cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed problems - non-techie needs advice please.

bwthornton

Speed problems - non-techie needs advice please.

My broadband speed has never been brilliant due to my distance from the exchange and 1960s copper wiring but last week, following some disconnections, it became very slow indeed. At the time (following a period of heavy rain) I noticed crackling on the 'phone line but this seemed to clear up pretty quickly as the weather improved.
I did a BT speed test last Friday and got the following results.
Download speed: 113Kbps (50-250 is acceptable)
DSL connection rate: 2656Kbps downstream; 448Kbps upstream
IP profile: 135 Kbps  Cry
I read that following dropped connections the system will find a stable setting and then increase over a three day period.
Another BT test carried out  this morning showed:
Download speed: 211Kbps (Max achievable is 2000Kbps ; acceptable range is 400-2000Kbps)
DSL connection rate: 2656Kbps downstream; 448Kbps upstream
IP profile: 2000Kbps  Sad
After this second test I was prompted to carry out further tests but, as I'm still using Windows XP and don't really understand what I'm doing, the on-screen instructions made no sense and I was unable to work out what to do next.
Do I now need to raise this with Plusnet as a problem and if so, how do I go about doing this?
I'd appreciate some guidance on this.
4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Speed problems - non-techie needs advice please.

Those further tests would have been a waste of time, and in my opinion are only worth doing if specifically asked to by the Plusnet Faults Team. The low throughput seen on the test will be due to the Plusnet profile setting. This is shown as Current line speed in the Member Centre here.
The BT speedtest shows your IP Profile has now increased to 2000kbps (which is correct for your sync speed). The Plusnet profile now needs to increase to match the BT value. This should happen automatically within a day of the BT change.
David
bwthornton

Thank you for your very helpful reply to my query, Spraxyt.
Much appeciated!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Sump
...following a period of heavy rain I noticed crackling on the 'phone line but this seemed to clear up pretty quickly as the weather improved....

I have had this happen to me.  You probably have a line that is routed underground, not through overhead wires.  Along the route there will be several junctions in the phone wiring under manhole covers.  These will often fill with water if it rains heavily.  The actual wiring junctions are meant to be inside a waterproof housing but this sometimes fails, water gets in and you get an audibly bad line and reduced broadband performance until the water drains away.  I'm afraid this will only get worse over time but BT may not be able to detect the faulty junction unless you are actually experiencing the fault.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Sump Rat,
Your profile was lowered due to some line drops, It is now back to 2000 and I have matched our profile to this. If you disconnect then connect via the router homepage you will see the increase.
Jojo Smiley