Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drop today

Santiago
Grafter

Speed drop today

My speeds are real slow again this morning

Normally I get 2500kbps ish download and 380kbps ish upload.
Any problems in the system or issues today
13 REPLIES 13
James
Grafter

Re: Speed drop today

Hi Santiago,
There's certainly been no issues that I've been made aware of today.  I've checked BTs exchange outages for today and yours doesn't appear to be having any problems.
For me, the fact that your upload speed is so low would raise concerns that the problem would be hardware/line/exchange related.  Could you possibly try using a different microfilter and ensuring that you are connected to your master socket via a filter?  Better still, try using the test socket behind the master socket faceplate.
Please do let me know how you get on.
pcoventry76
Grafter

What gateway are you on?
I was on Juniper 4 after switching from 2 and i get these speeds

Try the above and post back please - i'd like to know the reason too
You can check your gateway  @ http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/ incase you want to try a reboot first
Santiago
Grafter

I am ptn ag2.
I will check out the other stuff and let you know
Thanks
Santiago
Grafter

Just checked speeds again. There has been an increase
Date  Download Speed  Upload Speed 
Today 12:19 1806 kbps (226kB/s) 131 kbps (16.4kB/s)
Today 10:47 444 kbps (55.5kB/s) 48 kbps (6kB/s)
Today 10:14 408 kbps (51kB/s) 35 kbps (4.38kB/s)
I haven't done anything here regarding microfilters or sockets etc.
I don't understand why I am getting these variations on speed
James
Grafter

The upload speeds are still very slow for a MaxDSL connection.
Did you manage to try the filter and master socket tests?
mar7t1n
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The forums see page after page of my Broadband speed has dropped. It's uterrly useless etc, etc.
Nobody understands it. It's a black art. It's a wonder the technology works at all really. Running on wires put in the ground sometimes 20 years ago.
You're not alone. If it does it now and then forget it. That's the way it works. A bus going past could affect it. As can an exceptionally damp day, storms, christmas trees, street lights, vacume cleaners, someone sneezing in the next stree (ok maybe not that sensitive) but you get my point.
If your sync rate is now higher than your BT IP profile then leave it 3 days and it will recover automatically. No point complaining because it would take someone that long to check it out. If your sync rate is consistently low or keeps dropping. Then do all the line and equipment tests endlessly suggested. Because 90% of problems are in your hands. Ie the internal wiring has had it's day or your microfilter is duff, or you got a new toy and forgot to put a microfilter on it. If you voice line is crackly then BT can help maybe. But if you help the wire on it's way to land fill you might get a quicker response from BT.
I do wish BT would set the system to just run at whatever rate you sync at there and then. Save all this business of my rates faulty. Bacuase the old computer trick of turn it off and turn it on again would probably work then. But if you do that on ADSL your likely to find the sync rate gets forced even lower.
Santiago
Grafter

Hi James
I went to try what you suggested with master socket and I realised I have a problem with the line set up here. Embarrassed
The telephone line set up in the house is as it was when I moved in 1993.
The master socket is in the garage  Huh (which I presume is the first socket the BT line goes into).
There are 3 extension lines rigged inside the socket, these go to 3 telephone extension sockets in the house. My router is connected to the upstairs extension socket.
The computers are upstairs in the bedrooms and in the loft. These are all connected to the router by cable. The router is in the loft
I cannot see a test socket in the master socket box.
I have filters on each phone extension but not on the master socket, which does not have phone attached.
The BT line into the house was replaced a few years ago and is comes to junction box in the garage. This connects to the existing cable to the master socket at the other end of the garage.
From the forums I understand this is not how I should be connected, ie router connected directly to the master socket.
I can see a big job looming to sort this out.
Having said all that I have been connected this way sice I went Broadband with Force 9 and although my speeds are not as high as some people get it has been fairly consistent up until now.
Before you ask, yes this was the house that Jack built and I have had similar problem with electrical wiring and plumbing.
Maybe I should connect the router to the hot water tap  Undecided

James
Grafter

Hi Santiago,
Sounds like you have a "old skool" BT master socket which will not have had a test socket.
Can you try attaching a filter to the master socket to see if you notice any difference in the upstream speeds that you are seeing?
I appreciate that the problem may not have existed to this extent previously, but any deterioration in line quality will be enhanced by the fact that there are multiple extensions in place.
Is it a wireless router?  If so, is there any way of your plugging the router into the master socket and then connecting wirelessly and see what sort of speeds that you get?
Santiago
Grafter

Nobody understands it. It's a black art.

It certainly is.
Thanks for your comments which were very helpful
A question though....how would I determine this?
If your sync rate is now higher than your BT IP profile

Thanks
Santiago
Grafter

Hi James
I will have a play around with the router and the master socket.
It is a wireless router and I do use wireless for my laptops.
I had thought about this but the issue is the layout of the house and the quality of the wireless signal.
I will have go though and let you know
Thanks for your help
James
Grafter

Thanks Santiago,
If you can plug your router into the master socket and hard wire the connection between your router and your laptop, it will be even more conclusive as to where the problem may or may not lie.
as mentioned earlier, I'm fairly certain that the problem you are having is down to your upstream speeds rather than anything profile related.
mar7t1n
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Seems like you've found the problem. Solving it might be an issue, or at least a pain putting in new wiring.
You must filter everything. But if you have just ordinary phones and they don't ring very often when you're using BB then you actually won't notice an issue. You can plug your router directly into the phone socket and it'll work just fine. It's when you have voice and data on the same line at the same time that you start getting problems.
So disconnect everything, unwire the extensions and put the router into the master socket. You can check your line stats by looking at the router status, so it doesn't matter if it's wireless. Then start connecting things and move your router back.
If you find a big difference in stats then you are best to rewire your house. Get some decent quality solid Cat5 UTP cable. Some shops sell broadband phone lines but computer patch cabling works as well. It's expensive but worth it. UTP is Unshealded Twisted Pair. The twist is what helps cut out interferance. The exchange to the home is all twisted pair, but cheap internal phone wire is flat so is subject to interferance. It's also made of thin fibers of copper which simply break. So hence why solid copper it much better. Once in the home where you run wireless routers, cordless phones, washing machine, Hi-Fi's, computers, christmas tree lights and all sorts of EMF leaky devises it's no wonder it doesn't work. The signal is at it's lowest strength at the end of the line so you need the best quality cable, just where people try and skimp and use what was fine for a phone in a bedroom put in 20 years ago.
I know you probably don't want to do it, but rip it out and do it properly if you want a stable, fast broadband line. Or of course just go wireless 100% with coredless phones and router. You can perhaps pop the router into the roof from it's normal cable or least mount it up on the ceailng to keep it safe, dry and to provide best reception.
Hope that helps.....
Santiago
Grafter

mar7t1n
Thank you for your post. I appreciate your help and advice
I will test out the router in the master socket over the weekend.
This shows how my speed has come up during the week. It is almost "normal"
Date  Download Speed  Upload Speed 
Today 19:50 2335 kbps (292kB/s) 366 kbps (45.8kB/s)
Today 10:26 2372 kbps (297kB/s) 375 kbps (46.9kB/s)
Tuesday 20:12 1733 kbps (217kB/s) 271 kbps (33.9kB/s)
Tuesday 19:19 1956 kbps (245kB/s) 307 kbps (38.4kB/s)
Tuesday 19:14 1210 kbps (151kB/s) 227 kbps (28.4kB/s)
Tuesday 19:05 953 kbps (119kB/s) 181 kbps (22.6kB/s)
It will be interesting to check the speeds when the router is direct into the master socket.
Regards