cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed keeps dropping

missisbeki
Grafter

Speed keeps dropping

Recently moved onto the ADSL2+ and also changed my packages from BBYW 3 to Extra pro.
It was great at first but recently we have been noticing a lot of speed dips, and its not just at peak times.
Stats from router:

DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 3 days, 20:59:36
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 17,679
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.5 / 24.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.0 / 3.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 12 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): NA / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): NA / 4,551
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2,511
Current line speed:
Estimated line speed:
   8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-06-27 22:49:35
Current line speed:
   15 Mb
And speed test results: Did a speedtest.net test after the bt one and got similar results which is why its in an opened tab.
The first is a recent one, the others are from previous days
44 REPLIES 44
mightysimo

Re: Speed keeps dropping

Hi missisbeki,
I've ran some quick tests on your line and results show there appears to be a mismatch in speed profiles on our suppliers systems. This would cause your throughput speeds to be lower than what is expected. We have completed a reset on your line this evening to try to correct this. You may see a couple of drops in connection and some fluctuations to your speed over the next couple of days. Please retest your broadband speed towards the end of this week. Thanks.
missisbeki
Grafter

Thanks for the speedy reply (no pun intended!)
Will keep an eye on it and report back later.
Just wondering why its only just become a problem as like I say for the last few weeks its been perfectly fine?
mightysimo

Hi missisbeki,
I can speculate what may have caused this problem of a mismatch on our suppliers systems. Most likely our suppliers systems have not updated properly when you changed over from ADSL1 to ADSL2+.
From the reset done on your line, it seems that your broadband throughput speeds have increased. According to the latest BT speedtest you have done, your throughput speeds have increased to 9.7mb. Please continue to monitor your speeds over the next 8 days as your line is still within its training period as fluctuations will be expected during this time.
missisbeki
Grafter

It seems to be hovering at around that 9.7 mark but as you said it can fluctuate. Have noticed though that it seems slower some sites are timing out before they load up, and also if we are uploading (photos to facebook etc) then xbox lags so badly its unplayable, and other pages won't load. Feel like since moving to ADSL2+ we have gone backwards starting to wish we didn't bother and so hoping it sorts itself out soon.
Thanks for looking into it.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

You should ask to have your upstream uncapped. It's currently capped at 443, but you should be able to get close to 1Mb upstream on ADSL2+.
missisbeki
Grafter

If it was uncapped would it stop everything else from lagging? I'm not bothered if the upload is a bit slow I just can't deal with the lagging. Thanks
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

If the upstream is congested then the downstream will definitely lag. Basically, if TCP "ack" packets are held up, the next downstream TCP packets will wait for the previous packets to be acknowledged, thus giving the impression of downstream lag.
You need to uncap your upstream, and make sure anything uploading is not using all the available upstream bandwidth.
missisbeki
Grafter

Just an update, speed seems to be constant at 9.5 right now.
Not terrible as such but hoping it improves as we were told 15 (+/-2 roughly) and were getting around 13 before all this happened.
Still having big problems with uploading causing problems with xbox live, it will kick us out of parties and lag etc  Sad
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

I see from that screen shot that you are on Windows XP - it may be that you need to tweak your RWIN and MTU settings. Download and run DrTCP which may help a lot.
missisbeki
Grafter

Could I have that in simpleton speak please Cheesy
I'm reluctant to mess with things given that until recently everything was perfect and knowing me I would probably screw something up!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: missisbeki
Just an update, speed seems to be constant at 9.5 right now.

The speed you achieved in the test is still some way short of your IP Profile (which is 13000 kbps) so there is still something wrong (assuming there wasn't some other computer/xbox accessing the internet when you ran the test).  I don't know if Plusnet will take another look now or will want to wait the full 8 days.
missisbeki
Grafter

Nope nothing was connected beside the pc I was testing.
I think my original IP profile was 15500 ish which was then lowered to 15000 then lowered to 13500 and then again to 13000.
It was on the 15500 that I was achieving the 13mb ish.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It doesn't look like your connection is dropping at all (though you may have noticed differently, please let us know if that's the case) so not sure what's going on there. I'd say it'd be worth resyncing the router by logging on to its web page and disconnecting then reconnecting the broadband from there, rather than turning it off then back on again. If you do this once a day around lunchtime the profile should improve within a week or so.
Hope that helps,
missisbeki
Grafter

Nope no drops that I have noticed. I will give the disconnecting a go and see how I get on with it.
Thanks