cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed has dropped in last few weeks.

andypowel

Speed has dropped in last few weeks.

Hi,
  My line speed seems to have decreased quite a bit in the last few weeks. I am on an 'Up to 8MB' connection, and my line length to the exchange is 1.01km, my speeds were generally very good, running at about 5-6mbps on Speedtest.net. and getting about 500-800 kbps on Usenet.
However, over the last few weeks, this has consistently dropped to about 2mbps and 250kbps on Usenet, but I am not over my threshold for peak usage (I usually schedule stuff off peak anyway).
Any ideas? I have disconnected my router and re-connected a few times to see if that makes any difference.
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
James
Grafter

Re: Speed has dropped in last few weeks.

Hi Andy,
There's basically a fault with your connection.  Your synchronisation speed ahs dropped to a little above 3Mbps.  As such , BT are profiling your line at 3Mbps.
However, given the distance you are from the exchange, this is way too low.  Can you make sure that you're connecting to your master socket, try using a different filter and/or modem/router and that all of your used telephone sockets have filters on them?
If that doesn't help, we'll need to raise this as a fault to BT.
andypowel

Thanks James, I'll give those a try and post the results.
The router is not plugged into the main socket, but it never has been, so will see if that makes any difference, as well as looking at the micro filters.
Andy
James
Grafter

Thanks Andy.
You'll always get the best results from the master socket, so it's always best to try from there.
andypowel

James,
        I have plugged my router into my main socket with nothing plugged into any other phone sockets whatsoever and get the same result. I have also tried it with different micro filters.
Andy
James
Grafter

Andy,
Is the sync speed the same or are you just talking about your download speeds?
andypowel

Well, I did a speetest thru speedtest.net and one thru the BT speechecker.
Speedtest came out at 2725 and the BT one said..........
DSL connection rate 8128kbps (downstream) 448 kbos (upstream)
IP Profile for your line is 3000 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was 921 kbps
Does that help?
Andy
Denzil
Grafter

The actual download speed doesn't change immediately. The important figure here is the sync rate or connection rate. Your sync rate from the master socket is 8128, which is the fastest possible. It would be a useful test to plug your router back where it was before and look at the new sync rate there.
If the sync rate in the normal location is around 3500 it shows there is a problem with your internal wiring. Replace your extension cable, or, even better, leave the router plugged in to the master socket (with a filter) and run a network cable from the router to your PC.
Also check the sync rate with the router in the master socket and with your phone plugged in. If the sync rate goes down again you may have a faulty filter.
If the sync rate stays at 8128 then the IP profile will catch up over the next couple of days and you will be back to your previous (or better) speeds.
andypowel

Well, after unplugging everything and plugging it all back in again, my speed has gone back up. I had switched my router off a few times in the last few weeks, but I hadn't actually unplugged everything, though I don't see why that would make any difference Undecided
BT Speedtester now say 8128 and IP profile is 7150, with speedtest.net getting 6506, so back to normal it would seem.
Thanks for all your help guys.
Andy
James
Grafter

Nice one Andy Smiley
Looks much better.