Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed remains unchanged

dominoid747
Dabbler

Speed remains unchanged

Hi,
we changed our line over to 21CN a few weeks ago. The change went live as far as i can tell 11 days ago as our connection went down for the first itme in months then returned showing a downstream line speed of 9 meg. Thing is, even with this increase in line, the actual speed we're getting doesn't seem to have changed. We're pretty close to the exchange so we generally get a good speed and stable connnection. Prior to 21CN we were getting between 5 and 6 meg down. Now we have 21CN we get approximitely 5 to 6 meg down. Now I'm pleased that the connection is still stable, it proves that 21CN, unlike so many technologies BT has introduced, works quite well. The connection has not gone down since installation and ping tests show no dropped packets anywhere or anything dodgy like that,  but I was expecting at least a bit of an increase in speed even if not a massive one.

Stats from the router ( Thomson TG585 v7) are as follows:
Uptime: 11 days, 5:59:01
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 952 / 9,832
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 5.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 20.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.0 / 34.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 4.0 / 8.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 42 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 28 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 688 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 11,458 / 17,539,237
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 11,458 / 10,233
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 10,310 / 8,966
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Speed remains unchanged

Can you run a bt speedtest to get your BT profile  here http://speedtester.bt.com/ and see if it matches your PN profile here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Both those profiles should say 8000kbps. If they do you might need to disconnect from Plusnet then reconnect to activate the increased Plusnet profile on your connection.
There is no need to restart your router (unless you want to), just log into its web interface at http://192.168.1.254, click Broadband Connection on the left, then click the Disconnect button on the right, and click again to reconnect.
After that you should see a difference in speed tests.
David
David
dominoid747
Dabbler

I had a look at both and got the following results:
BT:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 9204 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  952 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 8000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5700 kbps
PN:
Estimated line speed:
Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
So after a reboot I tried again. The BT speedtester is still on a 3 hour cooldown but I checked the plusnet one and it still says 6500. Another reboot later just to make sure and still no change. So does this mean my Plusnet profile is what's throttling it and the speed is marked for my regular ADSL sync speed?
EDIT: I see there's a sticky for this problem already. I'll post in there instead. Sorry to waste a thread with a problem already covered on the forum.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
I've made a change to your profiling at this end.
If you reboot your router you should hopefully notice an improvement in speed.
dominoid747
Dabbler

You beat me in trying to move this problem to the sticky Jameseh! About 600 Kbps faster now and seems to be a slight drop in latency for a peak time too. Thanks Smiley