Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Suggestions.

OshB5
Grafter

Re: Speed Suggestions.

Thanks Chris
I will get back to you as soon as im up and running
Just to let you know Kevin my suspicions about the cheap modem was right . It came this morning and was "NOT2 a gigabit router LOl and was not even the WLM-4501 as stated in the ad. It ended up being a WLM-2501 Which is better than any of my two as it has N wifi up to 300Mbps. So I might just plug this one in without connecting it to the DSL for the next day or so to see what its like and how it performs. And see what the stats reporting is like.. I mean for £4.99 what do you want . Plus can be a spare if or when I get a gigabit one.
And once again thank you both for all the help.
Best regards Osh
OshB5
Grafter

Just a couple of observations iv had today ..
Im not having much luck with this sitecom modem although it holds sync and stays online? But for some reason I can no longer use my UltraVNC to get hold of my other PC thats in the shed and does all the hard work . I am now having to go to it to make it do anything . But iv no idea why VNC wont work when it did over the other two modems?
The starts for the first day are
Interface    Rx pkt         Rx err    Rx drop        Tx pkt      Tx err    Tx drop
eth0           2909177    0                13            2847135      0           0
wlan0         1020331    3101          0             1676113       0           0
0_38           2976273    24             22           2052558      1023     0
ADSL Statistics
Mode :                         ADSL2
Latency :                     Fast
Trellis Coding :           Enable
Power Level :              L0
Uptime :                      09:39:24

Downstream         Upstream
SNR Margin (dB) :                    14.5                         18.7
Attenuation (dB) :                     52.5                         31.0
Output Power (dBm) :              18.0                          12.5
Attainable Rate (Kbps) :           3296                        888
Rate(Kbps) :                             3002                        443
DTM frame bytes :                    253                          14
RS code word check bytes :      2                             0
RS code word DMT frame size : 2.69                        0.99
Interleaver depth :                      1                            1
Delay (msec) :                            0.67                       0.24>
FEC :                                         89                           0
CRC :                                         99                           65504
Total ES :                                   84                            0
Total SES :                                 0                             0
Total UAS :                                 0                             0

And I rearlly need the VNC to do  various bits on the other PCs all from one Laptop that is.
Regs Andy
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Andy,
Setting aside your VNC issue, your SNRM is still high as is the US CRC count.
Your upstream is also capped.
Has the SNRM reset been done yet?

Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

OshB5
Grafter

Hi Kevin
No not yet as I was waiting for this new Modem/ router to get here and set it up. Then once we knew it was OK get Chris to do a reset SNRM? But if the modem aint no good then thought it might be better waiting till I get one that is OK. As for the UP CRC Im not sure why so much so soon? Is that a problem?  Im thinking It might be best just to go to either Amazon or Ebuyer and get a brand new modem and job done?
Or should I just get the SNRM done ASAP?
Anyway these are the latest stats from the sitecomWLM2501.
ADSL Statistics
Mode :   ADSL2
Latency :   Fast
Trellis Coding :   Enable
Power Level :   L0
Uptime :   2 days, 04:25:30

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB) :   14.3 18.3
Attenuation (dB) :   52.5 31.0
Output Power (dBm) :   18.0 12.5
Attainable Rate (Kbps) :   3296 888
Rate(Kbps) :   3002 443
DTM frame bytes :   253 14
RS code word check bytes :   2 0
RS code word DMT frame size :   2.69 0.99
Interleaver depth :   1 1
Delay (msec) :   0.67 0.24>
FEC :   408 0
CRC :   417 65504
Total ES :   359 0
Total SES :   0 0
Total UAS :   0 0
The WiFi Is fine But the modem has loads and loads of settings that you can play around with and there may be some that might be the reason for some of the problems that the modem is encountering?
regards Osh
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Looks like the 65504 value for the upstream CRC count is wrong. If the upstream ES figure of zero is correct, that would imply zero upstream CRC errors. Perhaps the number might change from 65504 should an upstream CRC error ever occur.
OshB5
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Hi Osh,
That's absolutely fine, just give me a shout when you'd like the SNR Reset and I'll get that sorted out for you.

Hello Chris
Iv included my Stats from todays checks and was just wondering. Would it be OK if you did the SNR Reset today please?
Then will be able to see if I get any benefit from it. Many thanks
OR looking at the wLan Rx err and the 0-38 Tx err do you think there could possibly a problem with the modem As I am having some other in house networking issuess as well?  Just a Thought.. And Its the same with the upstream CRCs I mean I dont want you to waste your time doing a SNR reset when there might be a modem/router problem. at this end..
I know the old linksys never gave me any in house (WiFi - Wired) problems like I have now or Plex server issues from PC to RoKu media player problems like I now am getting LOL.
Regards Osh

Statistics
This page shows the current status and some basic settings of the device.
Interface Rx pkt      Rx err Rx drop Tx pkt      Tx err Tx drop
eth0 31503244 0        300        24998829 0        0
wlan0 10440285 26146 0        22000416 0        0
0_38 24264541 189       153     17619248 9935 0

ADSL Statistics
Uptime :   4 days, 21:16:28

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB) :   14.9 18.6
FEC :   1106 0
CRC :   977 393184
Total ES :   782 0
OshB5
Grafter

Quote from: OshB5
Hi Osh,
That's absolutely fine, just give me a shout when you'd like the SNR Reset and I'll get that sorted out for you.

Hello Chris
Iv included my Stats from todays checks and was just wondering. Would it be OK if you did the SNR Reset today please?
Then will be able to see if I get any benefit from it. Many thanks
OR looking at the wLan Rx err and the 0-38 Tx err do you think there could possibly a problem with the modem As I am having some other in house networking issuess as well?  Just a Thought.. And Its the same with the upstream CRCs I mean I dont want you to waste your time doing a SNR reset when there might be a modem/router problem. at this end..
I know the old linksys never gave me any in house (WiFi - Wired) problems like I have now or Plex server issues from PC to RoKu media player problems like I now am getting. But I am getting faster WiFi that is a Plus but the only one. LOL
Like I said a few messages ago I might be better off just buying a new Modem /Router But its a right mine feild out there and there are so many with all types of things wrong when you go looking. Have you seen any one give good comments on any modems they are using on Plusnet/Force9s line? Thanks I Think the main thing I need is good wifi coverage and that is my No1 wish. but obviously need at least 300kbps wiFi as well as a minimum?
Regards Osh

Statistics
This page shows the current status and some basic settings of the device.
Interface Rx pkt      Rx err Rx drop Tx pkt      Tx err Tx drop
eth0 31503244 0        300        24998829 0        0
wlan0 10440285 26146 0        22000416 0        0
0_38 24264541 189       153     17619248 9935 0

ADSL Statistics
Uptime :   4 days, 21:16:28

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB) :   14.9 18.6
FEC :   1106 0
CRC :   977 393184
Total ES :   782 0
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I sure can.
Couple of questions first though.
Would you like Interleaving on or off?
Would you like your SNR Target setting to 6db?
OshB5
Grafter

Would you like Interleaving on or off?
Would you like your SNR Target setting to 6db?

Hi Chris
Sorry for the late reply. yes you can try the SNR to 6 please and will give it a try.
As for interleaving Im not sure what it is for or what it does. I did see that it was put on a guys line because it was unstable Then another guy said he wanted it switching off as he did a lot of gaming. But Like I say this is the first modem I have seen it on.. Im not a gamer apart from the odd browser game. Which I would think it dont mean. So will leave that up to you..
I dont know if it makes any difference but im putting the old Linksys back in till I get a new modem sent out as this one is great over WiFi but I cannot live with it over wired its messinf all the network up and now causing things not to connect from the wired to even the internet . And yet wifi Pcs connect fine. So I am off to change it now.. I just hope it dont cause any probs . I mean it did stay in sync all the last time It was in and I only changed it because of the wiFi speed so fingers crossed it should be OK.
thanks again
Regards Andy
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's fine Andy.
I'll get that reset in the morning for you and I'll stick Interleaving on and if you decide you need it off at any time, for any reason, give us a shout and we can always switch it off.
OshB5
Grafter

That's fine Andy.
I'll get that reset in the morning for you and I'll stick Interleaving on and if you decide you need it off at any time, for any reason, give us a shout and we can always switch it off.

Thanks Chris
On the moden Stats It says Interleaver depth !? is that anything to do with it?
All the best
Regs Andy
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Andy,
I've put that reset through with Interleaving on, as I say it can be removed at request.
Interleaving has a few different levels, Low, Medium or High - depending on how severe a dropping connection fault might be, for example, may depending on the level of Interleaving applied applied to a line.
In this instance, we'd put a low level of Interleaving on.
OshB5
Grafter

WOW  Grin
Here are the latest Stats..
So far everything is looking great.Im just a bit fed up as I have a online storage thats gone belly up Plus when they restarted the front end got changed and it lost all my setting and everything I had put into it over the last few months. I only found out when I changed it back.and restarted the front end.
Interface Rx pkt         Rx err Rx drop Tx pkt       Tx err Tx drop
eth0 38670328 0         549         29191722 0         0
wlan0 13304488 40513 0         28287460 0         0
0_38 28170194 228         178  20741203 14007 0

ADSL Statistics
Mode :  ADSL2
Latency :  Interleave
Trellis Coding :  Enable
Power Level :  L0
Uptime :  6 days, 02:49:16

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB) :  6.4 19.0
Attenuation (dB) :  52.0 31.0
Output Power (dBm) :  18.5 12.5
Attainable Rate (Kbps) :  6212 852
Rate(Kbps) :  5479 440
DTM frame bytes :  171 56
RS code word check bytes :  12 8
RS code word DMT frame size :  0.99 4.00
Interleaver depth :  32 8
Delay (msec) :  7.98 8.00>
FEC :  326646 0
CRC :  107 0
Total ES :  81 0
Total SES :  0 0
Total UAS :  0 0
Any way thanks for this Chris its nice to see it up the at nearly twice the speed and should be enough to be able to stream from some of the online sites. I will keep you informed and check back after a few days to check how it looks at your end if thats OK.#
Also I must say on her that once again Plus.nets Support has come through. Iv been with then well F9 at the start and now Plusnet for either just under or just over 14years in total I know not all BB or all Plusnet. At the start when it was the small F9 The service was great. Then I thought with the intervention of BT it would drop off but it did not Then when we where taken over by Plusnet I thought thats it downhill from here. BUT I can honistly say I have always had good service and support from each and every one of them. Thats not a load of Bull either. When I first started I was a fit person who just used the internet. however through no fault of my own I am now quite heavily disabled and the internet has gone from a tool of use to more of a lifeline in that I am virtually unable to walk (that is a few meters at the most) So most of the day is spent either sitting or laying and the internet is there and being used at almost every turn weather its from watching the TV, paying the bills, doing the weekly shop reading a book or the morning paper to listening to music. I dont think people who have not yet realised just how much they would miss the net if it was not there. I know I would be devastated and so would my quality of life. Some of you may scoff at that. But I say till you are in a position to judge then please dont..
So The ongoing service and support Plusnet has given over the years is second to none. I would if I could justify or even afford it go onto FTTC but circumstance prohibit that Im afraid.  Cry hence the reason for trying to get this connection as fast as it can go..
Right time to get off my soap box. (I wish I was able to get on one though LOL) And thats my blarting on done for the next month
Anyway when all is done and said I have a faster connection I am a happy bunny and everything is just fine. Thanks Chris
Regs Osh
OshB5
Grafter

Hi Again
One Thing I have noticed I am getting a lot of Downstrean FEC errors? What does this mean?
Also The Interleaving Will I notice anything at my end such as delays or anything
Like such in pressing the key to go to a site and it not coming up straigt away.? As I seam to have some sort of delay and the various web pages dont seam to be as fast as if the browser is holding its breath for a couple of seconds Isit that?
Osh
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Osh,
Interleaving *may* give you that effect yes. Hopefully it's not too painful for you.
Interleaving:
Interleaving, you may hear from some, is a form of error correction. Everytime you go to visit a website data is sent to a server that hosts the website, and then that request is sent back to you.
That process is you asking bbc.co.uk to be displayed and bbc.co.uk coming back as you requested and displaying.
When bbc.co.uk is requested, the server that hosts it, sends 'Data Packets'. There are numerous packets that make up the message that you receive to display the website. With Interleaving Off the packets are received absolutely fine and without any problems.
With Interleaving on, the packets are put into many smaller bits, and when received can take longer to re-assemble the data you've received. The delay you see if exactly that, the data packets being re-built. I believe depending on the level of Interleaving applied on the line, it can add a couple milliseconds onto the response time during browsing/gaming.
The FEC Errors are only displayed when Interleaving is on your line. FEC Errors show you how many errors have been automatically corrected by having Interleaving enabled on your line - so it's nothing to worry about.