cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Thread (Before and after transfer speed comparisons)

michaelm
Grafter

Speed Thread (Before and after transfer speed comparisons)

As a benchmark, this is my current speed on a G5 iMac using Firefox. Already quite high I know and from what I know my current line has very little noise so I can't wait for next week.
Thanks guys

Moderator's Note: Topic retitled to bring out the focus of the thread. David (spraxyt)
566 REPLIES 566
Be3G
Grafter

Re: Speed Thread (Before and after transfer speed comparisons)

Good idea - here're my stats (also from a Mac as it happens):

That's on an IP profile of 3000. So I'm not holding out much hope of seeing a speed increase...
chillypenguin
Grafter

mod:note
Off topic (not volunteering) posts removed from 21CN Update - Plusnet to begin Higher Speed Customer Trial - Volunteer Thread
michaelm
Grafter

Yep good point
I forgot to add that important detail. According to BT my IP profile sits at 7000. So for the time being all looks promising. Time will tell eh? When I get home tonight I'll publish my Attenuation and Noise levels from my router. It is those that I used to calculate my potential ADSL2+ sped and in theory the max is possible.
WIll keep you posted.
Michael
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Just wondering if there is any mileage in doing an early adopter speed test results page?
My speed currently is
Date Download Speed Upload Speed
Today 13:34 3647 kbps (456kB/s) 371 kbps (46.4kB/s)
conducted on http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/
My line is due for change over Dec 4th so watch this space
FYI Exchange is roughly 1.8 miles away, phone line to house underground.
Would the moderators please like to make this into some sort of sense for all or just delete it if you thhink it's rubbish. Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: pierre_pierre
will this one do? 

Moderator's Note.
Yes, thread merged.
David
David
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Ah, Clearly I need to use the search function more  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

or just look at the index, there were less than ten threads under 21CN  section
pnf
Grafter

The information below indicates how my line is currently performing on BBYW option 2 using a Thomson Speedtouch 780WL router.
The line is stable and syncs at 8096 kbps downstream and 448kbps upstream.  The IP profile for the line is 7000 kbps. 
Morning speed tests, taken this week between 10:00 and 11:00, have shown the following results:
Using the BT Speedtester, reported speeds have varied between 5900 and 6400 kbps
Using www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk, reported speeds have varied between 6500 and 6600 kbps
Evening speed tests, taken this week between 20:00 and 23:00, have shown the following results:
Using the BT Speedtester, reported speeds have varied between 10 and 5700 kbps (The very slow figures were on Monday evening)
Using www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk, reported speeds have varied between 3300 and 6600 kbps
Speed tests taken at various times today between 10:00 and 23:00 have shown the following results:
Using the BT Speedtester, reported speeds have varied between 4100 and 6400 kbps
Using www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk, reported speeds have varied between 4200 and 6600 kbps
Router Information - This Morning:
Modulation: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,096
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.5 / 30.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 10.0
Router Information - This Evening:
Modulation: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,096
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.5 / 30.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 7.0
Summary:
Daytime figures have been between 5900 and 6600 kbps
Evening figures have been between 10 and 6600 kbps
The downstream SN Margin varies between 10.0 dB in the morning and 6.0 dB in the evening.
My line is due to go over to ADSL2+ on 4th December.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Here's a marginal difference since this morning (er yesterday morning, is that the time?)
Local information:
Apple imac 2.66GHz intel core 2 duo 2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM, Modem/Router Netgear DG834n (Latest Firmware installed) Next WiFi but wired by ethernet to Mac, WiFi is for laptop and iPhones.

A quiet Saturday morning gives me this:-

Still fairly constant but not due to change until Thursday.

Basing my theory on the fact that I'm around 4 Meg now I'm guessing that I'll get around 12 meg after 21CN turn on or is that over simplifying things? 12 would be nice but upload speed increases are a nice thought, hosting things like family photo albums on my own server would be more viable with a hike in upload speeds and would save my valuable web space.
Anyway, here's todays score.

Still pre 21CN and counting.
michaelm
Grafter

Hi guys
I started checking my speed already as the last time PlusNet said 5 days it actually took three!
I admit it is before 8am on a Saturday where most normal people will be in bed and the network will be quiet but I amgetting some interesting spikes. Please see below:

And just for a lough I also got this result which i assume it was an error on the line somewhere. These speeds are dreamed off in the UK!

Will keep you posted.
Tip: Restart your router a few times over the weekend.
M
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: michaelm
As a benchmark, this is my current speed on a G5 iMac using Firefox. Already quite high I know and from what I know my current line has very little noise so I can't wait for next week.
Thanks guys

Moderator's Note: Topic retitled to bring out the focus of the thread. David (spraxyt)

Is @spraxy a moderator? If he is then the Forum Rules need to be updated
The forums are moderated by customers, namely;  Daniel (assos), Roger (Chemical Brother), Barry Zubel (Barry), & Jonathan (chillypenguin).
Mark
Grafter

The usergroup forums are also moderated by the PUG members ( some of whom are CS moderators too)
If that hasnt been documented clearly then I'm sure the mods will sort that.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what isnt obvious is the section header of Usergroup discussion, despite the fact that this is a main stream forum
i.e. why should Iron Port be under usergroup it is now a main stream matter