cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drops to half, then a modem restart fixes but not for long. Latency plot shows an increase too

h107474
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Speed drops to half, then a modem restart fixes but not for long. Latency plot shows an increase too

A few times now my broadband speed has dropped to half (from ~48Mbps to ~26Mbps). I use a BT Openreach Modem Huawei EchoLife HG612 3b modem and Asus AC68U Router. Restarting only the Openreach modem fixes the speed but after a day or two it drops again.

Interestingly I monitor my broadband using Think Broadband's Quality Monitor and notice the baseline latency plot jumps up when the speed drops and on restart of the modem the latency drops again inline with the speed returning to normal. See attached a plot showing the 17th of January with the higher latency, then a restart regaining the max speed and then another jump in latency accompanying another speed drop. The very high latency parts around the modem restart are me downloading which is why I noticed the speed drop in the first plane.

So is this something happening at the supply end like a resync or my modem developing a fault?

7 REPLIES 7
richi
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Speed drops to half, then a modem restart fixes but not for long. Latency plot shows an increase

It could be either. Possible DLM has decided to intervene because of a new interference source. Or perhaps your old '612 is on its way out.

Do you have another modem you can substitute? If not, you might be able to persuade Plusnet to send you a modern all-in-one router.

h107474
Grafter

Re: Speed drops to half, then a modem restart fixes but not for long. Latency plot shows an increase

I've ordered another HG612 3B from Ebay so that might help troubleshoot the issue.

I have a 'modern' all in one they sent me still in the box (latest HH5 replica). It can't hold a candle to my 2014 Asus RT AC68U router to be fair so I will leave it there for now and unless you can use it as a pass through DSL modem I won't be using it. I researched this and it seem you can't. 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @h107474, I'm sorry that you're having issues. I've tested the line but it isn't highlighting anything that may cause this.

Are you able to connect our router for the time being, just to see if this makes any improvement?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
h107474
Grafter

Hi Lauren

I really appreciate your response on a Sunday and for checking my line! It is likely the old Openreach modem on its way out (had it since my first fiber connection around 8 years ago) so I will await the arrival of a direct replacement mid week to test.

I fully see the logic in testing it by using the supplied Plusnet router but it will be such a headache migrating from my Asus router with Wifi SSIDs, a handful of Fixed IPs for security cameras and printers, a USB HDD media server running from the Asus router and some port forwarding for online gaming. I will just leave it be until I can swap the modem out in a few days. Then I will monitor the situation and see if I need to move to the Plusnet router setup to troubleshoot further.

I will report back later in the week once I have had a couple of days with the new modem. Thanks again for the support.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for letting us know and do give us a shout when you've been able to try out the new modem.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
h107474
Grafter

Good news, the new modem seems to have fixed the problem. There has been no speed drops or ping increases on my ThinkBoradband quality monitor after 48 hours of use.

Some useful links for anyone following this issue and resolution:

Modem replacement (for use with routers without built in modems):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323291968287

ThinkBroadband Quality Monitor:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/broadband-quality-monitor

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Glad to hear that! Thumbs_Up and thanks for posting back.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet