cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed now dropped to approx 2.5 mbps!

esseff
Grafter

Speed now dropped to approx 2.5 mbps!

Nothing has been changed at my end, but I've been noticing a marked drop in my line speed. I usual get 5-6mbps, which I was this morning, but it's now around 2.5mbps when I run speed tests, thus confirming my suspicions. Any reason why this should be?
9 REPLIES 9
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Speed now dropped to approx 2.5 mbps!

It is possibly due to the problem with a pipe dropping out (it was posted as a service status) and now the system is a bit ‘unbalanced’. The advice seems to be to switch off your router for about 30 min (it lets the connection reset) and then re-connect, this will help to balance the pipes again and you may connect to a faster gateway.
Regards, P.
7th_star
Grafter

Hi esseff,
perhaps similar to what happened to me yesterday. (Usually 5500/6000kbps throughput, but had dropped to sub 2500kbps on downloads.
I checked my stable rate on the portal (down to 2500kbps from 6000kbps) and used the BT speed test (took a silly number of tries to get it to run) and it showed a bras of 2500kbps, indicating that there had been a bad synch on my line that day. (Probably wind and rain affecting the long overhead wires here).
I rebooted the router and synched closer to usual speeds, but of course throughput was then restricted by the bras rate of 2500kbps.
Then this morning when I booted up the router etc, it showed perfectly normal synch rates for me of 7616kbps.
My stable rate on the portal showed 5500kbps (a little down on usual), and throughput matched this on downloads.
So I guess that BT's recent changes to the way bad synchs are handled seems to work well! IE; My line speed came back this morning instead of waiting for 3 days, as it used to be. Smiley
esseff
Grafter

Well, I noticed that the gateway in question was PTE-AG2, where as I'm currently connected to PTN-AG2. I'm still showing a 3mbps connection this morning, yet my sync rate remains at 7616. How do I check my stable rate on the portal?
James
Grafter

Hi esseff,
We had a bit of a problem with one of our gateways over the course of the weekend.  This resulted in our other gateways being more congested than usual.  This means that for some of our customers who will have been connected to our busier gateway, may have seen slower download speeds than usual.
I've also run a couple of checks on your line and can see that your sync rate nor profile have changed, so once we see a balance across our network, your speeds should be fine.  It may be an idea to try rebooting your router and then see if you experience an improvement in your speed.
7th_star
Grafter

Quote from: esseff
How do I check my stable rate on the portal?

Hi esseff, you can bookmark this link; https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
Following the post by Jameseh, it is obvious that your speed issue is not related to a bad synch, as was the case for me.
esseff
Grafter

Well, I've just run another speed test, and I'm still getting less than 3mbps! I understand that this is peak time and there will be a higher contention, and you say my stats are normal, but this speed is not right, especially when I'm used to between 5 and 6 mbps (upstream speeds are normal at around 375kbps).
netreg
Grafter

I have just run a speed test and i'm horrified..
i managed a staggering 780kbps....  My speed has been dropping since i joined PN...
whats going on support?  please give me my speed back..  Im slower now than when i was with Pipex.
esseff
Grafter

This morning my speeds are back to 5mbps. So, something changed overnight - hope it stays this way.
James
Grafter

Hi Netreg,
Can I ask you if you have tried rebooting your hardware?  I've run a test on your line and you're showing as being profiled as 5Mbps at both our and BTs end.
We did experience some gateway difficulties yesterday afternoon which may have resulted in some customers seeing poorer speeds.
Let me know how you get on.