Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Tester does not work.

colintivy
Rising Star

Speed Tester does not work.

Hi folks
I have noted that recently when I press "Begin" on the Tester page absolutely nothing happens. I do not look at this very often but see that I last got it to work was Dec 6th last!  My connection seems to be up to scratch, not over-fast but with the damp string that connects me to the outside world I am not surprised. If you are able to look at my history folder you will see what I mean.
I am not sure that this fits in with the threads here, but I do not see any reported bugs like it. I am on Hardy with Firefox 3...all up to date.
A puzzled colintivy  Sad
34 REPLIES 34
Assos
Grafter

Re: Speed Tester does not work.

Moderators Note:
Moved to community support, as the bugs forum is only for bugs relating to the community site Smiley
Daniel
tonycollinet
Grafter

I had that tonight with the chome browser (what browser are you using)
It worked OK with IE, and started working in chrome when I shut down all chrome windows before re-opening.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi collinet,
Thanks for reply.. I am using Firefox3 (see original post). The failure is so far consistent and, as far as I can see, nothing has been done to trigger it off. The opening screen comes up quite normally from the "Related Sites" list and selecting any of the other folders works OK except for the graph option which has never worked. Clearly not being able to get a check is not vital but the facility might show up a problem if speeds change dramatically. One in August last was quite untypical. I do not feel aggrieved enough to try out one of the alternative tools but if the option is provided I feel that it should work. Having said that I think that the problem is here because it seems that no one else has grumbled!
We await more flashes of brilliance from someone.
colintivy
newmillscomp
Grafter

This is what I have been getting all morning when I try it
Unexpected result received when querying the network to find your services connection details. Please try again shortly, but if this problem persists raise the issue with your service provider.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

folders works OK except for the graph option which has never worked.

The results are stored via a cookie  If you clear cookies you cant graph one result
I did get the message a few times, think it was cleared up by PN that time, about New Year
colintivy
Rising Star

pierre_pierre,
Thanks for that, I did not know that I cleared cookies...must look into that if you tell  me where.
I note that I still cannot get the tester to run..as of 10 minutes ago! It has got to be local otherwise others must have shouted by now?Huh
colintivy
James
Grafter

Coin,
I'm afraid (well kinda) that you're the only person I've seen with a similar complaint.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

What browser are you using?
Are you accepting cookies?
Do you have Javascript enabled?
Do you have flash enabled?
Are you running any browser add ons or additional software for helping you browse the web?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
mal0z
Grafter

We had a similar issue with my referals PC - I reinstalled Java - and all was well.
That was using FF 3 too.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Kelly
#8 I am not sure about cookies (see earlier posts).
Sun-java 6 loaded and presumably enabled, ditto Adobe Flash Player.
I am on Hardy, fully up to date. Firefox3 ditto. No add-ons apart from the above. Still no activity from clicking on "Begin" on My Broadband Speed. Cannot think of any changes since Dec., apart from the updates to Hardy, that could have caused the problem. Other bits of the tester seem to work apart from graph (also see earlier posts). Post seems to indicate that I am on my own here. I can live with it but, being a newbie (exiled from Win98SE) I am curious. Got most of the thick books which do not help much.
colintivy
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Kelly (again)
Further to my last, I have checked Firefox Preferences and can confirm that cookies are accepted and java enabled. Dont know more about Flash.
C.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

What happens if you go straight to http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/speedtest
?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Kelly!
Ho Ho that worked! I note that using the link at the bottom of this page I only get connected to Mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ ie without the suffix speed test. Any ideas on correcting this address within my machine?Huh
colintivy :.)
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi folks.
Further to my last post. I have had time to grope around. I have looked at the Element Properties of the Speed Test link and found that the Address given leaves out the speedtest suffix. This is, of course, the cause of all the trouble. Does anybody know how this link can be edited? It does not allow it in the Properties panel but I guess that someone in PN will know.
colintivy :.)