Rising Star

Re: Speed just took a big dump

Now gone 2pm, still no engineer.
My line speed from the plusnet checker shows
Telephone number:
Phone exchange:
CODFORD-ST-MARY
Estimated line speed:
80Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-11-12 15:52:36
Current line speed:
80 Mb
Yet im still using ADSL and i have had no resyncs so my line hasn't been moved over.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you done any more to investigate what the uploads are?
A reminder:
Quote from: spoon
If the problem is that you have an unrestricted upload going on in the background you'll still have an issue when you move to FTTC.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Quote from: spoon
Have you done any more to investigate what the uploads are?

There is no more i can do, read the last few pages, i have tried everything there is nothing uploading during the slowdowns.
Anyway engineer's just left, showed up at gone 5PM for an AM appointment, went down to the cabinet and did his stuff came back and connected a dirty old modem as they don't seem to carry them anymore, got no sync, so said he will drop another modem in tomorrow.
Now for the funny bit, i plugged my ADSL router back in for the hell of it and it synced up right away, so looks like the wrong line has been connected in the cabinet...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you installed NetWorx?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

As of 8:30pm I now have no internet at all, ADSL is still in sync but now fails authentication and VDSL still has no sync, this is now the 4th time in 4 months I have been left without internet due to openreach's incapability to do a single job without fucking it up, to say I'm pissed is an understatement.
Now if you could reverse whatever change was made on my account at around 8:30pm so I can at least use the ADSL again it would be a small step to correcting this monumental cockup
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: cedlor
Quote from: nightstalk3r
There was nothing uploading, and if it was being maxed out the upload would be low on the speedtest but it isnt.

Could Windows10 be "phoning home"

Am reviewing this thread, so I might be jumping into the middle of things here.
Not so much as phoning home but possibly serving updates to other computers.  I've just updated to Win10, so I'm still getting up to speed, however under update configuration I noticed an option to get updates from other computers on the LAN and on the Internet.  That somewhat implies some form of P2P file distribution service is hidden in the Win10 update service - there is some possibility that your PC is serving updates to others!  That would explain the very high uploads.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nightstalk3r
Rising Star

I had already turned all that off, and disabled windows update completely.
Anyway i think this thread can be closed now that im up and running on Fibre, if i have any more issues i will open a new thread in the Fibre subforum.
dick:quote