Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Slow

oslingsby

Speed Slow

Hi, new user here but getting slow speeds
BT Speedtester Results
Download speedachieved during the test was - 697 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2048 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1500 Kbps
Router Stats
SNR Margin: 12.5 19.0 db
Line Attenuation: 61.0 31.5 db
Data Rate: 2048 448 kbps
Anyone any idea what I can try, I have currently got router into microfilter straight into test socket
Thanks in advance
Oli
2 REPLIES 2
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: Speed Slow

Your SNR margin is a little high, suggesting that you have been getting some disconnections on your line. This is the usual result of the exchange's "DLM" process, which is reacting to errors and disconnections that it can see on the line. These errors could be intermittent, or could have been seen previously (before you plugged into the test socket).
Right now, your sync speed is 2048 which isn't too bad for your line, and BT have calculated an IP Profile of 1500.
However, if you *have* been suffering from disconnections, it is possible that Plusnet's copy has not yet been updated by BT, and they're still working of an older, lower, IP profile value.
You can check Plusnet's value at this page. It ought to be the same as BT's value, but can be delayed by up to 12 hours.
If Plusnet's value is low, then it out to catch up to BT's value soon. If it seems to not do these, then Plusnet staff can set it manually - request here (in office hours), or phone in.
That should get download speeds back to around 1300 (from the IP profile of 1500, and sync speed of 2048).
If your line remains stable, then the same DLM process will eventually lower the target SNRM values, and your sync speed will increase - giving some small improvements in the IP profile too. However, if your line isn't stable... then you'll continue to see your speed yo-yo'ing. If that happens, it'll be time to sort out the state of the line...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speed Slow

Hi there,
From checking your connection logs I guess you plugged the router into the test socket at about 7:30pm yesterday? If so there's without a doubt something plugged into your phone line that's causing interference and therefore intermittent connection issues (or else there's a problem with the extension wiring itself).
It might be worth looking at an iplate or possibly disconnecting the ring wire (there's tutorials on how to do this online, if you wish I'll dig one up for you) - alternatively try leaving the router in the master socket (so plug the faceplate back in) and see if it's still dodgy, if not then plug phones back in one by one to see what's causing the interference.