Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed recently dropped to half

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Speed recently dropped to half

I now have a wonderfully stable internet service - but it's a real pity that everyone can't get the same. Most people in my vicinity are stuck on around 2Mbps...

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Here's the curious statistics from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed - surely the range should go up to at least 6Mb - or are they trying to avoid alerting people to the fact that they CAN get higher speeds?
Estimated line speed:
2.0Mb (This may vary between 1Mb and 3.5Mb) - Checked on 2015-06-11 20:16:00
Current line speed:
6 Mb
cedlor
Grafter

Maybe  a reply from PN is required but as I understand it the estimated speed section is just the result of a one off test at a given time
and reflects the condition of the line and any external factors ( noise/rein)  The band shown does not increase if the line improves,
it would only show different IF they did a further test AND recoreded it.
At that time in your case you had some problems hence the low figures.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The estimated speed is derived from BT's databases which is populated by the average speeds from subscribers in that locality.  Individual experiences might be different due to the differing quality of their phone line.
By the sounds of things you are fortunate to have a line which is better than the majority of others in your locality.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.