Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed slower

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Speed slower

Do you have any fixed extension sockets and wiring and are you using any extension leads between the socket and filter or filter to modem/router?
is still relevant though, as is
another modem/router, filter
 Wink
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Anotherone,
A fault has been raised and our faults team are dealing with it. There's no need for further diagnostics. If the OP want's to share the current situation then that's up to them but as I said before, Spencer has this in hand.
Jojo Smiley
KaotiK
Grafter

Ok engineer has been, done all his checks, made sure the socket in my room is the master socket and the only one receiving broadband now. He said hes sending you the report or something anyway. But basically means theres nothing wrong in my house.
He said it could be you capping me..? if thats the case im not going to be happy as there is no reason for me to be throttled.
My connection just dropped then aswell, so i hope there isnt something wrong with somethings hes touched now either, will add to ym frustration.
But ye speed is still at 4mb, so its your end according to him.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not sure if he's still there or coming back, but you should know that there's absolutely no way anything we do can affect the sync rate of the connection. The signal starts in the exchange and ends at your router, none of that is anything to do with us.
We can affect throughput speed, sure, but not the speed at which your router syncs with the exchange.
Hope he does manage to get it sorted for you.
KaotiK
Grafter

hes gone, half hour ago, ive disconncted twice now also.. ive enever had problems with disconnecting. This is why i dread engineers. I hope this doesnt continue , im raging as it is.
He checked the line and the max speed or something i should get is 6.5mb - 7mb....
he said he thinks it could be you guys throttling. Which has happened to me before from you in my old property.
And if your sayign you cant, then what happens? how can i get this sorted exactly? right now im dealing with the slower speeds, and it looks like constant disconnections because of what the engineer has done. beyond annoyed.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
There'll be a full update on your ticket, but to summarise:
The engineer found a star wiring configuration in your premises which I believe the engineer has sorted out (that would add interference and cause a slower sync speed). He's also flexed the port at the exchange which will be what caused the disconnections.
You should, from now on, see the speed gradually increasing - hope it happens quickly for you though.
KaotiK
Grafter

Ok so for me to calm down, the disconnections are only temporary? correct?
And with regards to the speeds? how long do i give it to notice a increase before "moaning" Smiley again?
cheers
Anotherone
Champion

What's your current  stats?
KaotiK
Grafter

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 121411 213415 0 1385 49928 01:35:06
LAN 10M/100M 213920 124801 0 48908 1956 01:38:09
WLAN 11M/54M 2908 0 0 132 0 01:38:00
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7520 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 18 db 3.5 db
Noise Margin 6 db 23 db

so its saying 7.5mb now, instead of 5mb, which hopefully means itl start rising like matt said? i hope anyway.
on the line speed check in the member centre its still 5mb though.
Anotherone
Champion

If the engineer has checked your line as being OK, I'm guessing from what you say he's fitted one of these ADSL faceplates.
You need to borrow another modem/router just to check, because either yours is misreporting your line attenuation or your sync speed is well below what it should be. I'm guessing it may misreporting the attenuation because you should otherwise be syncing at  8128 or very nearly on a 20CN line.
It does look as though the line has been reset as the Target Noise Margin now looks as though it is 6dB instead or the 12 or 15dB previously. (that would probably be the cause of the couple of drops you've just seen).
Edit: I'm assuming you are on 20CN from previous info. and it may take about 3 days for the BT IP profile for your line to goto 6.5Mb with your current sync speed. Leave the modem/router on 24/7 for the time being otherwise it can take longer. Run the BT speedtest to check the IP profile and then check your Current Line speed at the member centre (login required) they should ultimately match.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Anotherone
If the engineer has checked your line as being OK, I'm guessing from what you say he's fitted one of these ADSL faceplates.

There was nothing in the notes to suggest a faceplate has been fitted, which isn't necessarily a problem. As I posted though he has removed a star wiring configuration.
You need to borrow another modem/router just to check, because either yours is misreporting your line attenuation or your sync speed is well below what it should be. I'm guessing it may misreporting the attenuation because you should otherwise be syncing at  8128 or very nearly on a 20CN line.

I would say this isn't essential unless the speed doesn't pick up over the next couple of days - hopefully the fault is now fixed and Kaotik can get back to enjoying using the connection if he wishes rather than doing further tests Smiley
Don't get me wrong, I have no objection to anyone doing whatever tests they wish. Just saying that the faults team have advised him that the speed will uplift, so why not see if it does before looking for any more problems?
It does look as though the line has been reset as the Target Noise Margin now looks as though it is 6dB instead or the 12 or 15dB previously. (that would probably be the cause of the couple of drops you've just seen).

*ahem*
Quote from: Matt
He's also flexed the port at the exchange which will be what caused the disconnections.

KaotiK
Grafter

He fitted a master filter or something, so i dont have to use one of those adsl filters.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah, fantastic - that will help (and is just what Anotherone said Smiley )
Good news. Hope the speed does carry on getting better, please let us know if the profile on our side doesn't adjust and needs bumping.
Anotherone
Champion

[pedant mode]
That's what I was guessing
Quote from: KaotiK
Ok engineer has been, done all his checks, made sure the socket in my room is the master socket and the only one receiving broadband now.
(my bold)
.............Don't get me wrong, I have no objection to anyone doing whatever tests they wish. Just saying that the faults team have advised him that the speed will uplift, so why not see if it does before looking for any more problems?

There is a problem in that the modem/router is clearly misreporting or something is preventing him from getting full speed. I've already indicated that I suspect it's the modem/router misreporting. There are 2 ways to check that, if the real attenuation is posted in any test data on the ticket, and if posted here that would help should he have any future problems or queries, or by doing a modem/router swap.
I should perhaps point out 2 things, this is not the OP's first post where his problems hadn't been solved previously (not necessarily anyone's fault) and if he has any future queries or problems, incorrect stats can waste a lot of people's time running around in circles, never mind confusing them.  Smiley
*ahem*

He's also flexed the port at the exchange which will be what caused the disconnections.

Now't wrong with a bit of plain english that non technical people can understand as well as the technical detail.  Wink
[/pedant mode]
Have a nice day  Smiley
KaotiK
Grafter

Heres my bt speedtester thing.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.61 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7.52 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4 Mbps
ip profile at 4mb? Sad doesnt that mean im stuck there untill you guys change it ?Huh
cant you give that a nudge? im sure you have done in the past for me.
in regards to trying different routers, i did that yesterday. no change, engineer told me not to bother with that as its not that also. Its not my router thats for sure.