cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed's just dropped through the floor

hoojama

Speed's just dropped through the floor

Hi there,
We were trundling along very pleasantly at near to 2Mbit.  (we're quite a way from the exchange)
Unfortunately my speed's just dropped through the floor..
my router reports:
DownStream Connection Speed  - 2624 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
your speed test reports sync speed of 500kbps and were getting real speeds of around 450 kbps...
nothing's changed in the router configuration or setup, but we seem to have been downgraded for some reason..
any ideas?
many thanks,
Tim
7 REPLIES 7
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Speed's just dropped through the floor

Could you do a speedtest at: http://www.speedtester.bt.com and post the full results here?
This should indicate what your IP profile is set to, which may help to explain the sudden drop.
B.
*Jameseh* I've just edited Barry's link.
hoojama

i did a test earlier and, if i remember correctly, it reported an IP profile of 750kbps, but it now won't let me repeat the test as it's within 3 hours of the last one.. nice one BT..
thanks for the swift response Smiley
boone70
Grafter

I had the same problem on Sunday while downloading a large file, it was going merrily along showing about 6 minutes to go and then slowed down to about 120 kb which made the download time shoot up to 4 hours :'(. I was going along quite merrily at 3mb for months and then got dropped down to about 2mb which was OK for me. But there doesn't seem to be any good reason for the drop. I have done all the usual checks which show up nothing. I suppose until we get fibre lines broadband will stay unreliable.  By the way the speed has gone back to about 1880 of it's own accord  Grin
hoojama

dunno if anyone actually did anything, or if it just shook out over time, but i'm back up to 1845 kbps (231kB/s)
so i'm happy once more Smiley yay.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
link:speed
This will suggest that your IP Profile has bumped up again, following your synhronisation speeds being above the old profile, so your speeds have now increased again Smiley
Gareth
Dabbler

Old usb modem blew up two days back, not before slowing right down (desk top monitor) - new usb modem (Zoom 5110B) also seemed slow so have done Speedtester, twice about 3 hours apart;
IP Profile 1mbps
Up 448/448
Down  5440/4128
Throughput 874/891
Only 300 yds from exchange which can turn out 6/8 mbps and showing green
Have read James's excellent piece, my question, would the old modem malfunction have triggered a low IP Profile, and should I be hopeful of a recovery in a few days ?
James
Grafter

Hi Gareth,
Yes - If your old modem caused a lower level of synchronisation and you're now seeing faster levels, then your actual throughput speeds shold increase after about 3 days.