cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropping every night overnight, fine during the day all day.

apolloa
Dabbler

Speed dropping every night overnight, fine during the day all day.

I've raised a ticket, but since the last week or two in November, most nights now after 12 to 1AM my speeds drop. I noticed it first on my PS4 and Call Of Duty BLOPS 3. But other devices seemed alright. My speed tests on my PS4 both wireless and wired via homeplugs went from a steady 11 to 13mbps down and 832kbps up during the day and evening to 1.2mbps to 3mbps down and 160kbps to 340kbps up after midnight.
I have changed my NTE faceplate yesterday too from a pre-filtered SSFP one to an Open Reach VDSL Mark 3 one. Still the same and tonight I tested with my laptop and the Open Reach speed test, all devices are off or on Airplane mode and the speeds are the same on their, now and then the test fine then drop again.
I have got using a CAT 6 ethernet cable from my MacBook Pro into my Home HUB 5 on the BT Wholesale Speed Test :
Down speed of 2.39 mbps
Up speed of 0.29 mbps
Ping of 61.13 ms
I have not tried another router yet but will try to, but as I said during the daytime and morning etc the speeds are fine. I am supposed to be on the Pro add on too so all traffic is prioritised. My pings are high though, I should be on Fastpath, looks like I'm not?
Current sync speeds are from my Home Hub 5: 17.92 down and 1.069 up, IP Profile is 16.19 mbps
????Huh
I mentioned on the support ticket I raised it could be my router? But as said no idea then why in the day and evening it's fine? I know fibre work is going on in the area, and that Open Reach seem to have an obsession currently with maintenance work, could this be causing it?
My slow speeds do seem to tie in with when you are opening the lines for bit torrenting etc which I don't do any off.
14 REPLIES 14
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Speed dropping every night overnight, fine during the day all day.

Hi,
There's a number of potential causes for what you are describing.
Can you please following the detailed instructions in the speed issues thread (see below) and post all of the stats in full?  The detail beyond synch speed are essential to assess what might be happening.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

apolloa
Dabbler

It's congestion or the backbone being hammered in my area when Plusnet open it up to bit torrenting.
Possible fibre works in the area too. Would be nice to have a staff member respond really rather then waiting several days for a tier 1 reply.
I've posted everything in the threads you have linked to, and I have changed the filter and internal house wiring doesn't fail overnight everynight and then work fine during the day every day. We have one empty extension socket. Nothing new in the home.
Also I can't see my SNR values on my hub and have a Mac so the software you linked to won't work.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Plusnet don't open anything up for bit torrenting after midnight. Peak usage of the network is typically between 8pm and 10pm. I think the bandwidth used by people watching videos online is much greater than bittorrent usage these days.
Edit: the graph shows only a portion of Plusnet's total bandwidth.
apolloa
Dabbler

Plusnet policy has been from 12AM to 8AM for the network traffic to be unrestricted so people can download large files and bit torrent etc. It is restricted at other times. Unless they've changed the policy?
My speeds were OK last night but it did this before and then went slow again.
dick:quote
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I think you'll find that the midnight to 8am 'opening up' is more related to paid-for-use accounts being not charged for bandwidth.  Therefore users on such accounts schedule high volume usage to those hours.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

apolloa
Dabbler

Is used to be on all accounts that were ADSL hence my theory about it dragging network speeds down.
dick:quote
apolloa
Dabbler

So a moderator has time to remove quotes, which is an odd rule, yet a staff member can't comment on my fault? Or related support ticket?
Perhaps shouting on twitter would work as it's more public?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Townman
There's a number of potential causes for what you are describing.
Can you please following the detailed instructions in the speed issues thread (see below) and post all of the stats in full?  The detail beyond synch speed are essential to assess what might be happening.

apolloa
Dabbler

And the reason you have repeated yourself is what? I have already posted my replies above, no need to repost them.
It is a bit rude and obnoxious to ignore the answers someone has already provided, unless you can tell me how to extract my router details on a Mac.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

What you've posted has not been ignored, you've not posted the full stats as requested - SNRM, attenuation and error counts are all important contextual information within which to assess reported speed,  it's a bit like saying "I'm traveling at 40mph is my speed good?" without saying what kind of vehicle you are in, the type of road you're on, the weather conditions and the volume of traffic. How does having a Mac stop you posting the stats?  The stats are accessed as a web page. Highlight copy and paste.  Without the requested information, the community is not able to assist you.  If you are saying that your router does not provide that detail, then that's a differnt statement. Do you have the PlusNET supplied router which does supply the stats?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: apolloa
So a moderator has time to remove quotes, which is an odd rule, yet a staff member can't comment on my fault? Or related support ticket?
Perhaps shouting on twitter would work as it's more public?

Moderators are other customers just like us!  I suggest you read the Forum Rules. Your OP was requesting some help and yet having been asked to provide information like stats so members of the community can try and help, you continued to post as though you know everything there is to know about what your problem is even to the point of suggesting that one other member trying to help is obnoxious. So why are you asking for help? There certainly seems to be a few things not looking right with your connection but any analysis is impossible without all the relevant information. If you don't want help from the community, then raise a fault at https://faults.plus.net
apolloa
Dabbler

To be honest I posted on here as others are experiencing the same faults reading their threads, and no one took notice that I had provided the information requested already in my first post, and why I could not post any further information in my other posts.
That it why I claimed it was obnoxious to request the information again when I had already supplied it. But no matter I know what the issue was and it seems fine now, I find the timescale for Plusnet to respond disgraceful however. Another reason why I posted here was to entice some response from a staff member on my fault as they have done for others, but that did not happen, I shall consider leaving Plusnet once fibre is available to me.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: apolloa
To be honest I posted on here as others are experiencing the same faults reading their threads...

And that is the heart of the matter - you think it is the same fault, whereas actually it's the same symptom - time specific perceived slowness.
Time specific slowness has a number of causes, including faulty lines, electrical interference, exchange congestion and in very rare circumstances PlusNET network management.  Finding a resolution for each case requires a structured examination of the actual facts - the simple speed figures you provided do not help the community members to assist you.  What I can tell you though is if the problem is your line or local interference switching to FTTC, no matter who you pay your bill to, is unlikely to fix your issues.
I would not disagree that PlusNET presence around here could be better than it has been of late - only PlusNET staff can look at your line details for you, though that will never be as comprehensive as what you can do for yourself with industry standard IT tools.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

When posting stats, it's always best to do a copy and paste of them, redacting information such as the serial number, username & SSIDs. The layout is then familiar and it gives a more complete picture of how the connection is looking.
I'm fairly sure the HH5s (I don't know if it's an A) don't give any error figures, the B doesn't, and depending on the firmware version SNRMs aren't visible on ADSL connections on the A's it seems. Not helpful to see what may be going on. The other bit of information that can be especially relevant is the uptime which could have been helpful with the stats that were posted. That, and associated information from the user about when a reboot or power off was done will give an indication as to whether the line is dropping.
This doesn't sound like a faulty line issue, I think apolloa seems astute enough to spot that one. Checking the line with the phone doing the Quiet Line Test on 17070 option 2 is always a good idea to see if there is any noise present from a bad connection.
It could be very local REIN which could increase errors significantly to cause a drop in throughput speed, but if the SNRM isn't available, then that won't help. Another modem/router with full stats available would need to be tried. It could of course be local congestion on the exchange where other users that might have unrestricted usage after midnight, then start streaming, downloading or whatever. It's not likely to be any Plusnet network congestion.
But, if it's now all gone away, there's probably little chance of finding out what it was unless apolloa tells us.