Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed stuck ?

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speed stuck ?

Whatever's between the router and the PCs connected to it won't make any difference to the sync, or at least it shouldn't do. As the modem is in the router itself the sync should only be affected by wiring between the router and the socket (plus the wiring between your premises and the exchange, though there's nothing you can really do to influence that I'm afraid).
Not sure what to suggest to be honest though I would definitely recommend that when you go to resync the connection you do so by disconnecting via the buttons in the router's interface rather than by powering it off or unplugging it, as that way the exchange will receive the request to end the connection and won't read it as a forced disconnect (i.e. a fault).
JamesM
Grafter

I will give it one more restart to see if I can get it over 9000 then leave it for a week and see what happens.
Is it possible Matt, for you to check if interleaving is still off, as there is no where in my router stats to say if it is or isn't. In my member settings under connection it says interleaving is on, but it has allways said that.
Thanks
James.
edit,  9205 sync, speed still at 7600. No matter how many times I restart the speed never changes, this is why I thought it was stuck, usually I restart and the speed drops and picks up again later but it hasn't changed for 3 weeks now.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Looks like it's on Auto at the moment, it was turned back on yesterday after having been off since the 18th June. If you like I could place an order to turn it on permanently?
JamesM
Grafter

I would prefer it off Permanently to be honest, I don't know why it was turned back on, unless BT thought the restarts on Saturday were a problem line. My connection is rock solid even with interleaving off, I didn't realise though that I would lose 3Mbps download speed with it off. Is it normal to lose 30% sync with it off ?
Would a 10 day line retrain bring back my 13000 sync ?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's extremely unlikely that interleaving caused the drop in speed, at most you should lose a few hundred kilobits - certainly not megabits.
If you're confident that the line is stable and not dropping then we can happily remove interleaving and even request an SNR reset if you wish, though we'd have to do them one after the other?
JamesM
Grafter

Hi Matt,
I had a reply from my questions in the member cemtre and heres what it said :-
On looking further into the account, I can see that you opted to uncap the upstream ( I missed this on your first ticket), you are currently syncing at 1203 for upstream. This is the most likely cause for the drop in speed, although you may not see the full speed lost in downstream gained in upstream. This should have been advised to you when you requested to be uncapped, could you confirm?

I have asked if it is possible to cap my upstream as I didn't know that was the cause of my 3000 drop in speed. So hopefully it will go back up. My ping has also gone back to 15 so I don't know whats going on there.
If I take away the disconnections that are down to me then I have only lost the connection once in over 2 weeks and that was when interleaving was off, so it seems to be a very stable connection.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

To be honest I'd be tempted to try the SNR reset first, as that should lower the downstream SNR - unfortunately however I can't do that whilst there's an order going through. By the same token though capping the upstream might improve the downstream speed, the high SNR is the only thing that makes me wonder.
As things stand the best thing to do would be to leave the uncap order to go through and see how that works, but if you'd rather try the SNR reset let us know and we'll stop the uncap order from going through. We can't do both at once though I'm afraid.
JamesM
Grafter

Matt, If it is OK then I will take your advice and have the SNR reset first. Normally the downstream noise is around 7 in the morning and 4 at night, the upstream noise stays around 6 uncapped and around 26 capped.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's been requested for you, hope it settles things and improves the speed. Should take effect in an hour or so.
JamesM
Grafter

Thanks Matt,
So basically I just leave it alone now for 10 days ?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

See how it settles, but don't be afraid to resync it once a day or so (round lunchtime, and make sure it's done via the router's interface rather than by unplugging or powering off) as this will help the exchange sort the line profile faster.
JamesM
Grafter

My speed still seems way too slow for an attenuation of 29, resynced 3 times and went from 9205 > 10809 > 10424 > 10456. Even though my sync has gone up my speed is still stuck at 7.6. I am halfway through my snr reset but it is not looking good.
Test1 comprises of two tests
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
6455 Kbps

0 Kbps 21000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6455 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :10454 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1208 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 9223 Kbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
969 Kbps

0 Kbps 1208 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 969 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1208 Kbps

WWWombat
Grafter

James,
You say "my speed is still stuck at 7.6" a few times here - but which speed is that?
Obviously not your sync speed, as you show it keeps changing. Nor the BT Speedtester, as you just showed that to be 6455.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
JamesM
Grafter

These are the 2 that I check,

and my broadband speedtest
Today 15:39
7534 kbps (942kB/s)
1024 kbps (128kB/s)

Today 11:21
7538 kbps (942kB/s)
1019 kbps (127kB/s)

Yesterday 22:04
7529 kbps (941kB/s)
1021 kbps (128kB/s)

Sunday 11:25
7537 kbps (942kB/s)
1014 kbps (127kB/s)
WWWombat
Grafter

Right...
The speeds there suggest that you are limited by the IP Profile value, although I'm not exactly sure *what* value you will be set to...
From the Kitz data on IP Profiles, your sync speeds are split between the ranges of the 8000 and 9000 profiles.
On the face of it, regular speeds of about 7.6Mbps like that, suggest an IP profile of 8Mbps. But that 0.4Mbps "overhead" seems a little small to me; yet a 1.4Mbps overhead from a 9Mbps profile seems too large: when I had a profile of 7150 (from a sync of 8128), I'd get regular results from Speedtest.net of about 6.5Mbps. If I scaled that proportionately, I'd have said your profile would be 8.4Mbps.
The data you gave from the BT speedtest showed:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :10454 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1208 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 9223 Kbps

That "odd" value of 9223 shows that you are currently caught in the new trial for IP Profile values. Unfortunately, the trial is limited to only showing you what IP Profile value you would be getting; it doesn't seem to extend as far as actually giving you the faster speed yet (hopefully October, according to other reports I've seen on here).
Unfortunately, the allocation of an IP Profile to control your speeds still follows the old mechanism - where 2 delays  get in the way:
a) When the Sync speed rises, and causes a change to the IP profile, the new value gets delayed by a period of up to 5 days according to this scale at Kitz. A change from 8000 to 9000 would be delayed by 72 hours.
b) When a change actually occurs at BT, the change also needs to be reflected at Plusnet. A "delta report" takes care of this, but can take 12 hours to be seen at Plusnet.
It is hard to say just how much of the delay still exists with this trial going on, but you'll probably need to wait at least 3-4 days to see a change in the speeds at speedtest.net. Note that if your sync speed drops back into the lower range within that 4 day period, then you'd not see the increase at all.
What value does Plusnet have your line speed? You'll find that under High Speed Broadband on the portal. One of your earlier posts had an 8Mbps value here.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.