cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issue

Surfer
Grafter

Speed issue

I am running XP using Firefox as browser.  Using the BT speed tester I seem to get 5721kbps download and 448kbps upload.  Using www.Mybroadbandspeed.co.uk I get the following rfesults
Yesterday at 1pm dowload speed
1180kbps
1309kbps
1244kbps
Upload speed constant at 374kbps
Today at 10:30am
416kbps
1061kbps
913kbps
Upoad speed
131kbps
374kbps
373kbps
I will be happily loading pages when I get a message "unable to upload page" and on trying IE 8 I get a similar message.  this happesn several or more times a day.  If I click on the message to reload, it normally comes back straight away.
When using Skype a message comes up stating that it cannot support video.  On switching to voice only, voice keeps breaking up.  I have reloaded Skype but it is still the same.  In June / July I had no problems with Skype.
I actually got so desperate that I formatted my hard drive and reloaded everything but it is still the same.  Router is a Belkin 54G and about 6 years old.  BT have been working on our exchange for the past few months .  Seems there is someoen there nealry every day.  the exchange serves a rural area with about 1000 subscribers and we live about 2.5 miles from the exchange.
Never had any problems with speed until recently within the past month. I would really like to get this resolved as use Skype quite a bit to contact relatives overseas.
33 REPLIES 33
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Speed issue

I've had pages timing out all over the place and using MTR to those sites has shown >50% loss within Plusnet's network and pings of over 400ms
Surfer
Grafter

Speed si so bad today that when using BT Speedtester i got the following message;
"The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."
Took ages before this message came up.  Very frustrating and like reverting back to 56k modems!  Using my broadbandspeed shows average of 6mb over three tests, but to load a page seems to take forever.  Any suggestions?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Surfer,
You've been connected for 56 days, so a reboot may help. Let me know how it goes.
Jojo Smiley
Surfer
Grafter

My laptop is switched off every evening at about 6pm and then switched on again at about 7:30am.  Plus when i have been away i have used thre to connect to the Internet.  As stated earlier I reformatted my hard drvie hoping it would resolve the issue, but obviously this has not worked.  My router is security enabled to prevent any one piggy backing on it.  Our mobile phones are not linked to the router for downloads either.  Does this require further investigation?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's a reboot of the router that is being recommended.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Surfer
Grafter

Thanks I realised that afterwards and have rebooted the router.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Has your connection improved?
Surfer
Grafter

I won't really know as I only rebooted last night and have not used it until this morning, but will update you if there is still a problem.
Surfer
Grafter

I have just down a speed test using the BT speed tester and here are the results;
Download speed achieved during the test was - 188 Kbps  for your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:  Your DSL Connection Rate :8096 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps
It seems to be even slower today with web pages hanging before they load.  It is getting very frustrating!  Using mybroadbandspeed I get the following;
Date         Download Speed     Upload Speed
Today 10:18 1747 kbps (218kB/s) 374 kbps (46.8kB/s) Share
Today 10:17 1969 kbps (246kB/s) 374 kbps (46.8kB/s) Share
Today 10:17 1962 kbps (245kB/s) 375 kbps (46.9kB/s)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What does https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate say for your current line speed?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Surfer
Grafter

Estimated line speed:
5Mb (This may vary between 4Mb and 8Mb) - Checked on 2011-02-18 17:00:10
Current line speed:      6.5 Mb
I am not getting anywhere near 6.5 Mb and never have to the best of my knowledge.  Has always averaged at about 4.8 Mb.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Surfer,
I've some line checks on BT systems and I can't see anything obvious that may be causing that. We have the records of your BT speed test so that's a good start for us to try to find out what's going on. Can you raise a fault so I can get our faults team to investigate it for you.
Jojo Smiley
Surfer
Grafter

I have completed the questionair on the link supplied.  I cannot afford to have a spare router or microfilters lying around so i am unable to do those tests.  I think it would be very unfair to charge me.  I have only being experiencing this type fo speed problem over the past month using the same equipment.  We live in a rural area about 2.5 miles from the exchange that serves about 1000 lines.  .In our village there are only about 40 houses.  On checking over the past few days, there are at least 5 wireless operational 24/7.
How would I be able to check without having to buy another router or micrtofilters?
PS I would like to make ti quite clear that as stated earlier, the issue appears to be intermittent.  One minute I have plenty of speed and no issues, then suddenly it will just hang and afer a awhile you get the error message that the page cannot load.  Other times it loads partly and you have to do the reload for the page to load. Funny enough on the reload, most times it will work straight away.  Does this in IE and FF.  Quite annoying when doing Online banking as you get timed out.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Surfer,
as stated earlier, the issue appears to be intermittent

Could it be that your computer is downloading updates or performing some other online actions in the background?
Jojo Smiley