cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed being confusing

MegaPixelMan
Grafter

Speed being confusing

For the last week we've been experiencing a series of issues with our connection.
First let me just say, when our net was installed + activated, we was expecting "between 6mbps to 19mbps".
At first we was getting between 11-13mbps. Which was fantastic.
But for the past week (or longer) we've been getting cut off randomly for no reason. And most speed tests I run are showing we are only hitting about 10% of our estimated average speed, 1-2mbps download and 0.6 upload.
After being advised to do the speed test on http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/, that is apparently saying we are getting 11.88mbps download and 0.83 upload.
Which just doesn't sound right as both my girlfriend and I are experiencing very low speeds or just no connection.
We have not changed anything since setting up the internet as it was working fantastic until now.

Update
Speed test done on http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
Download = 3.74mbps
Upload = 0.666mbps
Speed test done on http://www.speedtest.net/
Download = 2.23mbps
Upload = 0.72mbps
Speed test done on http://www.broadbandspeedtest.co.uk/
Download = 4.153mbps
Upload = 0.603mbps
18 REPLIES 18
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Speed being confusing

Are you testing using wireless?
If so, can you try with an ethernet connection?
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

The first test that showed 11.88mbps was done via ethernet as the instructions required.
The others were done using wireless.
We never had any issues with wireless until the past week or so. When it was first set up even doing those tests using wireless showed far greater speeds than we are getting right now.
dick:quote
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi GameGenieBob,
Can you PM me your username and I can take a look at your line for you?
It does sound about right that if you get 11Mbps download when you're connected via Ethernet then you could see a drop down to 3-4Mbps via wireless. You can get quite a lot of speed loss on wireless and it's to be expected. Have you tried changing wireless channels to see if you can get any improvement on this?
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

PM sent.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks GameGenieBob,
I've had a look for you and can see that your line is erroring quiet frequently which can have an impact on the download and upstream speeds that you experience. It may worth a try turning interleaving on to try and reduce the error count on the line which may be causing the issue. If this has an adverse effect then we can always turn it off within 24 hours. Let us know what you would like us to do Smiley
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

If it helps then I'd like to try anything I can.
Is this something you can do for me or do I have to do it manually?
Also is there any help you can give regarding what I mentioned in my PM. About getting my router moved so we can use ethernet on our consoles?
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've performed the SNR reset and turned interleaving on. Please monitor your speeds for the next 48 hours to see if this improves things at all. If after 48 hours nothing has improved we will have to investigate further.
The only thing I would suggest to look into are homeplugs and normally you wouldn't experience any speed loss from these. Short of moving your master socket there isn't much I can recommend with regards to moving your router without any speed loss so that you can connect your consoles via Ethernet. I'm assuming that running an extension cable is out of the question?
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

Should I continue to run those wireless speed tests as I mentioned in my original post?
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

It is NOT the norm to see a huge drop in speed wirelessly vs ethernet (unless you have a c**p router!) -I get ~ 16Mbps wirelessly or via ethernet or Homeplug in most of the rooms in my house -the lowest speed I get wirelessly is ~ 13Mbps in the conservatory. Wink
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

Quote from: davidj60
It is NOT the norm to see a huge drop in speed wirelessly vs ethernet (unless you have a c**p router!) -I get ~ 16Mbps wirelessly or via ethernet or Homeplug in most of the rooms in my house -the lowest speed I get wirelessly is ~ 13Mbps in the conservatory. Wink

What exactly are Homeplugs and how exactly can I benefit from them?
gnicholson8
Grafter

home plugs are these.

Two adapters, that fit on your plug socket, you plug one next to the router and run Ethernet cable into it. another near the computer and run Ethernet from the computer to the socket. It uses your current power socket cabling to create a home wired network. Very useful for low speed transfers (ie 100 mbps bellow and would be perfect in your situation.
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

Oh that sounds like a good idea. I'll look into that if I run into any more issues. Thank you.
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

Little update
Moved router into the living room Smiley
Run the same 3 speed tests as my first post.
1st - 11.7 down and 0.34 up
2nd - 11.1 down and 0.64 up
3rd - 9.9 down and 0.5 up
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

Day 2 of monitoring.
Again using the same speed tests as above.
1st - 12.30 down and 0.594 up
2nd - 11.33 down and 0.62 up
3rd - 9.640 down and 0.540