cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed confusion

bullock10

Speed confusion

Hi all,
I just wondered if someone could clear up a few issues im having. I joined plusnet on the 31/12/09 so only a few days ago. the first time i connected up i ran a speed test and got a 9mbps connections. Since then ive been getting under 1mbps normally around 800 - 900 kbps. I read that in the first 10 days your speed will fluxuate so is this drop normal? am i to expect under 1mbps as my speed?
I ran the btspeedtest and got the below results which seems to show im getting my IP Profile but it shows my DSL connection rate at 9mbps which is what i got orginally.
on top of all this i can connect using VPN and my USENET seems to be blocked after 12am - im on the plusnet premium, can anyone clear up whats going on? 

Download speedachieved during the test was - 814 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 200-1000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :9725 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 443 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1130 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 17.57:19.53:62.9 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
9 REPLIES 9
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Speed confusion

welcome to the Forums, that speed check indicates you are on ADSL2
Not my province yet
grahamt
Rising Star

Yes - welcome. The forums are one of the best things about Plusnet, and there are lots of people around (both other users and Plusnet staff) who can and do provide lots of help.
Typically, with a query like yours, you'll first be asked to provide some info from your router stats. If you can tell everyone what your attenuation figure is along with your downstream noise margin (SNR) we'll have a better idea of what your line is capable of. If you don't know how to get these figures, just say what make and model of router you have and someone will tell you how to find the stats.
Your line speed is limited by: a) your sync speed, which was 9725 at the time of your message; b) your BT IP profile, which was a very low 1130 when you did your speedtest but which should be 8000 if your line were stable at that sync speed; and c) your Plusnet IP profile, which usually follows BT's with a lag of a few hours but which on rare occasions gets stuck. Your throughput won't be faster than the lowest of these three figures.
You can see your Plusnet IP profile via the Member Centre Control Panel, Connection Settings, High-Speed Broadband. The figure you're looking for is the 'Line speed'. It's not worth reporting it as stuck, though, until it's been different from the BT profile for a full day.
Having said all that, the best thing to do at the moment, probably, is to be patient. You will get fluctuating speeds at first (and if you read other threads in this forum you'll see that they don't always stop after 10 days - BT's 'dynamic line management' software, usually known as DLM, is to say the least temperamental). Your drop from 9mb/s to 1mb/s does look extreme, but it might just be a very temporary blip.
So see if things change over the next few days, and post your router stats if you can. If you want to get into the details of how ADSL (and ADSL2+) works, this page is a good place to start:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/
and jameseh's 'ADSL2+ is live' message at the top of this forum is also very useful.
Graham
[Edit] ps. Usenet should not be blocked after 12 noon, but it will be very slow between noon and 10pm. To see Plusnet's 'traffic shaping' restrictions, go to this page: http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm and select 'Premium'.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just to add -
Assuming that when you refer to 12.00 am you mean midnight then the probable reason is that is when a lot of people schedule P2P and Usenet to start as it is the beginning of the free period. This may be what you are seeing.
Regarding the ipProfile - assuming the BT systems haven't screwed up - there must have been a low speed sync I hope that you didn't plug in an unfiltered device (phone, Sky box etc.) which would have had that effect.
The ipProfile is out of Plusnet's control you can only wait for a couple of days or so for it to sort itself out.
As you have been connected on ADSL2+ I believe that this triggers a new 10 day training period even if you migrated from another supplier and as such BT won't accept a fault report until the 10 days are up.
bullock10

here the stats from my router, it does sound as though i need to just wait for it to level out. Does anyone have any idea why my VPN would be blocked?
BusyBox v1.00 (2006.09.20-01:51+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
# adslctl info --stats
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Status: Showtime  Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 443 Kbps, Downstream rate = 972
5 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode:                  ADSL2
Channel:                Fast
Trellis:                ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):      8.4            33.6
Attn(dB):      16.0            7.5
Pwr(dBm):      0.0            11.6
Max(Kbps):      10480          1140
Rate (Kbps):    9725            443
                        G.dmt framing
K:              255(0)          14
R:              0              0
S:              1              1
😧              1              1
                        ADSL2 framing
MSGc:          71              12
B:              254            13
M:              1              1
T:              1              4
R:              0              0
S:              0.8357          0.9911
L:              2441            113
😧              1              1
                        Counters
SF:            11994          11992
SFErr:          2              0
RS:            0              0
RSCorr:        0              0
RSUnCorr:      0              0
HEC:            1              0
OCD:            0              0
LCD:            0              0
Total Cells:    4430804        93854
Data Cells:    43309          12955
Drop Cells:    0
Bit Errors:    0              0
ES:            2              0
SES:            0              0
UAS:            29              0
Total time = 49710 days 6 hours 27 min 14 sec
SF  = 11994
CRC = 2
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 2
Latest 1 day time = 49710 days 6 hours 27 min 14 sec
SF  = 11994
CRC = 2
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 2
Latest 15 minutes time = 49710 days 6 hours 27 min 14 sec
SF  = 11994
CRC = 2
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 2
Previous 15 minutes time = 0 sec
SF  = 0
CRC = 0
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 0
Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
SF  = 0
CRC = 0
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 0
#
#
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I don't know if it is an ADSL2+ foible but I can't see any reason why the upstream speed isn't 448kbps
bullock10

Hi guys,
i just ran another speed test today and got this, it looks like my IP profile has changed to 9meg but my plusnet  one is stuck at 1meg. will this update or do i need to ask for it to be changed?
Download speedachieved during the test was - 775 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-99999 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :9725 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 443 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 9040 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 28.9:24.39:46.71 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It can take up to 12 hours for the Plusnet speed to catch up with IP Profile changes. If it goes longer than that you need to contact them.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
grahamt
Rising Star

If you do need to ask for your Plusnet IP profile to be changed (and, as jelv says, mostly it happens automatically after a delay of up to 12 hours), a short message to the 'Plusnet IP profiles that are stuck' thread in this forum usually does the trick. Plusnet staff monitor it.
Your downstream attenuation rate is pretty low (which is good). It may be possible to achieve even faster speeds than 9000-ish. But that depends on other factors such as the state of your wiring at home.
Graham
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bullock10,
It looks like this has been updated for you now, sorry for the delay. Please let us know if there's anything else we can help with.