cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped to 380kbs

grimples
Grafter

Re: Speed dropped to 380kbs

This is going nowhere, leave it till i upgrade in 2 days.

You say i am already on the 11mb package, does that mean the speeds i am getting now is the max for my area/postcode, could you check please, i'll be phoning in about 3 hours to arrange the coming year line rental saver.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries.

It's actually an up to 17mbps package or average download speed of 10mbps, but your speed estimates are between 2mbps to 6mbps. If you can run a speedest via the link I've provided Here we'll be able to see what speeds you're getting.

If you want to renew your line rental saver you don't need to call in, you can do this online at http://www.plus.net/rentalsaver and if you'd like to upgrade to fibre I'd call us on 0800 013 2632.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
grimples
Grafter

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1537298614106181055

I really need to call in! I went out & came home too late to make the call today.

There is no fibre from the cabinet to my house so it would be quite impossible for you sell me or anyone else in Chopwell fibre BB. When i made the call on 18th Aug the agent said i could get the 11mb package for £5 with the line rental saver, if what he states is true then i am willing to pay the £5 even for a few more MB download speed.

(edit)

I really do appreciate you all for your patience, i know i am hard work & not easy to understand.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Do you mind me asking where you're seeing that fibre isn't available to your cabinet?

From what I can see it should be:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

High Low High Low      
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 67.8 20 19 60.5 Available Available

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@grimples there does seem to be a lot of confusing information on this thread, so it might be worth going back to basics.

All broadband speeds depend on distance - either from the exchange for ADSL or the cabinet for VDSL. ! Due to complaints from people, and OFCOM not understanding this, OFCOM decreed that ISP's had to change the way they describe broadband products from "Up to speeds" to "average speeds"  All this has done is to confuse people even more!

So when you mention 11Mbps package, that is just an average speed for all customers, you will never get that from ADSL unless you move house to closer to the exchange. From what I seem to recall on this thread, you are getting close to what your line can provide.

If you enter your phone number into the DSL Checker, you should be able to see what speeds are available to you.

HTH

OOOPPPS, @Gandalf beat me to the DSL checker check!! 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Gandalf wrote:

It's actually an up to 17mbps package or average download speed of 10mbps, but your speed estimates are between 2mbps to 6mbps.

@grimples,

I really do not know where the agent got the "11mbps" option from.

At present you are on an ADSL2+ service which technically on a short good quality line deliver 24mbps.  To get that though you would need to live very close to the exchange.

Clearly not everyone lives that close and many folk do not understand that you cannot bend the laws of physics - the longer the line, the greater the electrical noise so the signals degrade and therefore the internet speed will be slower.  Therefore these products were "reprofiled" by ASA to be up to 17mbps which is the slowest speed seen by the fastest 10% of the population.

Joe Public still did not comprehend "up to" (they thought they should all get that) and the top 10% was not considered typical.  It is also the synch speed and not the data transfer speed.  So the ASA has another go at interfering and came up with the "typical speed that users might expect when the internet is busy" … again "typical" being some percentage of the population I do not recall.

The 11mbps referenced is a wee bit close to the typical 10mbps now quoted.

I do not see where from / what the "next package up for £5" is.  Accepting that prices to existing users are not the same as those to new users, the Plusnet website is offering FTTC fibre for £4 more than ADSL on an 18 month minimum term contract.

Capture Packages.JPG

@Gandalf has already advised that your line should get an excellent fibre service.  With FTTC the fibre does not come from your cabinet to your home - it uses the same copper pair from the cabinet and fibre from the cabinet to the exchange.

Hey, everyone is trying to help you tonight … @Gandalf and @Mustrum got in whilst I was capturing screen grabs for you.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

grimples
Grafter

I never said there was no fibre to the cabinet, i do know there is fibre to the cabinet because i seen the works & i asked the fella who was doing the work.

What the agent on the phone must have stated was that i could get fibre with the line rental saver plus £5 a month, for some reason i have 11mb in mind, maybe i am mistaken. I have always understood the 'up to' speeds, it was stated to me when i first signed up with PN that my line is between 3mb & 7mb but  my average speed will only be 3mb. I was only getting 350KiB/s for over four year, i never knew faster until something was done by PN about a year ago after a phone call & then i was getting 480KiB/s & was ever so happy with it, torrents were downloading quicker, webpages & pics were loading much much faster, i noticed speed increase immediately. Then a few weeks ago i noticed webpages & pics were taking longer to load, hence this topic, i was expecting the same result, not all this lardedar, it's got me demented. I bet you lot cannot wait to see me gone lol

Gandalf, you have a PM, could you test that for me please before i make the phone call.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It’s not a matter of being rid of you, but one of ensuring that expectations are properly managed. You keep providing nefarious data transfer speed reports and not the router stats as identified in the self help articles you’ve been referred to.

One piece of critical information provided by one of the support guys (which would have been very visible from the router stats) is that the line is running with a SNRM of 9dB.

The question not asked is WHY?

Some long lines simply struggle at the norm of 6dB whilst 3dB is unattainable, but those differences could easily account for the line speed differences being observed. You are on a long line and ADSL is going to be what it is - variable - especially in wet weather. Can that be improved? Well only BTOR boots on the ground can answer that question.

There is no fibre from the cabinet to my house so it would be quite impossible for you sell me or anyone else in Chopwell fibre BB

Impossible to sell FTTP may be, but for FTTC the BT availability checker clearly reports you can get fibre at the highest available speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

grimples
Grafter

This topic is now over, i just got meself fibre BB for a price i can just afford though fella on phone said it wont start for a week.

Again, thankyou you all for your help & patience.

While typing this i got a text from PN stating "Your router is in the post", i told the fella on phone i already have a new router from you, not unless it's a different router.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That all depends on which new router you were sent.  The Plusnet Hub zero only directly supports ADSL.  The Hub One (a variation on BT's Home Hubs) supports both ADSL and VDSL modulation standards.  FTTC uses VDSL.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for upgrading fibre.

While the router we've sent you previously is compatible with fibre, it doesn't contain a fibre modem.

I've checked your order and I can see it's due to complete on the 29th August September. You'll receive an automated email in the early hours of the morning advising that the product change is complete, but I'd expect the engineering work to be carried out during normal business hours.
Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

due to complete on the 29th August

@Gandalf,

Looks like the strain of the billing system is starting to tell on you - surely September?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah I did, my bad Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
grimples
Grafter

9 days! why so long.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

BT order processing time and engineer availability. Further after this bout of windy weather we should expect some MBORC notices which could impact repairs and installations in some areas.