Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed stuck ?

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speed stuck ?

It looks like it has from the reporting at BT, though it doesn't look ideal. There may be a profile mismatch (shouldn't be after an SNR reset, but still) but at the moment I can't check unfortunately - I'd recommend resyncing the connection around lunchtime each day over the weekend in order that the exchange records some new (and improved) values, and that should give the profile a kick. If not I'll run some more checks when I'm back in the office on Monday.
Hope that helps,
JamesM
Grafter

OK, thanks Matt, will do as you say over the weekend.
Also I have found the problem with my line, I decided to check the wiring coming from the outside and goes through my front door frame, it comes in and disappears behind some false skirting, the wire coming out of the false skirting going to my master socket was slightly different. I ripped the false skirting off and found an old junction box. I took the wires off the junction box so I could wire them straight to my master socket and when I took the wires out of the old master socket I noticed one of the 1mm copper wires was snapped and was only held in place by the rubber sheaff. I stripped the wire back (not a lot of wire to play with, stingy BT) to as solid piece and wired it straight into the master socket.
Hope that makes sense, anyway all should be fixed now because I am guessing that the broken copper wire was to blame for my odd unexplained disconnections.
As I said there is not a lot of wire to play with so what are the chances of BT coming out and replacing the wire that goes from the anchor point on the outside wall coming into my house because the junction box was only inches away from my front door and my master socket was about 2 metres away and I would like to put the master socket back where it was. On the other hand I could do it myself, or will this upset BT.
edit
There will be maybe four or five disconnections showing earlier on today around 3 to 4 PM, which was me swapping the master socket for the junction box. When I first wired up my master socket I synced at 768 with an attenuation of around 70, now after finding and fixing the broken wire my attenuation has gone back to normal at 29 and my sync has gone up to 11287.
Thanks
James

This is the same as the junction box I have just removed
JamesM
Grafter

Are these junction boxes needed anymore ? my Mum has one and I would like to get rid of that one too.
Also if I were to replace the wire coming from the anchor point on the outside of my house coming down my wall and in through my front door frame, what is the best wire to use ?
Thanks
James
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Hang on, I got the same as your (picture of juntion box outside of my bin cupboard) that went to the hallway of the BT master socket, do u think I should ask plusnet to get bt engineer to get that off ? It might do the trick to increase my line sync.
I think the junction box is on BT property as you not suppose to removed it off ? or could face a penalty fine by BT.
JamesM
Grafter

There was also an extension wire coming out of mine too going under the carpet and upstairs, I have no extensions upstairs so I got rid of the wire. I can't put my junction box back now as the wires dont reach anymore after cutting the broken wire off. I would say the junction boxes have been there since the 60's so I am guessing they are well past thier use by date.
JamesM
Grafter

Looks like it is fixed now after fixing the broken wire  Cheesy
Just waiting for the interleaving off to go through.
Type                  Interleave Path
Status                SHOWTIME
                                  Downstream                  Upstream 
Data rate(Kbps)                12438                        888
Noise Margin                      4                                12
Output power(dBm)            12                              20
Attenuation(dB)                29                              16
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you looked to see how many FEC errors interleaving is correcting?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
JamesM
Grafter

Unfortunately Jelv, the only information I can get from my router page is what I have copied above. Belkin have got rid of the hidden pages that gave errors stats.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That's a ******! Without that information it's difficult to know whether turning off interleaving is a sensible choice.
JamesM
Grafter

These are the stats that I got from a fault ticket, I don't think it looks too clever, but I am hoping that fixing the broken 1mm copper wire that was broke just before the old junction box as it comes into my house may have fixed the problems I was having, since I fixed it my sync has gone from 10000 to 12438, and my D/L speed has gone from 7.6 to 10.7Mpbs
Loop Loss:              16.8                  29.8
SNR Margin:              6                        6
Errored Seconds:      0                      4
HEC Errors:              0
Cell Count:          1513044            42411342
Speed:                  1215                    9721

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 11360                                        Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 9088
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 85982                        Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 741
Indicative Line Quality: A                                                            Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 9
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I wait a bit before getting interleaving off with those figures. Is your current latency an issue?
JamesM
Grafter

I know latency shouldn't be an issue as my ping has only risen by 10, from 15 to 25, but since interleaving was turned back on last week I have gone from something like 60 kills / 20 deaths to 30 kills / 30 deaths. Maybe it is just phsycological knowing that my ping has gone up, or maybe better players have started playing on the server. Undecided
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It's psychological! There will be people further away from London than you with interleaving off who have worse pings.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can see there's an order in the system to remove interleaving, that should take effect on the 16th from checking on it - hopefully that'll sort things out for you, please let us know.
Out of interest, which game? Smiley
JamesM
Grafter

I play BFBC2 on the PC Matt, mainly Africa Harbour conquest.