cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed just took a big dump

nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Re: Speed just took a big dump

Right now all i have running is Metal Gear Solid 5 and even that keeps disconnecting from the servers.
Most websites still taking ages to load.
Speedtests still coming back fine though with 16ms ping.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Well right now is the worst my internet has ever been on any provider, you have outdone yourselves tonight plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: nightstalk3r
Right now all i have running is Metal Gear Solid 5 and even that keeps disconnecting from the servers.

Something is using your connection more than just having a game open. I'm concerned that whatever this is may be causing your issues so it'd be really good to track it down.
Yesterday's usage was 25GB, 30GB was used on the 9th.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Well im out of ideas to track it down, when i get these slow downs i have tried everything, turning off wifi and only having 1 device connected via Ethernet, i have tried 3 different PC's connected at separate times to try and rule out an application on one of them using up the bandwidth, i have monitored network usage of the only pc connected to the router as shown a few pages back which shows network usage matching the speedtest's.
I've also tried different routers, adsl cables, the engineer that came out also installed a filtered face plate which has also made no difference to the slowdowns.
I use a lot of data im not denying that, but when the slowdowns occur i have shut everything down to try and resolve it but nothing makes any difference.
cedlor
Grafter

How does your stats for usage compare with the ones Chris has given, (his will be a total up and down I think.)   Stats from router and from task manager, app history.
When it on a go slow anything showing in processes that you dont expect?
Also check here: https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php?&strAction=PERIOD
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If the usage isn't happening during the poor performance periods, then this needs looking at as a fault. Unfortunately the last fault timed out and closed when we requested engineer availability so we'd need a new one raising at https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Fibre has just gone live today, due to all these issues i'v been having with the ADSL is there some kind of deal Plusnet can do for me on Unlimited Fibre Extra, im willing to stick with Plusnet and give them a 2nd chance on Fibre if there is some kind of deal we can make.
cedlor
Grafter

I think the only way to negotiate a deal is to ring here  Customer Options 0800 013 2632  and say you are leaving.
Before you do you need to get into your head what deal you want - what are others offering if you find one you like, ask if they will match it.
One word of caution is that if the problem is in your line between you and the cabinet a move to fibre may not fix it.
I am in that position I have Rein and the "undiscoverable" source is between me and the cabinet and no-one will say categorically if Fibre will help
only option for me would be cable but I do not need the speed and am not prepared to pay.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

I have had routerstats running for about 2 weeks now and there has been no changes whatsoever in my line when the slowdowns happen so im pretty certain its not my line, but then a switch to fibre would also confirm to us if it is my line or not, at least if i switch and it still happens we have narrowed it down to my line.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Sorry to be a pain, but can Chris or someone just check my fibre order has gone through correctly and is on track for next week?
MelRocks
Grafter

Hey nightstalk3r,
I have checked your orders and they are all in place and due to go through this week as discussed previously. So no worries on that front Smiley
I hope this fixes the slowdown issues you've been getting.
Thanks.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Thanks Mel
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When you said
Quote from: nightstalk3r
i don't use P2P during the day, if i need to update any games that use a P2P updater i let them run through the night or when i leave the house.

do you mean that you only kick off updates (or other downloads) at that time or do you do totally stop the P2P process?
I suggest you install NetWorx (free download at the bottom of the page). That will enable you to watch the downloading and upload and confirm whether anything is going on when you see the slow speeds.
If the problem is that you have an unrestricted upload going on in the background you'll still have an issue when you move to FTTC.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Well it's nearly 1pm and the engineer hasn't showed up, i also randomly checked the ADSL checker and for some reason FTTC has disappeared from my line, what the hell is going on?