cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed stuck at 250kbps since activation - Terrible service

drdoak

Speed stuck at 250kbps since activation - Terrible service

After an estimated speed of approximately 13MBps, our broadband speed has been stuck at a glacial 250kbps since activation. Plusnet are taking their 72 hours to tell me what's wrong. No idea how long it will take for another BT engineer to come out and fix the fault (days, weeks?). Assuming one will be scrambled then it will be the 3rd day of holiday I will have had to take off just to get broadband.
The 1st was taken off for an engineer to arrive who never showed. The 2nd was for the engineer to show and evidently do a bad job at setting up the internet. The 3rd will be for an engineer to finally put this right.
No apology from Plusnet for the amount of my time/holiday they've wasted or for the delay in providing me with an acceptable service that I'm paying for. No suggestion of compensation either.
All the while my business has suffered because I have been unable to undertake work from home.
Another uphill struggle with yet another organisation that doesn't seem to value my custom whatsoever. Just hanging around now until it hopefully gets sorted...
Suffice to say a formal complaint will be issued. Sadly because they don't have real people on the phones for that I will need to email it to them. Another example of their poor customer service. Speaking to a real person who even remotely cares about the situation would help greatly at this point.
5 REPLIES 5
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Speed stuck at 250kbps since activation - Terrible service

Hi drdoak,
Welcome to our community forums.
Sorry to hear of the issues that you had with your installation and I certainly offer our apologies for that.
I've taken a look over your connection and it seems that there may be an issue with the phone line, I'm getting some further tests carried out. Do you hear any noise or crackling when you lift the handset up?
This shouldn't be a long drawn out process whatsoever and I'll keep an eye on it, you should now be seeing an improvement on your speeds?
If you don't feel this is going the way you think it should please let me know and I'll help out all I can.
Chris
drdoak

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your response.
Yes I have noticed interference on the line. I have just been on a teleconference and there was intermittent clicking and I actually got disconnected at one point.
I have just had a response too from the faults team so it seems as this is being looked at. It would however be very useful to know when exactly it will be addressed so that I can plan accordingly (e.g. avoid working at home, needing to be in to let the engineer in etc).
Could you also explain what the normal course of action is from this point forward? e.g. new phone line, new router, remote resolution etc
Any information would be enormously helpful.
Thanks
Matt
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi drdoak (I hope that's an n64 goldeneye reference, it's certainly where I remember the name from... never did manage to beat that mission in under 2:05 to get the invincibility cheat though :/)
Anyway. I'm very sorry for how this has all started, but thanks for your time on the phone - I hope tomorrow's engineer visit gets thing sorted for you, please let us know. I'll make sure to chase things on Tuesday morning when I'm back in the office.
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: drdoak
All the while my business has suffered because I have been unable to undertake work from home.
Another uphill struggle with yet another organisation that doesn't seem to value my custom whatsoever. Just hanging around now until it hopefully gets sorted...
Suffice to say a formal complaint will be issued. Sadly because they don't have real people on the phones for that I will need to email it to them. Another example of their poor customer service. Speaking to a real person who even remotely cares about the situation would help greatly at this point.

While I understand where you are coming from and your line clearly has a problem somewhere, can I enquire whether you have paid for a business grade broadband service which will come with the appropiate level of phone response and some level of guaranteed response times to attend to faults etc?
Since the issue here seems to be that your work work/business has suffered as a result of the problem.
Domestic cheap and cheerful mass market broadband for personal and household use is supplied on the basis that the ISP and the BTOR will do their best endeavours to repair the faults in reasonable time but do not offer any guarantees at all.
Yes, bespoke business services cost a lot more depending on the level of service package bought but if a broadband supply is essential to your work then really this is what you should be looking at.
Mind you this will not protect you from things beyond BTOR's reasonable control where such business guarantees would not apply  - eg your line is damaged/stolen by theives - which will put you off for  7 to 10 days or so - I know it's happened to me.
To protect you against this sort of eventuality some sort of automated 3G/4G 'fail over' backup plan is necessary to keep you up and running.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi drdoak,
Things are looking a lot better since the engineer visit, hope that's your experience too? Please let us know how it's gone and if it's sorted, we'll need to get it chased if not. Hoping all is well now though Smiley