should be fine.
Are you aware that on your currently product you're entitled to a free router if you stay with us for a year?  It's a BT Voyager 2110 which is a 4 port wireless router.
You would need to pay us £5.99 for P&P, but it might be an idea?
geewizz
Grafter

The master socket does have a BT faceplate with the twin sockets for phone and modem.
I didn't know about the free router offer. When you mentioned it, I checked my own flashy box to make sure it wasn't the same model. Mine is a Binatone Broadband ADSL 500, bought from free-online when I upgraded to broadband.
That got me wondering if that's why I have never been able to get speeds over 500kbps.  Cheesy
I think I'll have to ask my neighbours what speeds they can achieve and then decide if it's worth my time to look into upgrading any of my equipment.
Thanks again, James. Smiley
sophos9
Grafter

Hi,
I replaced my Voyager 205 with a Voyager 2110 and I got an instant 800kbps increase and its a good router as well!
Not overly sure (better chipset, additional tech, better filtering??) but who cares, it is what it is!
geewizz
Grafter

Does anyone know if the Binatone ADSL 500 is capable of speeds over 500kbps? In other words, is the 500 in the name anything to do with speed?
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Generally older kit is capable of receiving at least 2Mbps and should be capable of receiving upto 8Mbps.
However, it is possible that it may not be able to receive "Max" speeds, but should be good for more than 500KBps.
andyrogers
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi again,
Are you saying that you have a BT Faceplate on your master socket that allows you to connect both your phone and modem?  If so, that should be fine.
Are you aware that on your currently product you're entitled to a free router if you stay with us for a year?  It's a BT Voyager 2110 which is a 4 port wireless router.
You would need to pay us £5.99 for P&P, but it might be an idea?

Jameseh
How would I be able to tell if iam eligable for a free wireless rounter to on my broadband package?
Iam looking at changeing mine soonish possibly.
Thanks
Andrew
James
Grafter

Hi Andy,
You are entitled to this.  However, there will be a P&P charge of £5.99 and if you were to cancel within 12 months, we would require a payment of £50.
If you raise a ticket the CSC will be able to sort this out for you nice and quickly.