cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed and reliability degrading over time

foxboom
Dabbler

Speed and reliability degrading over time

I've been a really, REALLY happy customer for a long time, but my broadband performance has been dragging a bit over the last few months, and I don't know what to do about it.
Back when I was really happy, I'd be getting around 18-19 MB/s downloads, which is brilliant. Smiley
A couple of months ago, I started getting problems with YouTube and iPlayer videos stalling and buffering.  I upgraded to the Pro add on, and it had an immediate positive effect, and I was happy again. Smiley
But over the last few nights, videos have started stalling and buffering again, and it's really annoying.  I just ran the BT Speedtest tool, and I'm down to 11MB/s.  But still, shouldn't that be enough to stream videos?
BTW, I've tried multiple devices on my network and they all get the same, wired and wireless.
I'm also getting really wound up about having to reboot my router so often.  Sometimes it feels like it's once a fortnight, and sometimes more often.  The problems start with the web crawling slower and slower and slower, then I get the router's own "connection unavailable" page.  I shut it down for a few minutes then try again, and usually it just takes that one restart.
The stats on my modem (it's a Plusnet Thomson one) are:
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 21,931
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.0 / 11.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 33.0 / 4.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 98
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 75
I've been wondering if buying a new modem would help, but I'm due to get FTTC in my area later this year, so maybe I'll hold off until then.
Is there anything I can do to improve my line's performance back to how it was?  Video streaming is the big thing for me. Smiley  Thank you! Smiley
1 REPLY 1
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speed and reliability degrading over time

Hi there,
There are one or two disconnections showing but by the look of them the state of the line is nothing to worry about. How often does it seem to be happening from your side of things?
The router is over 2 years old now so may be playing up a bit, I'd recommend trying a factory reset and if that makes no change testing an alternative (if you can) or if not trying your own router on another line to see if the same happens - if so, it'd be the router.
Hope that helps.