cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Thread (Before and after transfer speed comparisons)

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Speed Thread (Before and after transfer speed comparisons)

did he?
Can the support guys find out what my current profile actually is and what the default will be when I get switched over ?.  I've tried the BT speed test site and get the same problem that others are experiencing i.e.
Beckman
Dabbler

Hi guys thanks for the input
https://portal.plus.net/m...ction=data_transfer_speed
Gives me this....
Estimated line speed:
Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
and
http://dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed2.php .....(see screenshot)

Now some time in the dim and distance past I used to get the 8Mb/s sync speed when MAXDSL first came out but a year or so after, my modem blew up and I started to get lots of sync loss problems with the replacement.  If I remember arightly they interleaved it and capped my profile at around 4Mb/s something to do with the fact that rate adaptive settings weren't available for LLU between 4 and 8 meg profiles (I forget the full explaination), and I think the 8000 line speed test result came from then.  The loss of speed was disappointing but not insufferable as I'm only a light user upload speed was unaffected and that's more important to me for working from home purposes.
I was actually trying to figure out what speed my line could reasonably be thought to be capable of, and the guesstimates from the Kitz and DSL ZoneUK would seem to suggest somewhere between 12 to 18 Mb/s a  3 fold + increase would be great :-).  Will just have to wait and see.
Regards
Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My router on sync at 18272 / 888
speed test at adsl guide is
Speed Test Results
Date 21/01/09 16:19:46
Speed Down 6115.35 Kbps ( 6 Mbps )
Speed Up 745.92 Kbps ( 0.7 Mbps )
Port 8095
Server speedtest1.adslguide.org.uk
the Plusnet stable rate page show my line speed at 7150
How do  I improve the download speed?
James
Grafter

Hi Dev,
I've just amended your profiling at our end.
Dev
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Dev,
I've just amended your profiling at our end.

Thanks, profile now shows 16000
godsell4
Rising Star

If 21CN is truly an entirely IP based network, surely this 'profile' business is nonsense.
Would be interesting to know what happens if PN just set all those on 21CN to 24Mb and left it alone.
Comments from PN?
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
James
Grafter

I believe it would result in a fair amount of packet loss.
I'll ask Dave.  He's clever Cheesy
Dev
Rising Star

I' got a call this morning from CS claiming  I owed £35 for a cessation charge since I've migrated out. As far as I'm aware I'm still with PN, all that happened is I've been passed on to the ADSL2+ trials. The following ticket was raised on my questions.
---------
Customer migrated out on 21/01/2009.
No additional CBC Usage Charges were found on the account.
Other charges remaining on the account:
- Cessation Charge : £20.00
--------------------------------------------------------
Anyone knows what is happening here?
My IP is 16000, router is on sync at 18272/ 888 and latest BTspeedtest shows 13.76Mbps / 740
James
Grafter

Yep, please ignore those charges.
BTs systems show the migration to the 21CN platform as a cease.
We won't be charging you those!
Dev
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh
Yep, please ignore those charges.
BTs systems show the migration to the 21CN platform as a cease.
We won't be charging you those!

Thanks James..had me worried there for a moment, I hope CS is aware of the trials. Smiley
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Quote from: godsell4

If 21CN is truly an entirely IP based network, surely this 'profile' business is nonsense.
Would be interesting to know what happens if PN just set all those on 21CN to 24Mb and left it alone.

There's a bit of theory and a bit of practical here. By having the profile on our side of the network to match BT's we can control how much data is sent to a customer rather than relying on the bRAS profile BT side to police it. For example, imagine if you have a 4Mbps profile BT side but a 24Mbps profile our side and someone DDoS'd your connection. We'd allow 24Mbps of data through to you and you'd see 20Mbps of packet loss at the exchange.
That's a big waste of 20Mbps going from us to BT (which would require 20Mbps of capacity to deliver which might mean that the other customers get squeezed to be able to deliver it). By rate setting the rate limit at 4Mbps our side we'd discard the extra 20Mbps on our side of the network so the effect of the DDoS on other customers would be minimised as there's no extra traffic on the host link.
We tried this out when we had our first two staff members on, we set the profile to 24Mbps our side and DDoS'd him with titanium traffic. That filled the host link and the other staff member had no bandwidth to use during the DDoS.
The second part is that if we set the profile on our side just slightly lower than the bRAS (a few bits) then we retain the QoS on the traffic under normal circumstances. If you start a download and it starts coming down at a  slightly higher than your bRAS profile but we didn't set a profile then you run a danger of seeing of packet loss at the bRAS, if you are letting the bRAS police the traffic then it will just drop any packet, so you'll see packet loss on your download as the speeds negotiate. If you are playing a game at the same time then the bRAS has no way of telling the difference between the game and the download so you could lose packets of either.
By setting the profile our side just below the bRAS we control the QoS, so we can ensure that in case of the game and the download that we'd just buffer the download for a few ms so that the game traffic was unaffected and you'd see no packet loss on the download.
In general you're probably only talking about fractions of seconds but it's that little extra bit of QoS that can make a difference particularly for a gamer.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
shaw1234

Hello,
Quick update, currently receiving the speeds detailed below.
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):       4.8             10.7
Attn(dB):       43.0            21.8
Pwr(dBm):       0.0             12.9
Max(Kbps):      5716            888
Rate (Kbps):    5675            888
However over the last week or so and particularly today I notice a huge drop in download speeds from about 4pm to late at night. I was/am downloading a distro at about 460kB/s until 4 o'clock where it slowed to 60-70kB/s and still is  :-\. This happens wherever I download anything. I have not exceeded my usage limit nor does my router have an excessive amount of errors. I wasn't sure whether to post this in this thread or the community support forum, though I have only noticed this problem since switching to ADSL2+. A speed test from mybroadbandspeed.co.uk shows that I still download as fast after 4pm as before (from Plusnet).
Edit: Having completed a BT speed test 20 minutes after posting it showed my profile had dropped from 4000k to 3500k (not sure why as my line is pretty stable) and it seems as though speeds are picking up.
Regards.
Beckman
Dabbler

Hi,
Looks like the transfer went through at about 14:00 today as the the log on my router shows this is when it reconnected and boy what a change in the sync speed (see attached router status screen shot) from 4096 to 17877 woohoo!
Before

After

Has the download speed been capped ? I'm not sure, but this is day one and I seem to remember reading somewhere that 10 days are required for it to settle down.  But it would seem I have the max upload speed already  Grin
Do I or the admin guys need to take any further action to increase the download speed ?
Regards
Phill
Beckman
Dabbler

BT Speed Test Result.
I failed at step two changing the username on the modem and restablishing a link with the test user ID was ok but then the browser failed to find the next test  Sad
Beckman
Dabbler

DAY 2

I also ran the BT speed test again today and got the following...
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 17645 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  1104 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 15000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 7298 kbps

Seems like things are ramping up... ,more tommorrow Smiley