Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Profile

Poggers001
Dabbler

Speed Profile

Hello,
I was just wondering if some fine tuning would help boost my routers speed a little. It's showing me the following:
1. Product name: Plusnet Hub

4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 20 days, 14:40:26
6. Data rate: 940 / 3832
7. Maximum data rate: 960 / 3284
8. Noise margin: 6.3 / 8.9
9. Line attenuation: 27.6 / 47.9
10. Signal attenuation: 27.8 / 47.3
Is there a way of getting the max data rate to match the data rate please?
Regards,
Lewis
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Speed Profile

Do you get better results if you remove the faceplate from the MASTER phone socket, and plug your modem/router (using a short RJ11 cable) into the hidden TEST socket, as shown below -

This quick test will determine whether there is much you can do to improve things !
Ideally you would want to try doing this during daylight hours, as you are more likely to get a higher sync, than after dark.
Poggers001
Dabbler

Hi,
No the results are the same - and I have an interstitial plate to boot so all good there.
Lewis
Anonymous
Not applicable

As the "Maximum data rate" is is the same when plugged into the TEST socket, then there isn't much you can do for a quick fix.
Other things which might be worth considering -

• You could try obtaining a modem/router which has the "SNR tweak" facility.
    This allows you to adjust and override the target SNR negotiated with the exchange, which in turn can allow you to obtain increased sync speeds at the cost of higher errors - so you need to find a good balance !.
  • Improve the mains power supply to the modem/router, as over time the exchange may learn that the modem is more stable and correspondingly increase your sync speeds.
     1)  Don't switch off the modem at night.
     2)  Try not to reboot or restart the modem unless absolutely necessary.
     3)  Plug the mains power supply into a surge protected socket, better still use a surge protector with RFI/EMI filtering.
     4)  Use an uninterruptable mains power supply, so the mains power isn't lost during power cuts, voltage drops, or lightning storms.
  • If you are REALLY keen on getting every last drop of throughput, you might want to consider building a caching proxy server for your home network.
    A caching proxy (such a Squid), reduces internet download requirements and improves response times by caching and reusing frequently-requested web pages, thereby reducing the demands on your internet connection - effectively leaving you with additional bandwidth which gives the appearance of increased speed.

I have done all these things (and more), and has made my slow internet much more tolerable (with four users).
Wink