cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Thread (Before and after transfer speed comparisons)

Hex2000

Re: Speed Thread (Before and after transfer speed comparisons)

I had for some time been dissapointed with the speed of my system. I had been informed that it had dropped to a low speed through problems with my line.
I am very happy with the current speeds as a result of this trial.
See test results ;
Original

interim

latest

Smiley
conroc00
Dabbler

My line resynched on the 15th at 10pm, dropping down to 14708 and causing me to restart my router, and my system log shows the router losing connection and resynching around midday on the 16th but no speed changes in either direction.
What's the relevance of the following, though:
BT Speedtester results:
    Your DSL connection rate: 14707 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  984 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 12000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5796 kbps
Plusnet details:
Estimated line speed:
    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
The BT results look consistent with what I'm getting, but the plusnet ones don't seem to reflect that. What are the plusnet values used for, and does it have any impact on my connection?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Quote from: shaw1234

BT have raised my IP profile to 4500 but the PlusNet one seems to be stuck at 3500.

Hi,
We're still working on getting that automated, the data that comes through to us is slightly different to the 20CN network so there's a fair bit of work to get this changed so we're changing them manually as we get them through. I've updated your speed profile on our side now, you'll need to disconnect and reconnect for the change to take effect.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: jmdlp
Can anyone  tell me why the speed is no higher than this - thought it would make more of difference?
Still waiting for new router from PN that Jameseh was sorting out for me?

Router shows as shipping on Thursday night so will probably be with you Monday morning.
I've increased the speed profile on your account to match the BT speed of 1500kbps, again like shaw1234's we've not got this bit automated yet. You'll need to disconnect/reconnect but you should then see an increase in throughput speed I'd have thought.
Sync speed is very hard to judge, we've seen some big increases on the lines that get around 6.5Mbps or above on Max, but we've also seen some good improvements on the lines around 1-1.5Mbps percentagewise but 1 to 2 never looks as good as 6 to 10Mbps. There may still be a bit of room for bit more downstream, the new router may will sync at a higher rate and if you have any extension cabling or anything like that it may make a lot more difference on ADSL2+ than it ever would on Max.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: conroc00

The BT results look consistent with what I'm getting, but the plusnet ones don't seem to reflect that. What are the plusnet values used for, and does it have any impact on my connection?

Yep, same as the ones above. I've updated the speed on our side so after a disconnect/reconnect you should see a speed increase. The speed profile on our side is there to protect the experience and aid with the QoS used by our traffic management systems. In theory without the rate limit our side we send more data to you than your connection could download.
Easiest way to imagine how it works is to think of a DDoS. If someone decideded to DDoS you and fired 100Mbps of data at your connection without any rate limit on our side as much of that 100Mbps as possible would flood our central pipe aftecting all of other customers on that pipe and also see massive packet loss on the BT network. By having the rate limit we'd discard most of the DDoS before it gets to the central pipe so doesn't affect anyone else.
The other way to look it is that by setting the rate limits on our side to be just a tiny fraction lower than the BT side (it's just a few bits) we can retain control of QoS. By ensuring that the data passing down the central pipe to you isn't higher than the bRAS limit under normal circumstances you won't see any packet loss in the BT network. If the data being sent was just a few bits higher than the bRAS then you'd see dropped ATM packets which because the BT side doesn't do the QoS could be any type of traffic whereas by having us do it we can ensure that only lower priority traffic is dropped or buffered for a few miliseconds rather than gaming or VoIP for example which the BT side may drop.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
amit

Morning,
Here are my results for before and after.. Are there any tweaks that I could do to get better results?  Regards Amit.
Pre 21CN Migration
Date Download Speed Upload Speed
Jan 6, 07:47 2845 kbps (356kB/s) 380 kbps (47.5kB/s)
Jan 5, 21:03 2842 kbps (355kB/s) 378 kbps (47.3kB/s)
Jan 5, 07:37 2822 kbps (353kB/s) 380 kbps (47.5kB/s)
Jan 4, 22:52 2830 kbps (354kB/s) 372 kbps (46.5kB/s)
Post 21CN Migration
Date Download Speed Upload Speed
Jan 17, 09:28 3275 kbps (409kB/s) 783 kbps (97.9kB/s)
Jan 14, 19:46 3287 kbps (411kB/s) 762 kbps (95.3kB/s)
Jan 14, 08:24 3289 kbps (411kB/s) 786 kbps (98.3kB/s)
Jan 12, 20:57 3763 kbps (470kB/s) 379 kbps (47.4kB/s)
noise margin downstream: 5 db / noise margin upstream: 6 db
output power downstream: 18 db / output power upstream: 12 db
attenuation downstream: 46 db / attenuation upstream: 27 db
Distance from Exchange: 1.5K
Router: ZyXEL 662HW-D1
florid
Grafter

Hi
    BT have raised my ip profile from 11000kbps to 12000kbps plusnet have me set at 11000kbps could you change this for me please.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Thank you
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        florid
conroc00
Dabbler

Quote from: dave
Yep, same as the ones above. I've updated the speed on our side so after a disconnect/reconnect you should see a speed increase. The speed profile on our side is there to protect the experience and aid with the QoS used by our traffic management systems. In theory without the rate limit our side we send more data to you than your connection could download.

Thanks Dave,
I've reconnected at 991 / 16913, and speedtest.net is now showing download speeds in excess of 11 Mb/s whereas before it was maxing out around 6.5

Chris.
James
Grafter

Hi Florid,
I've now changed your profile to 12000Kbps.
florid
Grafter

Hi Jameseh
                      Have rebooted router now syncing at 
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 14203 kbps 1057 kbps
Line Attenuation 27 db 7 db
Noise Margin 12 db 5 db
its getting better all the time downloads now at over 11000kbps if this keeps up  i will be going up another profile shortly.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Thanks for your help
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              florid Smiley
scaseman

Having been on the trial for a week I thought I would like to comment on my experiences.
                                                   Before                                  Now
Internet connection speed   7.0 Mbps aprox                   8.2 Mbps
Plusnet Sync Speed               5500                                     5500
Download Speed                    5174 aprox                          5174 aprox
Upload Speed                            383 aprox                             845 aprox
I am using a Linksys WAG200G Router.
So at the moment the only real improvement is in uploading.   
I have ckecked my BT sync speed which is 7150 so I think my Plusnet profile needs updating.  
James
Grafter

Hi Scaseman,
I've just updated the profile for you.
Beckman
Dabbler

Still awaiting the switch over from my LLU to the 21CN Tongue
So I thought I'd try that estimate what profile you should be on link.....http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
so here is a screen shot of my result based on the 25db downstream attenuation I currently get .
Can the support guys find out what my current profile actually is and what the default will be when I get switched over ?.  I've tried the BT speed test site and get the same problem that others are experiencing i.e.
"Test Error - The system is currently busy. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."
From the same site ADSL Line checker I got the following info for my distance from my exchange.
  Direct:    1.25 km
  (appx)* By Road: 2.74 km
Regards
Phill
pierre_pierre
Grafter

James
Grafter

That's not what he means.  He's trying to work out what he should get, not what he currently does.
Try this:
http://dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed2.php