Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues with Usenet

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Usenet

Strange ain't it? I left Enta a couple of months ago, duo to lots of issues with them (mostly under-capacity for Scotland/NE England after they moved from using centrals) and lack of info coming from them, however their NOC page was usually kept upto date (done by engineers I think rather than salesmen  ;D)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: jelv
How come Entanet are able to post useful BT information when a Plusnet (part of the BT group) has to rely on users posting links to the Entanet site?

To be honest, I don't know how Neil has that level of detail about the incident. Openreach's latest update to communication providers however can be found here.
It's worth considering that we're likely to be affected in slightly differently to most ISPs due to the fact that we've actually lost a pipe of central capacity.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is someone from Plusnet complaining to OpenReach that other providers are getting more information?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Bob actually had posted the link to the Q&A list (the same one from Enta) on the planned maintenance post for the balancing work.
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1239026128.htm
The link to the Q&A is here: http://users.plus.net/QL:163933CB
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ahmahmahm
Grafter

Re: What does this tracert look like to you? Problems with usenet.

Ah OK, Bob, thanks for the reply.  I thought it was some problem affecting broadband users in that geographical area, not the internet proper (if you know what I mean).  OK, I'll sit tight.
thanks, Andy
jim:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've looked on the BTw link and related posts but I cant find the following information that Entanet have posted:
Neil Watson says:
April 7, 2009 at 09:45
We have received the following information from BT this morning.
Latest update based on information available at 23.30, 6 April.
• The recovery work is taking place in 2 stages. We have installed ducting and surface level cables (3 x 276 fibre cables installed, 4 more are being installed) to divert cables away from the damaged area of the tunnel.
• The second stage is to retrieve cables from the tunnel to connect to the newly installed surface cables
• The first 96 x fibre cable has been successfully retrieved and jointed, restoring service to multiple transmission systems. Services to Poplar exchange have started to restore with full restoration expected imminently. This will mean that 999 service has been restored to all PSTN customers with contended access to normal voice service,
• The second 96 x fibre cable retrieval from manhole 144 is progressing slowly due to asbestos and poor air quality. Engineers in breathing apparatus have entered the manhole and are extracting the cable for jointing over ground. This cable will be completed around 05.00. on 7 April.
• Other restoration work using make-good capacity is continuing.
• In total there are 1836 fibres are to be repaired. The first 96 fibres represents 5% of the total.

So where are they getting that from?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Speed issues with Usenet

adie:green I have merged the two threads relating to usenet speeds due to careless workmen into one thread ]
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adagio
Grafter

OldJim has locked my new thread here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75532.0.html supposedly on the basis that this incident is the cause of my woes. If it is then I must have the gift of precognition for I posted my ticket on Tuesday 31st March  Shocked
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not now it isn't  Embarrassed
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: jelv
I've looked on the BTw link and related posts but I cant find the following information that Entanet have posted:

Transpires that our account manager passed that detail onto us this morning. It didn't make its way to me though until mid afternoon.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Confusion appears to reign
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/08/bt_thames_water/
There does seem to be some confusion as to the depth of the tunnel - BT Openreach said the tunnel was 32 metres below street level while Telstra International's statement said it was 34 feet from the surface. Thames Water reckons its tunnel digger was working at ten metres. 34 feet is 10.4 metres. We do hope no-one has got their metric and Imperial measurements mixed up.
itsme
Grafter

Are any BT services buried 32m (104 feet) down? Seem rather deep for a few cables.