cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed down and noisy line when router connected

welshviking
Grafter

Speed down and noisy line when router connected

Right had a noisy phone line for the last couple of weeks, went so bad struggled to hear incoming calls. I phoned Bt and they did a test on my line and said all was well, the Bt guy then asked me to unplug my router while i was chatting to him and the noise stopped immediately, also have noticed that my speed has dropped to at least 50% from where it usually is. I have just changed my modem back to my old Thomson to see if that helps and the line is a lot clearer but still not perfect and my speed it still well down on normal .....Regards Colin
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1628 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4864 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1750 Kbps

Telephone number:
    012****************
    CONNAHS QUAY
Estimated line speed:
    4.0 - Checked on 2009-04-04 17:29:32
Current line speed:
73 REPLIES 73
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Speed down and noisy line when router connected

Your DSL Connection Rate :4864 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1750 Kbps

It's those 2 lines that are the important ones. Assuming the noise is gone for good (did you also replace the filter?), the IP Profile shown should increase to 4000 if your router stays connected at 4864 for 72 hours.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
welshviking
Grafter

Cheers Chris, Forgot to add had a few experiences lately of losing my connection lately so that's another reason i have changed back to my Thomson router from the netgear one. The line noise has not totally gone but it is a lot better, if i knew how to totally get rid of it i will do it, maybe you may have an idea how to totally stop it. I am not using a standard filter as i am using a adsl nation professional faceplate as you guys recommended......Regards Colin
p.s Could there be a chance i have developed a faulty faceplate ?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

A faulty faceplate is a possibility in the same way that a filter can develop a fault. One way to check that is to remove the faceplate and connect via a filter into the test socket.
However it's best to avoid doing this sort of test at night when noise levels are higher, and lower sync speeds are likely to result.
David
welshviking
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestion, just did as you recommended but the noise is still on the line, its no where near as bad as it was earlier today so hopefully we are heading in the right direction....Cheers Colin
dick:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Though you've tried two routers I think trying a third would be useful (if you can borrow one - probably syncing with the exchange is sufficient, needn't be configured to connect), and probably another filter into the test socket too. It looks like the problem is likely to be external to your premises, but finding it isn't could be expensive.
Since the problem doesn't appear to be an isolated voice fault raising a broadband speed fault via the Help Assistant wizard could be the way forward.
David
exporters
Grafter

Welshviking, I'll throw my pennyworth in from recent experiences. 
I had a noisy BT voice line & BT claimed there was nothing wrong; I've also had to dispose of two [what I thought were good routers - Belkin & Thomson] and replaced with a replacement Thomson. So, with PN help my system is proving stable - for how long, no idea!.  Spraxyt has a point though.
On the noisy line, I fitted a ADSL Nation faceplate XTE-2005 and that fixed it for us; I've now tried from the same company, a XF-1e Professional ADSL Microfilter & that too is working well.  OK they are different products, suffice to say that noisy lines and disconnections seem to be in control.  For me, anything was worth a try & hope you succeed.
welshviking
Grafter

Have had problems with serious loss of connection today but have noticed from the router-stats graph what the problem may be. When i make or receive a phone call i lose connection (see graph....especially on the call i received just after 22.10pm ) has anyone please got any ideas what i need to do to sort this problem out . The phone is a Wharfedale cordless phone with the base station plugged into the same adsl filtered faceplate as the router....Regards Colin
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Are there any other extensions? If so, some filtered face plates have connectors for both filtered and unfiltered extension wiring, if yours has both you need to make sure the extensions are connected to the correct ones.
Another test: unplug ALL phones, Sky boxes etc to leave just the router plugged in. Now ring your phone number using a mobile and watch the noise margin. If that shows similar problems plug the router in to the test socket using a normal filter and repeat the test. If that shows problems you have a line fault.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
welshviking
Grafter

Thanks Jelv, I have 2 extensions (1 to the garage and 1 to the rest of the house) and they are both connected at the rear of the filtered plate as suggested by you guys on here a couple of months ago so i could get rid of all my filters. As for this (some filtered face plates have connectors for both filtered and unfiltered extension wiring) i am not too sure which faceplate it is all i can tell you its the xte faceplate. I will unplug all the phones later and try the test you suggested...Regards Colin
dick:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero

From the installation guide for the XTE2005 for example:
Making the connections
The XTE-2005 has 6 IDC terminals marked B,A,5,4,3,2. Use an IDC tool to insert (punch) extension wires into the terminals. To connect your existing voice extensions connect the wires to the numbered terminals in the same order as removed from the original faceplate. The extensions connected to the numbered terminals can be used for voice only as the ADSL signal has been filtered out.
If you would like to extend the unfilterd ADSL signal use the terminals labelled B & A. Standard wiring colours and number to letter conversion information is shown in the chart overleaf.

If this is the faceplate you have and you haven't used B & A you are OK.
welshviking
Grafter

I have done as you asked and put a photo on here of my noise margin, the red disconnection was a phone call before i disconnected all the phones from the sockets, the blue drop out was i think the phone call i made which had no phones connected at all so i could hear the ringing tone on my mobile until it went into bt answer so i talked into the voicemail for a minute or so. Also i have put a photo of the rear of my faceplate (sorry for blurred photo)....Cheers Colin

SORRY MY SPEED IS NOW THAT SLOW WILL NOT LET ME DOWNLOAD PHOTO OF FACEPLATE ON HERE
welshviking
Grafter

i am using numbers 2 and 5 for my extensions on the bottom of the connections marked up as phone.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Good
Can you now try with an ordinary filter in the test socket and no phone attached then try ringing your number. There's no need to wait until BT answer kicks in - if just an incoming call causes a wobble on the noise margin your line is faulty.
welshviking
Grafter

Thanks for all your help Jelv, Just put a normal filter into the test socket and rang my home phone 3 times from my mobile @ 14.00pm...will put the graph on here when it updates....obviously it looks likes it has dropped out but that is only when i disconnected the faceplate and reconnected the router using the test socket