cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Thread (Before and after transfer speed comparisons)

Beckman
Dabbler

Re: Speed Thread (Before and after transfer speed comparisons)

Day 3

Seems the download speed has dropped today  Sad  router log shows no loss of sync though and the upload is still good  Smiley
Perhaps an interesting fact but I'm not sure if it means anything....
Fast Path CRC Error - Near End Indicator = 0 - Far End Indicator = 3631

BT Test Result
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 17645 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  1104 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 15000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4453 kbps

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

What is the current line speed reported  in your Member Centre High Speed Broadband settings? This should mirror your IP Profile and I suspect it might well be unchanged from prior to migration to 21CN. It should be 15000 for the sync speed you reported.
At the moment the CSC have to set 21CN values manually because the BT reports come through in a different format from ADSL Max.. That might need to be done for you.
David
StevenP
Dabbler

In relation to what spraxyt has posted, I think I'm in the same boat. regarding PN not updating the profile on their side.
This the how the modem's been syncing for the last few days:
DownStream Connection Speed 15323 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1085 kbps
Max speeds I get from the speed test are around 8000 kps which makes sense as that's what'sreported in the High Speed Broadband section of the member centre. BT speed test reports:
Your DSL connection rate: 15320 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  1084 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 13000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6448 kbps
So am I right in thinking 13000 should be reported in the  High Speed Broadband section of the member centre?
Ta, Steven
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Yes, the profile for a sync at 15320kbps is 13000kbps and the value in High Speed Broadband needs manually setting to that.
I suggest giving the CSC a ring to ask them to change it (mention you are on the 21CN trial) then disconnect/reconnect afterwards to pick it up.
David
jmd
Grafter

My downstream speed now seems to have settled at 1776 to 1850 according to time of day.  Was hoping change of router would help but since D Link won't connect at all am still using Belkin.  Before 21CN trial I had about 900 for downstream so no wonderful but better!
Chris1
Grafter

I have seen a significant improvement on my upload speed but downloading is exactly the same as before the upgrade.
I have checked several times over the last week or so and the download times seem pretty consistent though the Upload speeds have improved from an initial 755kbps.
Disappointing as far as the download speeds go but at least I have gained something out of it.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: jmdlp
Was hoping change of router would help but since D Link won't connect at all am still using Belkin.

Does the D-Link router sync with the exchange (DSL green light on and steady)? If it does are you sure your broadband username is entered correctly. Assuming you are with Plusnet this will be username@plusdsl.net and password the same as for the Member Centre.
The other parameters are VPI=0, VCI=38, Connection Type=PPPoA VC-Mux.
David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: Chris
I have seen a significant improvement on my upload speed but downloading is exactly the same as before the upgrade.

What are the sync speeds, attenuations and noise margins reported by your router? And what is the Current line speed reported on the Member Centre High-speed Broadband page? It's possible the latter value needs to be changed manually by the CSC.
David
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Quote from: jmdlp
Was hoping change of router would help but since D Link won't connect at all am still using Belkin.

Does the D-Link router sync with the exchange (DSL green light on and steady)? The other parameters are VPI=0, VCI=38, Connection Type=PPPoA VC-Mux.

No the DSL light continues to flicker - went through process over phone with Jamesh as well as using instructions!  Also internet light fails to come on.
So as I said will continue with Belkin.
James
Grafter

@ Beckman
I've changed your profile to 15000Kbps.
If you try rebooting your router, you should start to see improved speeds.
James
Grafter

@ StevenP
I've changed yours to 13000Kbps.
James
Grafter

@ Josie
I'll try and get you another router sorted out today.
Beckman
Dabbler

Quote from: spraxyt
What is the current line speed reported  in your Member Centre High Speed Broadband settings? This should mirror your IP Profile and I suspect it might well be unchanged from prior to migration to 21CN. It should be 15000 for the sync speed you reported.
At the moment the CSC have to set 21CN values manually because the BT reports come through in a different format from ADSL Max.. That might need to be done for you.

I believe this to be already set my Member Centre Settings shows...
Estimated line speed:
Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
This used to be 8000 just before the transfer (see Reply #136 on 21/01/2009, 14:42 ) as to if it was actually changed when the transfer went through as part of the process, I don't know. Would it not make sense to do a review of the 'Current Line Speed' profile for customers and set this correctly as part of the migration process, or is this already done ?
Regards
Phill
James
Grafter

Phil,
As per reply 159, I changed your profile at our end this morning to match BTs.
Beckman
Dabbler

Thanks Jameseh I missed that one Doh !
I'll post a speed check and router stats a bit later