cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed down 75% & no dial tone - can't get hold of support - HELP!

paulh
Rising Star

Speed down 75% & no dial tone - can't get hold of support - HELP!

My broadband speeds have been down from around 18Mbs to ~4Mbs for the past fortnight.

I also thought my phone handset was broken as I wasn't getting a dialtone, so just plugged in  a new one - nope, still no dialtone.

So it looks like I'm paying for a non-existent phone service and have been doing so possibly  for some time. I have no idea how many calls I might have missed.

And my speed is incredibly poor too of course. 

I just rang CS to report faults and the wait time is 35 minutes, while the chat line is unavailable at the moment.

HELP

17 REPLIES 17
paulh
Rising Star

Re: Speed down 75% & no dial tone - can't get hold of support - HELP!

Oh and I've tried both the broadband and phone troubleshooters.

The former tells me to use the latter (because no dial tone) and the latter cuts off the session because (presumably) the line gets reset during the procedure & all I get is "

Oops, something seems to have gone wrong

It looks like something has gone wrong. Our award-winning support team are here to help."

Except I can't contact them ... 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

This is a symptom of a break in one of the pair of phone lines. Assuming your phone is with Plusnet you could try this to see if it automatically logs a fault.  https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/How-report-a-line-fault/m-p/1384090#M22368

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,

Sorry you're having issues with your connection and phone. Your phone fault report has come through to us and can be seen here.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I've checked the fault report with our suppliers and I can see we've been advised of an estimated response time of by 14/11/18 23:59:59 for an engineer to go out and investigate the fault further.

Our faults team will aim to update you within 24-72 hours of this date, but if you need anything chasing up or have any further queries please feel free to post back.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
paulh
Rising Star

Thanks all.

I managed to get through on chat in the meantime & a helpful CS let me know all the above.

I even managed to track down where Plusnet keeps my questions on the portal Smiley

As for disconnected wires ... I might be having a quiet word in the ear of the builders who were here a couple of weeks ago if that's confirmed as the problem ... 

paulh
Rising Star

OK I got a bunch of texts from OR yesterday afternoon telling me an engineer was working on the problem, but I still have poor speed and no dialtone, and the ticket hasn't been updated to show what what he found or what's going to happen next.

Can you check it out for me?

thanks 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @paulh,

I'm sorry that you've not received an update on the fault.

I've checked and our suppliers have advised that they have investigated externally but have been unable to find the cause of the fault. They now wish to arrange for an engineer to visit your property so that this may be investigated further.

Please can you reply to the ticket here with your availability for an engineer visit? If you drop us another message on here once you've done this, we'll get the appointment booked in for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
paulh
Rising Star

thanks Emily.

I've replied to the ticket, but I won't give details here.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @paulh,

Thanks for updating the ticket. Once you have made a further decision then please let us know so that we can review this matter further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
paulh
Rising Star

Gah!

This is a tangle because the problem appears to have been caused by building work, which wasn't ordered by me but my landlord, so I have to get someone to accept responsibility before I can say "go" on a BT OR visit.

SO - further question (I've also updated the ticket btw with the same question for belt'n'braces) - if a charge from OR applies, is that simply a callout charge, or does it include rectification of any fault found?

thanks 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @paulh,

I've updated the ticket on your account answering your query over the engineer charge. This can be viewed here.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
paulh
Rising Star

Unfortunately, though a comprehensive answer, it is not an answer to the question I asked.

To repeat:  if a charge from OR applies, is that simply a callout charge, or does it include rectification of any fault found?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @paulh,

My apologies - I misread the question. I've updated the ticket again which can be viewed here.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
paulh
Rising Star

Thanks Alex, I've replied with timeslots I'm available so look forward to getting this sorted out.

Smiley