cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped to 380kbs

grimples
Grafter

Re: Speed dropped to 380kbs

No thankyou, you just remade my mind, in 15 days am gone.
grimples
Grafter

What! Why is this marked as fixed, it's not fixed! Please remove it.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@grimples I have removed the fix for you.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @grimples

Thanks for coming back to us and thank you @Strat for removing the fix marker.

@grimples - you will recall that we spoke a few weeks ago regarding the next steps for investigating your loss of speed. At that point in time, you declined the offer of sending an engineer and indicated that you intended to seek out an alternative provider.

Just to reiterate - we are happy to raise this as a fault with the caveat that the visit is likely to be chargeable as no fault is evident at this stage.

Please let us know if you'd like to pursue this route - without allowing us to send an engineer to your premises, I'm not sure how else this thread will ever be marked as 'Fixed'?

Best wishes,

Dave

grimples
Grafter

I get less than £70 a week to live on, i dont have £65 for a call out charge if the engineer finds no fault, i cannot afford to take that risk. I also could not afford to change suppliers, too much of a risk also. I have the money saved & will be renewing the yearly line rental saver & might upgrade to the 11mb package, depends how much it's gonna cost, browsing & youtubing at 380KiB/s is agonising.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

You are already on the up to 11mbps service - the speed you get is governed by the length and quality of your line. You have still not reported the results of a quiet line test. If you do not have one, you need to borrow a phone handset and dial 17079 option 2 to confirm that there is no noise on the line. This is an essential diagnostic tool. I suspect that you have noise on the line which might well not be detected by the line test equipment ... but your ear will.

If your minimum term if your contract is approaching then you should contact COTS immediately to see what new deal you can get to avoid being face with higher costs when the introductory discount ceases.

@staff

Has setting the DS profile to 3dB been tried?

What’s the estimated line length here please? Is the line well balanced?

This line performance suggests it is long possibly rural so fibre is not likely to be brilliant ... is that where the reference to 11mbps came in?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

grimples
Grafter

I thought i was on the 3mb to 7mb & the 11mb package is the next step up. I found a phone in my junk room, i dialed 17079 & i get "The number you have dialed has not been recognised..."
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@grimples

There was a typo in the post on the phone number. The correct details are:

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

That's because it was a typo in Townman's post, the number is 17070.

oops Spendlesstime beat me by a few seconds.Smiley

grimples
Grafter

Yeh, i went back a few posts & found 17070, no noise when i test. There seems to be tests going on now on my line as the phone went dead & my internet went off.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@grimples As @Townman has advised the issues here are due to the physical line rather than any package restrictions

@Townman

The current target is 9db and the line quality is green so we can try a drop to 3db however if the line starts to error then DLM will likely increase it.

With regards to the line length it's currently estimated at 3.5km. I'm not sure where the reference to 11mbps has come from as the estimates for fibre are quite good as shown below

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 67.8 20 19 60.5 Available Available --  
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 62 20 19 51.7 Available Available  

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
grimples
Grafter

Speed has now dropped to 361KiB/s, testing with youtube this time.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm not sure how you'd test your speed with YouTube, but could you run a speed test at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest instead letting us know the results?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
grimples
Grafter

I could BT test till am blue in the face, they dont do anything that my readings from Netmeter do. I will repeat: Netemeter settings have never been changed for years, it has never been updated. For a quite a long time it shows i am getting a steady 480KiB/s then it shows i am getting 380KiB/s then a few days later it shows i am getting 350KiB/s, why would it do this if i have not done any changes to Netmeter or any changes to my browsers or my system, i know of no other way to explain this situation.

Whatever you(or whoever) messing with earlier has decreased my speed again, it's 20KiB/s but it all mounts up.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

The BT Speed test transfers data under full-load, under stress and is the bench mark for profiling speed issues.  It reports mbps (bits) of pure data transfer, with the PC not needing to do anything with the data recieved.

What "netmeter" tool are you using?  https://www.netmeter.co.uk/speed-test/ reports speeds in mbps as well, not the KiBps units you are reporting.

There's a tool called "Net Meter" and others with similar names for Android platforms.

BT line speed tests are the litmus test - what others beside the BT one have you tried?  It is not uncommon for there to be a variation between them, for they each have their own approach to stress loading the connection … which is a passing thought … can you be sure that what is being reported by your "Net Meter" is actually working under full stress load and not simply just going as fast as it needs to … or only as fast as your PC can cope with, concurrently doing file transfer whilst rendering the video content?

Does anyone here have any knowledge of how much "guts" this monitoring tool uses of the PC's resources?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.