cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Thread (Before and after transfer speed comparisons)

florid
Grafter

Re: Speed Thread (Before and after transfer speed comparisons)

Have been on the trial since 19th of december here are my stats for before and after.The line has been stable no loss of connection i lost half my dowlnoad sync speed after two days and was down to about 3500kbps on the 31st got it back and has been ok since,
BEFORE   ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7936 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 27 db 7 db
Noise Margin 7 db 26 db
AFTER   ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8048 kbps 952 kbps
Noise Margin 7 db 8 db
As you can see not much improvement on download sync but the upload is good will post again in a couple of weeks
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              florid
here is update on my speeds down and up
  ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 13634 kbps 976 kbps
Noise Margin 12 db 8 db
as you can see my speeds have improved both down and up i have managed to do this by only having wires 2 and 5 connected on my master and all extensions i would recommend every one does this on the trial here is a link to wesite that will guide you through it  http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Moderator's Note
Quote from: Beckman
Not sure if I've got the insert image working so ...

To include an image of My Broadband Speed test results click the "share"" link on the right of the relevant result then copy the complete "Forum link" text (click on the text, right-click and click Select All, right-click and click Copy) and paste the copied text into your post (right-click then click Paste).
If you want to post an image from your PC you need to attach it to the post using the "Attach" facility that will be exposed if you click Additional Options.
David
David
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Quote from: axisofevil
That 6000Kbps is the same as my old ADSL1 profile and speed tests are showing around 5700Kbps.
Plusnet are showing my ADSL2 profile as 8000Kbps.
I wonder if my profile is set correctly at BT.

Unfortunately the profile updating on our side isn't automated yet so if it changes BT side it won't automatically change our side so chances are it's the BT one that is correct although with the sync rate it should go up. If it doesn't then it could be a fault, not sure we've had any stuck BRAS faults yet but we certainly see them on 20CN from time to time.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: andyizzard
All in all very disappointing on longer lines.

Yeah unfortunately the technology gives a much higher increase on the really good lines, the lines below 1.5Mbps should benefit (which mine is, and my exchange is due March) but the 1.5 - 4Mbps band doesn't get much of a downstream increase. Hopefully though the increase in upload is good and the improvements in the DLM and the stability offer positives.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

But on the plus side Smiley the linespeed seems to recover much faster after a disconnection.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

spemberton

I seem to have some vaiation in quoted sync speed.  Plusnet are suggesting 7150 (the same as before I switched over on the 30/12/08).  BT however are saying 19000.  My modem suggests I am connecting at 21973.
BT Report:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 21972 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  696 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 19000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6558 kbps
Modem:
DSL Status: UP 
DSL Modulation Mode: Auto 
DSL Path Mode: FAST 
Downstream Rate: 21973 Kbps 
Upstream Rate: 696 Kbps 
Downstream Margin: 6 db 
Upstream Margin: 6 db 
Downstream Line Attenuation: 14 
Upstream Line Attenuation: 13 
Downstream Transmit Power: 15 
Upstream Transmit Power: 11 
LOS Errors: 0
On www.mybradbandspeed.co.uk am acheiving 6708 download and 358 upload.  Some way off the headline figures.
James
Grafter

I think you're misunderstanding some of the figures at the top of your post.
7150Kbps is the speed at which you're being profiled - that should change soon enough (or once I've hit a magic button).
19000Kbps is your new IP Profile.
12973Kbps is your synchronisation speed with the exchange.
Give me 5 minutes, then try a reboot and hopefully speeds should be better.
andyizzard
Dabbler

Quote from: dave
Quote from: andyizzard
All in all very disappointing on longer lines.

Yeah unfortunately the technology gives a much higher increase on the really good lines, the lines below 1.5Mbps should benefit (which mine is, and my exchange is due March) but the 1.5 - 4Mbps band doesn't get much of a downstream increase. Hopefully though the increase in upload is good and the improvements in the DLM and the stability offer positives.

Perhaps I spoke too soon, I'm receiving these sync speeds from my router now:
Downstream Rate: 3228 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 664 Kbps
jmd
Grafter

Connected yesterday. Alright, I am awaiting a different router from PN, but when I eventually did the speed test on BT shows some difference from before but not a huge change!  The morning shows 1796 downstream, and 784 upstream.  IP profile 1500 kbps and IP achieved 865.
conroc00
Dabbler

Connected today with a Billion 7300N.
Before:
Down synch rate Kbps 8128
Up synch rate Kbps 448

Downstream
Noise margin dB 11
Attenuation dB 25

Upstream
Noise margin dB 21
Attenuation dB 14

After:
Down synch rate Kbps 16731
Up synch rate Kbps 975

Downstream
Noise margin dB 3.5
Attenuation dB 24

Upstream
Noise margin dB 6.8
Attenuation dB 12
Given that I'm approximately 1km from the exchange as the crow flies, is my downstream synch a bit low? I was thinking I might push 19 or so.
EDIT:
I've just read that back and it sounds a bit ungrateful! Not at all - double the speed is fantastic - and obviously I'll need to give it a couple of days to settle down. Just curious to know what sort of profile you'd expect being this close to the exchange.
Beckman
Dabbler

Have been informed transfer to 21CN to take place sometime in next 15 days so in the meantime I thought I'd paste another pre transfer speed result.

thanks to spraxyt for the image embedding tutorial  Smiley
The image below  shows stats from my 3com OfficeConnect wireless adsl router.
florid
Grafter

Hi
    These are my router stats before the trial  ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7936 kbps 448 kbps
Noise Margin 7 db 26 db
here are my router stats now  ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 13634 kbps 976 kbps
Noise Margin 12 db 8 db
these are my downloads speeds using the bt tester

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 13128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  928 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 11000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 9514 kbps
As you can see a big improvement i am using a Netgear DG834G ROUTER  i was not getting these speeds before i removed all wires except 2 and 5  from master socket and all extensions you can get info on how to do this here  http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php i would recomend to anyone on trial to do this
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              florid
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: conroc00

Downstream
Noise margin dB 3.5
Attenuation dB 24

Given that I'm approximately 1km from the exchange as the crow flies, is my downstream synch a bit low? I was thinking I might push 19 or so.

It's one where it's so hard to judge because the more important figure is how long the phone line is. And that's something most of the time you can only guess at as you don't know exactly what route the line takes back to the exchange and you don't know how much spare cable there is at the exchange. Sometimes lines can have 300m or more of cable at the exchange and can take masssive detours.
My line is a great example, I live about 1.5km from the exchange but only sync at just over 1Mbps on ADSL because the phone line goes all the way around the houses and is about 5km long.
I've left the attenuation figure in the quote because as a very very rough rule of thumb I always estimate line length as approximately 1km for every 10dB (it doesn't work exactly like that but it's near enough for a guess). So the line length is probably somewhere around 2-2.5km. Not many lines are doing to sync above 16,000kbps and I think we've only 1 or 2 that have reached 20,000kbps so far out of the I think 84 that are live.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
shaw1234

Hello,
I was switched yesterday, here are my stats. Unfortunately I couldn't remember exact stats before ADSL2+.
Before:
Down: ~4352  Up: 448
SNR       ~7.8             -
Attn         43.0             -

After:
                      Down            Up
SNR (dB):       7.5             10.3
Attn(dB):       43.0            21.8
Pwr(dBm):       0.0             12.9
Max(Kbps):      5868            888
Rate (Kbps):    5137            888
All in all very happy, a lot of room for an improvement with the down sync. By fiddling with the SNRM on my Belkin router I was able to achieve ~6400 sync with an SNR of about 3.8.
BT have raised my IP profile to 4500 but the PlusNet one seems to be stuck at 3500.
Regards.
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: jmdlp
did the speed test on BT shows some difference from before but not a huge change!   The morning shows 1796 downstream, and 784 upstream.  IP profile 1500 kbps and IP achieved 865.

The speedtest indicated 1992 downstream/752 upstream today at  mid-day.  860 kbps.  Before connection the IP profile was 1000 and now 1500.  Used to get just under 1000 before hand for downstream.
Have checked router I have and it dos say ADSL2.  It is a Belkin so thought I would check on their support site but this particular model does notseem to exist now! Have only had it about 18mths.
Can anyone  tell me why the speed is no higher than this - thought it would make more of difference?
Still waiting for new router from PN that Jameseh was sorting out for me?